Any Klipsch community here with disabilities? Chime in!

Kent T

Gentlemen, 

I am a physically challenged Klipsch fanatic. I have cerebral palsy, spina bifida, clubfeet and limb length issues. Was born preemie and audiophile my whole life. Met PWK twice, an awesome teacher. I am a 40 year broadcast engineer, I take no BS, and love life, and my job, my wife (my work boss) and my kids. Chime in, your perspectives desired. Especially wheelchair users (Hint, I need Klipsch badges related to Heritage on my chair) Thanks! 

work related injury here......bad back and bad rt foot and leg. I know....WAAH! poor me! the biggest issue I have, concerning klipsch, is moving my heritage behemouths around my house.

in this politically correct day and age sounds to me like your biggest disability is taking no BS!!!

• Like 1

I was going to just keep this to myself but something happened today to change my mind. I have a 19 yr old autistic son who lives with his mother 5 hours away. I'm unbelieveably happily married for 9 years now to the last woman I'll ever love and yes i am positive on that. My ex called and told me her husband was leaving her, been gone since dec 15th. Well i try not to wish bad things on anyone even someone who made my life a living nightmare, but what really worries me is that my son Chad was very close to Dennis her husband and I'm terrified he will suffer because of this. Needless to say to those of you who are familiar with autism Chad can be very difficult to control when he gets upset about something and i can't stand to think of him feeling that way. Just needed to vent i guess. I know i haven't been a member here all that long but i feel like you guys are like an extended family of sorts and i needed to tell my story.

no need to hold things in like if you feel like talking , this fourm has a bunch of great people that are willing to listen and give advice . I wish you and your son the best to get through this 

Indeed, we wish Chad the finest, and peace and health to your family. If you need to vent, we understand here perfectly well. PMs have been sent, the chair is going Horn Loaded, Hope, Arkansas Style. High Efficiency, Live, Loud, and Proud. Or go home! This forum is truly awesome. It's people make it so! I'll need to get photo of surrogate legs up on forum when new decor arrives. 

• Like 1

You guys have great attitudes and I wish you all the best. Have you ever wondered how much your disabilities contribute to your love of music? I dont have the degree of difficulties listed in this thread, but I am extremely color blind. I often "blame"/wonder if my other senses are ramped up to compensate for the color blindness. At least thats what I tell my wife and I'm sticking to it! Sometimes the wife and friends will pity me when they see something and I cant. But I'm quick to tell them to stop it immediately. Its not like I'm in pain and the way I see it (or dont see it pun intended) is I dont miss something I've never had. 

Keep up the good attitude, after all, attitudes are highly contagious!

• Like 1

Indeed, we wish Chad the finest, and peace and health to your family. If you need to vent, we understand here perfectly well. PMs have been sent, the chair is going Horn Loaded, Hope, Arkansas Style. High Efficiency, Live, Loud, and Proud. Or go home! This forum is truly awesome. It's people make it so! I'll need to get photo of surrogate legs up on forum when new decor arrives. 

Badges mailed today. Thanks for your interest, Kent!

• Moderators
mungkiman, on 12 Jan 2015 - 7:07 PM, said:

Kent T, on 11 Jan 2015 - 5:14 PM, said:

Badges mailed today. Thanks for your interest, Kent!

Same here, it went out today, have fun.

I am one who has what most would call a disability. I was born with severe clubfoot, which was dealt with via several extensive reconstructive surgeries.

I do have a good degree of mobility, but have issues being on my feet for long periods of time. Working on my feet takes real effort and a substantial pain tolerance. I have had issues my whole life finding a good employment match for my physical condition - although I have always been gainfully employed, it's been doing work that requires time on my feet and it becomes a challenge to maintain without substantial pain.

As to the effect on my hobby, that is a challenge too, as I enjoy live music, particularly in festival settings. This is difficult because being on my feet at larger fests (where the best bands tend to be) makes for a sore fellow after a long weekend, but I make it work and consider the pain well worth putting up with, because the music is worth it. I spend a lot of time researching "logistics" at these events, securing camping spots and special arrangements that minimize the walking and time on my feet.

Where there's a will, there's a way, which is the best attitude to have for anyone with disability. :)

• Like 1

To all those who posted their conditions and cares: there is no doubt that you have endured (and continue to) various kinds of pain (not "just" physical) that most people have not.  I have not.

And yet, what I hear and absorb is your character.  And that is very admirable and exemplary.  A patience, tenderness, strength, and appreciation for what you have in life, rather than emphasis on what you do not have.

Would that more of us lead by example (myself included when I indulge in what is not) . . . .

