AUDIO HANGOVER

eth2

Ever wake up in the morning and think about the purchases you made the previous day? I generally feel like I use to when I would wake up from a night of merriment and remember the types of things I had done. They always seemed so appropriate when I did them, but in the morning left me with a sinking feeling.

Audio buying leaves me feeling the same way. :huh:  :unsure:  :wacko:

Honestly, no but I do not make impulse decisions.  (I remember asking a question in the garage sale section and getting 6 or 7 PM's from the seller pushing me to make an immidiate deal, I ran away from that one).  But I did not say that I do not make quick decisions.  If it is something that I need or want and it pops up, I am on it quickly with cash in hand. 

Funny that you post this this time of the year because between Thanksgiving and New Years I always buy a bunch of power tools because of the sales.  I was on the internet helping my wife look for stuff for her sewing hobby and I had the feeling to jump on Amazon rigth away.  Told her I had to look and there was a Dewalt laser lever with all discounts for $100, 85% sold out in 10 minutes.  I did the research in about 5 minutes and put it in the cart, spent 5 more minutes checking it out and then bought it.  It was 100% sold out a few minutes later.  Wanted to buy one last year for about $180.  Always got to be ready to jump. 

• Like 1

Ever wake up in the morning and think about the purchases you made the previous day? I generally feel like I use to when I would wake up from a night of merriment and remember the types of things I had done. They always seemed so appropriate when I did them, but in the morning left me with a sinking feeling.

I've got to ask, is this related to your Eliptrac 400 and your recent crossover network hunt?  With this one, the only cure I'm aware of is grabbing more of the "hair of the dog that bit you" and get those suckers on your Khorns! :emotion-14:

Edited by Fjd

I've got to ask, is this related to your Eliptrac 400 and your recent crossover network hunt?  With this one, the only cure I'm aware of is grabbing more of the "hair of the dog that bit you" and get those suckers on your Khorns! :emotion-14:

No. It is related to my first tube amp, and some speakers I bought early on.  As for the Eliptracs, I am going to put them in my K'horns along with the tweeters and some great drivers I got from Dave. I am looking for crossovers (Al's 5800's) as well. I have the AP12-350's already.

earl its easy to mitigate the money, be sure you only buy quality equipment, then audition it if its better keep it if it is not resell 

It is more difficult to sell in Upstate New York. This is BOSE country. A beautiful set of K'horns were listed for $2,100 for a long time. I do not think they sold.

Edited by eth2

No. It is related to my first tube amp, and some speakers I bought early on. 

So it would seem to be those 'long-term' regrets that you may be developing as you learn more and your goals change? 

In most instances I don't buy audio with the idea that I'm going to get much when selling.  Somewhat like lending to relatives, I give them the cash with no intention of ever collecting anything.  When they pay me back, it is a pleasant surprise.

When I really want, or need, to move something that has become a 'boat anchor' I price it to make it very attractive to a larger portion of the population that may be interested under the philosophy that 'my first loss will be my least loss.'  I hope to get some of those 'tied-up' dollars back in circulation for something else.

In fact I often wonder how much of the really 'collectible' audio gear today will become uninteresting to the next generation (e.g., Thaddeus's or Quiet Hollow's children's generation) as it seems to me that the vintage items that command most in today's markets also have a huge 'nostalgia' factor attached to it (I realize that is why I have made certain purchases) or some type of 'mythical' status amongst certain people.  Once that meaning is lost upon the next generation, values will most likely drop for many items.  I realize not all items as I try not to discuss absolutes.  

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

I think you are right. I need to start to unload some of my less favored equipment. Also, there is a real question of how many "systems" you need. I am thinking that two is optimal, and one may even be better.

I believe that the number of "audio systems" will be an individual decision based on that specific person's listening habits.

Some people I know have zero systems because audio does not have a significant 'space' in their lives and others that have some type of audio system in every room of the house, including the garage, pool, tool shed, etc.  Some of the "no audio" people are heavy into home theatre while still others are not.  I personally haven't done much with home theatre, which probably stems more from my vagabond living style of travel for work rather than not wanting to experiment.

In Schu's thread I tried to articulate how I have gained "perspective" in multiple ways in which each way would significantly help in my education and decision making process for two main listening systems.  Of course, a few in that thread seemed to miss the points I was trying to make.

I have focused on one system for "accuracy" (meaning an accurate reproduction/simulation to emulate a single listening position of a live performance of acoustic instruments in a given space) that will captivate the listener with many of the nuances in well-recorded music that often go unheard.  This system is primarily based on Jubilees and postings by Chris A (with a lot of follow up reading I have done as a result of his postings) have been a much appreciated, great help. 

For the second system, I have focused on the "velvety, seductive" midrange that will captivate many "general" audiences that I know with even poor recordings.  This system is primarily based on Khorns with certain modifications to the Khorns.  Of course, it is this system that with certain substitutions of equipment can be called the 'fifty shades of audio grey.'

I've got a few headphone items too that I play around with and enjoy, including a few purchases from Joe that cleared the way for his current system.

I also like to tinker with various components and try a lot of DIY that may never make the final line-up, but provides me with other types of insight and enjoyment.  With the amplifiers, I'm not sure if I have more "completed" and working DIY amps, or items in the stack of parts to recycle. :unsure:  Yes, I'm a novice, but learning something new everyday and enjoying the process. B)

Some of these items go into my main systems for trials or just swapped in and out of my tinkering system.  Otherwise, I have Cornwall II (1986 vintage) and Heresy speakers (both of which are subject to experimentation) for this swap exercise and have done some experimenting with big Altec cabinets, and various drivers and horns from both Altec and JBL. 

