AUDIO HANGOVER

eth2

Ever wake up in the morning and think about the purchases you made the previous day? I generally feel like I use to when I would wake up from a night of merriment and remember the types of things I had done. They always seemed so appropriate when I did them, but in the morning left me with a sinking feeling.

Audio buying leaves me feeling the same way. :huh:  :unsure:  :wacko:

• Like 3

Joe,

Why are you converting to FLAC from lossless WAV?

short and simple answer is it supports meta data, so when / if I decide to go to a new player I will never have to go to a folder with 5000 songs labled as UNKNOWN again......................it will make finding the music I have easier..........

J-River is allowing me to update and tag every lp I have while listening, surfing the web, typing this message. In fact it is converting 400 files as i type

• Like 2

Ever wake up in the morning and think about the purchases you made the previous day? I generally feel like I use to when I would wake up from a night of merriment and remember the types of things I had done. They always seemed so appropriate when I did them, but in the morning left me with a sinking feeling.

No time to think about it, always woke up in a strange town w/load covered, thinking of configuring the system between Pub's, fruit markets, fine food on the drive back.

By the time i get home i cannot wait to get the wires on them, case in point, Bells from Ashland Oregon, Scallas from Bandon,

Got home and fired up the Bells, four hours later they were on the CL@ a $100loss, Scallas worked out much better at the time.

• Like 1

I get that .... happens whenever I go with my 'wants' instead of my needs. Hard to distinguish in my case.

• Like 2

I get that .... happens whenever I go with my 'wants' instead of my needs. Hard to distinguish in my case.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I usually have that feeling before I purchase.  I am always pondering on will this make a noticeable impact on the system.  I have brought things just for looks, lol.  I run it by the wife after she has had a couple of cocktails.  She usually agrees if it going into the man cave.  Once I get the what not at home, time for the fun to begin!

• Like 1

The problem with buying equipment from others, is often you cannot preview it in your system. For me it is more of a "poke and hope" endeavor. Part of this is my limited knowledge of audio equipment. It is an expensive way to learn. Hence, my morning after angst.

I feel some guilt after going to Amazon Marketplace shopping for BDs (music)/multi-channel SACDs/DVD-As, etc. since I usually don't have a very good plan for acquiring music...other than "I need more...wow that looks good...let's buy that...".  I need a plan for buying discs.  deep-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not planning and prioritizing audio-related hardware purchases can get expensive and leave one with a garage full of unused gear, I'm afraid.  Prioritizing and watching for good buying opportunities usually gives me the feeling of justification in my forbearance in hardware acquisitions as a virtuous activity (...somehow, that doesn't quite look so virtuous when I see it in print...but you know what I mean... :huh:)

I've found that it's good to have a plan and reasons/criteria for the more expensive stuff.  I always look around for the weakest link in my setup (I've always concentrated on my main setup when buying) then drill down, considering less obvious other factors until I feel that I've found rational alternative courses of action to pursue--which actually makes me feel somehow justified.  However...I'm sure that my friends question my rationality... :blink:

I'm now reusing some of my earlier hardware in my main setup now that I've got more time to devote to measuring and tweaking everything.  The aural results have been much greater than my initial expectations (a change for the better).

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

why is this in the Garage section...

+1 for first world problem.

that being said, I get where you are coming from OP.

I get around that buyers remorse by doing a LOT of research prior to making an acquisition, and by NOT buying something merely because it's a good deal.

If I look at my equipment list... it is VERY SHORT and very concise, and this topic is very much related to my thread in 2+channel: "is it important to remember where you came from"

Edited by Schu