Eminence Kappa 15 C's + Cornwall II's

Lemon string

Dropped a pair of Eminence Kappa 15 c's into the Cornwall II's tonight. I had been wanting to do this for sometime after reading a couple different threads here on the subject. Justin Weber of Amps and Sound really encouraged me to go for it and Im glad he did!

To my ears......

The bass is tighter than what the k-34e were producing. As a result the presentation is cleaner and more precise which intern is producing a soundstage with more space between instruments and the imaging is more detailed and accurate.

I'd recommend this mod to anyone that has cornwalls that is looking to improve the areas that I mentioned. It is a simple plug and play mod that won't break the bank.

Thanks Justin and to the others that have posted on these woofers. Im a happy camper. :)  

Edited by Lemon string
  • Like 4

Seth, that's great to know.   Glad you are happy with them.  I've been very pleased with mine, and will be putting another pair in the Belle's soon.  I have a couple of very old good friends coming to stay this weekend who have been building awesome tube amps from incredible vintage tubes for quite a few years, and they will be bringing some of their creations with them to play with my Cornwalls and Belles....will post some pics when we get a chance and are sober enough to hold the camera steady....We will be going to the Ft. Wayne Indiana Hamfest this weekend to see if we can find some goodies....

• Like 2

Seth, that's great to know.   Glad you are happy with them.  I've been very pleased with mine, and will be putting another pair in the Belle's soon.  I have a couple of very old good friends coming to stay this weekend who have been building awesome tube amps from incredible vintage tubes for quite a few years, and they will be bringing some of their creations with them to play with my Cornwalls and Belles....will post some pics when we get a chance and are sober enough to hold the camera steady....We will be going to the Ft. Wayne Indiana Hamfest this weekend to see if we can find some goodies....

Sounds like a blast! You think we should start thinking about another GTG with our midwest brethren?

• Like 1

So... once again... is the kappa c the best woofer direct replacement for the cornwall, or just the most cost effective?

I haven't tried any others so I can't answer that but as I said they do sound great and in my case better than the stock part did and I don't know that they are the most cost effective but imo they are reasonably priced.

Rudy81 was using Eminence Kappalite 3015LF's in the DBB cabinets I now posses, which if you recall were built to match Cornwall cabinet parameters. I only heard them in an open baffle configuration, but they were very very nice.

kappalite-3015lf.pdf

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappalite-3015lf-neo-15-speaker-driver--290-598

I'd like to hear more descriptions about HOW the 15C sounds different.  I know this is subjective stuff and can be tricky to communicate... could others chime in with a comparison to the K33 ?  Does it blend well with a stock setup?  Anyone have it mixed with non stock crossovers or mid horns?

If it is a little more efficient than the K33 that could explain some perceptions.  But I'm interested in more than what I could obtain but just changing the attenuation on my mids or highs.  

I'd like to hear more descriptions about HOW the 15C sounds different.  I know this is subjective stuff and can be tricky to communicate... could others chime in with a comparison to the K33 ?  Does it blend well with a stock setup?  Anyone have it mixed with non stock crossovers or mid horns?

If it is a little more efficient than the K33 that could explain some perceptions.  But I'm interested in more than what I could obtain but just changing the attenuation on my mids or highs.  

here's the original thread that got me interested in pursuing this mod:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149442-lascala-sonic-detail-improvement-for-only-22098/?hl=%2Blascala+%2Bwoofer

ClaudeJ is the original poster and he clearly has a lot of knowledge. Enjoy the read theres a lot to take in and make a good case to give them a whirl.

• Like 1

here's the original thread that got me interested in pursuing this mod:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149442-lascala-sonic-detail-improvement-for-only-22098/?hl=%2Blascala+%2Bwoofer

ClaudeJ is the original poster and he clearly has a lot of knowledge. Enjoy the read theres a lot to take in and make a good case to give them a whirl.

I thought this sounded like a familiar topic but didn't remember the model mentioned. Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Yup, Kappa 15 C’s are a worthy replacement in Cornwall 2s.

I just bought a pair to try in the newest addition to my Klipsch family - LaScalas!

The thing is, it was far easier to try them in my Cornwall 2s first. So I did!

I have read the Kappa 15 C doesn’t go as low as the stock K-33-E/K-34-E, yet it has an Fs of 31hz (?!) AND higher sensitivity.

Whatever bass (if any) that was lost is not missed. 

What is there is more detail.

Tight, articulate, and punchy would be the best way to desribe the result.

Very comparable to that of the CF-3s I sold once I brought home the LaScalas.

Unless the Xmax proves to be a problem (which it has not yet) I may have to order a second pair for their original destination.