Am I missing something?

oscarsear

I also think there is a difference between political and social discussions.  I think this topic could have gone either way, but discussion was kept 95% to discussing social issues.

I say, good job everybody (including Klipsch mods).  :emotion-21:

In the past I have had a thread locked due to being "Political".  I was told that these always ended badly, ALWAYS.  Well I'm glad to see that this is not true.  I'm Proud to be associated with a group of people that can discuss political and social issues without fighting.  I guess things have changed for the better in that respect.

I also thank the Moderators  for letting this thread run.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 3

The overall problem is that we have allowed the government, and these left winged Liberals to abuse their powers and dictate to us what we can and can't do as parents raising our kids. Overall we can't discipline our kids so that they learn respect for others and don't have the I'm owed mentality. They don't fear police or anyone for the matter in society and will do whatever they want, and the people who run this country now force upon us to accept everyone for what they are,no matter what and if we don't we are bad people and bad parents and the state will step in and do what they want.

Now as for people who may have an issue mentally, there is no help for them due to the same mentioned where the Liberal has forced us to accept them as "different" to be PC, instead of "sick" and in need of "care". We pump meds in them to keep the corps lining the pockets of said representatives happy,instead of helping with their issue. So these people walk around doped up from their meds without having these so called doctors really getting to know their patients and their needs because it's easier to make them "zombies" while getting paid to write these scrips so big corps can continue making money to donate to these lifetime reps in congress. There is no taking responsibility for ones actions anymore as we have let these reps take that out of our hands. Just my opinion.

The person getting shot could have had a million different things done, but unless we were there to see what was happening, will not get the full story of what really happened, there will always be 3 sides to a story.And the videos we do see from everyone in today's society never show the actual truth, just the truth based on their feelings and the way they edit them. I'm sure there was at least 10-15 different videos taken by bystanders and every one of them had a different view on things.  Some people will say the person calling shouldn't have said what he said, some will agree he did correct,some will say the police were wrong, some will agree with them. Either way it's a travesty we've gotten to this point and it's due to the government, no one else.

Wow. Imagine how many more children will be corrupted by liberals when abortion becomes illegal. Amen.

Yes, you are missing something; the knowledge and training of a skilled police officer.  I don't say that flippantly, as you are obviously intelligent and thoughtful, but I want to make the point, there are things about police training you don't know.

Have you ever thought that maybe "training" is the issue? Training nowadays is apparently becoming more and more of an "us vs. them" brainwashing school.

As to your second question, you ask "why wasn't taser used?"  There is an effective range in which a taser can be used with I think is within 5-10 feet feet, as there is an effective range police know a knife wielding person can attack, which is I think around 30 feet.  The bottom line is you don't bring a taser to a knife fight.  Tasers do NOT always incapacitate, and tactically they are not the appropriate response to a knife wielding person.

Eh, not really. You almost sounded like you knew what you were talking about there for a minute. :) You were trying to invoke the 21 foot rule and jacked it all up. The idea is that someone 21 feet away can get to you and put a blade in your gut BEFORE YOU CAN DRAW and get a round off. That's not what happened here, they not only had already drawn but there was a rifle pointed at her. There were three cops on the scene with guns drawn. They were already within range of a taser but even if they weren't, I'm pretty sure that the last guy could have gotten within usable range with the taser while being covered by the other two. If she charges, yeah, drop her. Otherwise, come on guys.

Besides, if you were really worried about the distance, according to the OP they were 10 feet away! With a rifle! Back up if you're worried about it!

I have police friends including one on a SWAT team in a major city. I get that knives can do serious damage and the ones I know are plenty willing to pass around photos that prove this. However, what's being lost is the humanity of it all. The streets are not a war zone. Stop treating mentally ill people like a suicide bomber. If you've got two cops with guns including an AR, 10 feet away, and a third that has a taser that was already drawn, there's no reason this woman should have ended up dead.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Have you ever thought that maybe "training" is the issue? Training nowadays is apparently becoming more and more of an "us vs. them" brainwashing school.

(I hope I have the quote attributed to the right person.  If not, then I'm talking over your shoulder, MetLake.  :P  )

+++

My son is going for a week of "brainwashing school" starting Monday.  His department will be training him on how to ride his bike. :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

I'm not probably not able to literate this as well as some others here , but I have had the feeling whenever I have had any dealings with law enforcement that everybody is guilty until they have "checked you out". They have a tendency to demand respect, but seem for the most part incapable of reciprocating the same. Let me say that I have never been charged with any crime, and am only talking about things like routine traffic stops, or giving assistance or information when a neighbours alarm has gone off. Police complaints are overwhelmingly made up of the same type of things I am talking about, and a large proportion of the general public obviously have the same issues. I respect "wvu80" defensive views, but he has an obvious bias, and feels that we are making a personal attack towards a profession his son is going into. Hopefully he will discuss some of these things with his son, and just maybe some of it will stick with him and  he will not become a cardboard cut-out of some of the officers that I have had the misfortune to meet. I also think a lot of older people, especially, feel somewhat put out to be treated with less than a modicum of respect by these 20 something year old kids, wielding immense power that their short years on this earth has not equipped them for.