• Like 2

nd yet, what I hear and absorb is your character.  And that is very admirable and exemplary.  A patience, tenderness, strength, and appreciation for what you have in life, rather than emphasis on what you do not have.
Sometimes I whine.  I also have four herniated disks (two in my neck that are absolutely horrible) pain every day -- some days i don’t notice it as much. But, i hear what you’re saying -- i’ve seen some with tremendous physical burdens and they have an incredibly positive attitude and drive to do all they can.  it’s pretty humbling. 
  • Like 1

nd yet, what I hear and absorb is your character.  And that is very admirable and exemplary.  A patience, tenderness, strength, and appreciation for what you have in life, rather than emphasis on what you do not have.
Sometimes I whine.  I also have four herniated disks (two in my neck that are absolutely horrible) pain every day -- some days i don’t notice it as much. But, i hear what you’re saying -- i’ve seen some with tremendous physical burdens and they have an incredibly positive attitude and drive to do all they can.  it’s pretty humbling. 

Pain . . . unpleasant, and sometimes much worse.  Sad to say about our specie, though, that it is not good times and good feelings that bring about our growth.  Have you noticed how with good times and material plenty that we simply are quite disposed to remain where we are, as we are?  We become protective of the way things are, and actually oppose change?

That we seem most open to examining our selves and our lives when we are, instead, in pain of some sort . . . .

• Like 2

Heard a guy years ago at church say that he “living a life of gratitude.”  That really hit me and it’s what i’ve been doing ever since (not 100% successful like i mentioned, sometimes i fail; but, always trying).

God notices when you do, and encourages your understanding when you do not.

I am a "mature" senior citizen (coming up on age 69).  I have apologized to God that I used to think that I had the right to decide, and thought I was smart when I was cavalier about the "quality" of my life (as I understood it to be), and hoped that I would be taken when my life had little value as I defined it.  How presumptuous--and foolish--I was.  And how much I appreciate the wonderful gift of my life now, and shake my head at my previous impertinence.

• Like 1

Heard a guy years ago at church say that he “living a life of gratitude.”  That really hit me and it’s what i’ve been doing ever since (not 100% successful like i mentioned, sometimes i fail; but, always trying).

God notices when you do, and encourages your understanding when you do not.

I am a "mature" senior citizen (coming up on age 69).  I have apologized to God that I used to think that I had the right to decide, and thought I was smart when I was cavalier about the "quality" of my life (as I understood it to be), and hoped that I would be taken when my life had little value as I defined it.  How presumptuous--and foolish--I was.  And how much I appreciate the wonderful gift of my life now, and shake my head at my previous impertinence.

Many, many a night that I went to bed and prayed that I wouldn’t wake up--i was just tired of it all. I know that’s selfish--probably why my prayers didn’t get past the ceiling. Guess God has something planned for me still and that’s why He’s keeping me around. 

As far as me being a good guy to know … thanks, it’s nice to be liked some time other than when the check needs to be paid.  :D

Edited by BigStewMan

God has something planned for me still and that’s why He’s keeping me around

Or perhaps he just doesn't care.  It's worked for me so far.  But I know how you feel because I always thought that  too.  But I also think whatever it was is already done.

Edited by oldtimer

Or perhaps he just doesn't care.  It's worked for me so far.  But I know how you feel because I always thought that  too.  But I also think whatever it was is already done.

spared me from too much for Him not to care.  

Edited by BigStewMan

It's difficult to define exactly what a disability is.  My wife is a teacher of pre-school disabled kids (whether physical, mental, develpmental, etc.).  I never cease to be amazed at the growth of some.  For example, some years ago she had a boy in the class who was born with no arms.  Yet, he did not consider himself disabled at all since he could use his legs and feet with more dexterity than the kids whose limbs were normal.  The boy is now an accomplished saxophonist!!!  Another, who was born totally blind, was placed at a piano when he was 4 years old, and after a few minutes of running his fingers across the keys, began playing songs which were being sung in the class!  At this point, we have heard that he is a truly accomplished pianist.  I might add that when he started the class at age 3, he spoke no English.  Now, he's multilingual with phenomenal fluency.  They do not consider themselves disabled at all.

Maynard 

• Like 1

Damaged bodies, damaged minds, hearts, and lives hurt a lot.  And then, the regret and guilt we heap upon ourselves when we contemplate the hurt parts.

It is easy to feel ignored, or uncared-for, or worse, actually punished by God's --pick your term: wrath, indifference, justice, distance.

But I know that the absolute perfect Father is not wrathful, indifferent, unjust, or distant.  He knew us--and loved us--before He even created us.  When we chose independence (making the decision to go against His one prohibition), we chose separation from God.  Despite our defining choice, He has been willing to offer each of us perfect restoration and reunion--paid for entirely by Him.

Again, our choice.  What God wants is for each of us to delight in the perfect unity which His spirit offers.  To choose rightly.  The path to that knowledge, that decision, and that trusting surrender is very different in timing, and length, and "degree of difficulty" for each of us.  And when we choose rightly and know and love God, and make choices in our lives that demonstrate and honor God, there is great rejoicing in Heaven!

To the OPs and all those who may read this thread, thank you so much for your honesty and risk-taking in talking openly about very difficult and personally painful things.  Because that which is true is a floor from which unknown height and breadth of growth occurs.  And I so much prefer floors to ceilings!

• Like 2