In a similar line of thought as Chris A stated below, I also have several items that I do not consider to be "boat anchors" and have stored them away that once I'm in a place for long-term and have more time to devote to measuring and tweaking everything, these items will be re-inserted and given more extensive listening evaluations.

Fun stuff. :emotion-29:

I feel some guilt after going to Amazon Marketplace shopping for BDs (music)/multi-channel SACDs/DVD-As, etc. since I usually don't have a very good plan for acquiring music...other than "I need more...wow that looks good...let's buy that...". I need a plan for buying discs. deep-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not planning and prioritizing audio-related hardware purchases can get expensive and leave one with a garage full of unused gear, I'm afraid. Prioritizing and watching for good buying opportunities usually gives me the feeling of justification in my forbearance in hardware acquisitions as a virtuous activity (...somehow, that doesn't quite look so virtuous when I see it in print...but you know what I mean... :huh:)

I've found that it's good to have a plan and reasons/criteria for the more expensive stuff. I always look around for the weakest link in my setup (I've always concentrated on my main setup when buying) then drill down, considering less obvious other factors until I feel that I've found rational alternative courses of action to pursue--which actually makes me feel somehow justified. However...I'm sure that my friends question my rationality... :blink:

I'm now reusing some of my earlier hardware in my main setup now that I've got more time to devote to measuring and tweaking everything. The aural results have been much greater than my initial expectations (a change for the better).

Edited by Fjd

I am no longer in the accumulation mode and no longer listen to music as much as I once did.  Matter of fact I need to lighten up on a few pieces and make some room on my shelves.  Right now I have been streaming Spotify on a laptop and an old Pioneer SX-950 and it sounds good.  Turned the tubed system on yesterday just to blow the cobwebs out.  Interest in equipment is waning and that's okay since my pockets are not as deep as they once were :mellow:

In fact I often wonder how much of the really 'collectible' audio gear today will become uninteresting to the next generation (e.g., Thaddeus's or Quiet Hollow's children's generation) as it seems to me that the vintage items that command most in today's markets also have a huge 'nostalgia[/size]' factor attached to it (I realize that is why I have made certain purchases) or some type of 'mythical' status amongst certain people.  Once that meaning is lost upon the next generation, values will most likely drop for many items.  I realize not all items as I try not to discuss absolutes.

A thing only has monetary value equal to what someone is willing to pay... period.

I run into this all the time specially on ebay, where a seller has an item that I am interested in, but it never sells... for weeks or even months. Yet they WILL NOT, budge on price or entertain a legitimate offer I make via back channels.

In fact I often wonder how much of the really 'collectible' audio gear today will become uninteresting to the next generation (e.g., Thaddeus's or Quiet Hollow's children's generation) as it seems to me that the vintage items that command most in today's markets also have a huge 'nostalgia[/size]' factor attached to it (I realize that is why I have made certain purchases) or some type of 'mythical' status amongst certain people.  Once that meaning is lost upon the next generation, values will most likely drop for many items.  I realize not all items as I try not to discuss absolutes.

A thing only has monetary value equal to what someone is willing to pay... period.

I run into this all the time specially on ebay, where a seller has an item that I am interested in, but it never sells... for weeks or even months. Yet they WILL NOT, budge on price or entertain a legitimate offer I make via back channels.

Speculation is an interesting phenomenon that most people should stay away from as there are people that thought "beanie babies" would make a good investment and are now bankrupt from investing entire savings into these toys.  :wacko2:

• Like 1

There is a guy who posted a pair of LaScala's on the Forum about a year ago and alienated a lot of people with his posts. He set the price for a pair of black LS's at $1250, said he would not negotiate, and refuses to allow an audition. He reposts them on several CL locations around me each week. Putting his attitude aside, for the $100 to $200 he may gain, he has them sitting, unused for all this time.

Go figure.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/4802641470.html

Edited by eth2

There is a guy who posted a pair of LaScala's on the Forum about a year ago and alienated a lot of people with his posts. He set the price for a pair of black LS's at $1250, said he would not negotiate, and refuses to allow an audition. He reposts them on several CL locations around me each week. Putting his attitude aside, for the $100 to $200 he may gain, he has them sitting, unused for all this time.

Go figure.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/4802641470.html

Who doesn't want to pay a non-refundable deposit to not be able to audition them? Maybe if the "ingenious lifting device" was included, unless that's his wife...

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's a funny ad.

<quote>I can't be waiting around for fools to come when they say they will then don't show. The balance will be cash only. No checks or funny NYC money stuff. I know how you guys are! Paypal is OK, but you must add 4% please.</quote>

Let's see how many times can he offend a potential buyer.  BTW...isn't Paypal 3%?  :huh:

No. It is related to my first tube amp, and some speakers I bought early on.  As for the Eliptracs, I am going to put them in my K'horns along with the tweeters and some great drivers I got from Dave. I am looking for crossovers (Al's 5800's) as well. I have the AP12-350's already.

High Earl, I've got them boxed up and ready to go on Monday.  I usually use UPS, so they should go out about 4p tomorrow.  Pictures don't do them justice, you will not believe how big and heavy these are.

Here is the spec sheet on the DH1A.

PM sent.

Edited by wvu80

Nope. Obviously you're doing it wrong.

• Moderators

Can't say that I've ever experienced that feeling myself.  Typically, I do have a hard time sleeping the night before going to pick up a great deal.  Usually toss and turn all night thinking about it.  I know that was the case when I bought the 11 piece RF-7ii System.  No regrets after picking them up though.