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 1

I haven't met Dave's son, but I have met Dave. You won't meet a kinder person. He is also one of the best listeners I know. If father like son is true in his case, then he will be an excellent policeman.

Dave, don't get too big of a head here. You might have to come in the roll-up door next time you come down to the shop.   B)

(I hope I have the quote attributed to the right person.  If not, then I'm talking over your shoulder, MetLake.  :P  )

+++

My son is going for a week of "brainwashing school" starting Monday.  His department will be training him on how to ride his bike. :rolleyes:

No it's the right person.  Not trying to be insulting here but it is what it is.  My grandfather was a police and FBI trainer.  My uncle is a K9 handler in a large city.  I have multiple friends who are cops, including my neighbor plus some shooting buddies.  I realize it's an important role and I respect the job but also think you're probably kidding yourself if you think it doesn't change you.  It seems like it's worse in big cities. 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

My comments that were made also may not have gotten across like I wanted them to after re-reading them, but my point is this, we have gotten away from looking at our neighbors as just that-neighbors. It used to be neighbors watched each other's kids, would say something to everyone's kids if they did something wrong and the child or children would obey as they were their elders. People respected one another and went out of their way to lend a helping hand. Now look at today and the way people keep to themselves and are almost "hiding" from one another. And that's where my point comes down to the Liberal mentality of shoving down our throats what has been shoved down them for the past 20 plus years. It has made people stay away from each other and everyone's mentality today is to not trust your neighbor,including police,emt, and other people in those fields. I have 7 relatives that are cops, and about 30-40 friends that are cops. I grew up in Jersey City where in certain neighborhoods the police stopped going to them on calls as when they did, people threw refrigerators and washing machines off the roof tops and several cops were killed. Then the only people who would go were the fire department, then only EMT's. it got so bad that they tore down those buildings due to this. Fast forward to this past summer, a black person goes into a store and bum rushes the armed guard who was also black and takes his gun,police get called and as they are pulling up he steps outside and shoots the cop who was hispanic in the head before he even gets out of his car,kid dies immediately. 2nd cop also gets shot,perp gets killed and his wife goes on T.V. in an interview saying her husband should have killed more than those 2 pigs.Then we get blacks threatening to kill more white cops and the Black Panthers get involved with it also. There wasn't any marches going on, there weren't any activists getting involved and it was swept under the carpet.Why would any cop want to "take the time" in a not so good neighborhood to assess a situation?Thisn person should not have been killed in my opinion. Now go back to my comments and pick up on them from where I left off, and my rant makes more sense. The issue again is the government has forced people to stop being people 1st,and to act as a shoot 1st ask 2nd mentality. Which is wrong, but will continue to be like this due to the administration in office and the past administration. They (meaning both parties) have driven a wedge in between people to make us this way and will continue to do so. To say this isn't political in my opinion is not correct,it is in my view due to where I grew up, how I grew up, and what I have seen personally. My police friends have also stated that their hands have been tied due to these political adjustments and that it makes them not even want to continue their career due to this. And when you get a person who is very young and has only grown up in this type of environment,they are going to act out the way they do, whether right or wrong as they are a product of their environment.

• Like 1

and feels that we are making a personal attack towards a profession his son is going into.

Hopefully he will discuss some of these things with his son, and just maybe some of it will stick with him and  he will not become a cardboard cut-out of some of the officers that I have had the misfortune to meet. I also think a lot of older people, especially, feel somewhat put out to be treated with less than a modicum of respect by these 20 something year old kids, wielding immense power that their short years on this earth has not equipped them for.

Oh good heavens, you've got me all wrong!  My son has only been a cop for less than a year, I don't think anybody is attacking my son or his profession!  :)  (and he's not a cop in my state)

I stated earlier, we all have our EXPERIENCES, and that is what colors our perceptions.  I gave several examples from my professional life where I have interacted with cops, and it has all been good.  I have seen cops save the life of a baby.  When I was threatened outside a courtroom (I used to testify a lot) I saw the cops go waaay out of their way to make sure I was safe, they were right on top of things.  In MY courtroom, in MY town, the cops are first rate.  That's my experience.

Remember, I live in a small town in a rural state.  The cops I have interacted with over the years are probably not representative of cops all over the nation, I know that.  I have even more stories of cops doing good, but that is my own experience.  Your experience is different, and that's OK.  If I had your experiences, I might feel the same.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Personally I think many inner city cops get jaded, for obvious reasons. More than likely we expect them to act like people in our immediate surroundings and sometimes that's just not going to happen.

Unfortunately sometimes it can't happen and is a matter of them living or not.

My son is a DC police officer, as well as an Army veteran with service in Afghanistan. We've discussed these issues.

My son would like to see body cameras on all police officers. He feels they protect everyone, as all parties, including the cops, know they're being recorded. The two problems are cost and some officers are afraid of the truth. They would have to do their jobs properly. Lengthy video from the inside of Krispy Kreme would look bad to superiors.

Indianapolis Metro PD is in the process of equipping all their street patrol officers with cameras. I think it's an excellent idea. It will promote the good officers, and probably help locate the bad ones. I'll bet some attitudes might change if they know they're being filmed.