What kind of wood for painted outdoor use

tigerwoodKhorns

I installed a few lights on my house that are very large.  They are designed to use the 2 small threaded rods to hold them.  These do not make me comfortable. 

I want to add a piece of wood behind each light.  I will attach to the house using masonry screws (so I should be able to change the wood if necessary).  I will drill a few more holes in th elight and add 1/8 screws to hold it. 

It is very hot and very dry here.

I have some poplar and soem birch plywood that I can use.  I know that neither is rot resistant, but these will be painted.  Is this an issue or should I use some other type of wood?

There will only be a small exposed section (maybe 1' surrounding the base of the fixture) and it will be painted. 

If these woods are OK, should I use the plywood to help resist warping? 

Well, I need 2 pieces of wood, 8" x 23" by maybe 5/8 to 1" thick, thickness is really not an issue.

I am not going to buy a sheet of marine plywood for this. 

What are my existing overhangs made out of?  Theyhave made it for 15 years with no problems? 

Are they Fir?

either doug fir or pine more than likely.

The plywood you have should work fine. I would prime it with two coats then paint it. If you had a router to make the edges more attractive might be a nice touch.

Thanks. 

I cannot settle on "more attractive."  I am going to surround these with a slate pattern and then picture frame the pattern.  This will transition to the stone veneer that I am installing.  I am then converting the lights to low lumen leds (way too many watts rights now, I want them much dimmer) and adding spotlights in the eves of the house to "rain" dim light down the side of the house to accent the stonework at night. 

These lights surround a garage door so I then need to paint the garage door to look like this:

http://www.everythingicreate.com/p/garage-door-tutorial.html

I use to try to squeeze more HP out of Chevys. now I do this. 

The plywood you have should work fine. I would prime it with two coats then paint it. If you had a router to make the edges more attractive might be a nice touch.

Thanks. 

I cannot settle on "more attractive."  I am going to surround these with a slate pattern and then picture frame the pattern.  This will transition to the stone veneer that I am installing.  I am then converting the lights to low lumen leds (way too many watts rights now, I want them much dimmer) and adding spotlights in the eves of the house to "rain" dim light down the side of the house to accent the stonework at night. 

These lights surround a garage door so I then need to paint the garage door to look like this:

http://www.everythingicreate.com/p/garage-door-tutorial.html

I use to try to squeeze more HP out of Chevys. now I do this. 

Since LED lights can be dimmed, consider adding dimmer switches in case you ever want/need more than just accent lighting. Think "headroom." Dimmers are cheap...

What about locust?  I don't think I've ever seen it at the store but from what I understand it's supposed to be about impervious to moisture.

Some people use it for fence posts and it is supposed to last for years & years.  This would be direct burial.  I don't know if the posts we have out by the grapes are of locust or cedar (I think they're locust), I can vouch that I've been around my wife and her family 1989.  The fence posts are standing today that were there then (holding the grapes)

If the painted garage doors have strong exposure to sun, you design will fade rapidly, and if you screw up the application it will flake as well.

As far as the wood goes, use plastic and be done with it.

If you still want to use wood, use an oil primer and two finish coats of SW Duration, or Ben Moore Aura

If the painted garage doors have strong exposure to sun, you design will fade rapidly, and if you screw up the application it will flake as well.

As far as the wood goes, use plastic and be done with it.

If you still want to use wood, use an oil primer and two finish coats of SW Duration, or Ben Moore Aura

I know, I am worried about the garage paint lasting.  But the garages need to be repainted anyway whenm I redo the house, so I just need to look into this more.  The original paint lasted 15 years and looks really good, but that is a factory finish. 

My dad made adirondack chairs out of pine, painted them with rustoleum, and they lasted out in the direct sunlight and rain for years while still looking new.

Otherwise I dunno but yeah marine plywood seems optimal. Only problem is that you may need to prime and sand the edges real well or else the layers of wood will show, which may not look all that great.