On display: Heritage-Inspired Wireless Speakers

Chad

Chad,

I really really think we should all get a set to test them out and tell our local audio stores to ask for them. Hell, I would even take my set to the store to let them test them out for an hour or so.

• Like 1

So less speaker wires but more power and extension cords. Am I the only one not digging these? I want to be convinced and I want to love them - I REALLY DO. And the price seems 'Klipsch' quality, but I haven't seen specs and I don't know anything about the amp powering them AND now I have to place them by outlets?

My house has lots of outlets, but not one built-in speaker jack...I bet most newer houses are like mine. Edited by FuzzyDog
  • Like 1

Understood. These are meant to be 2-channel, so the limitations are minimal in that regard IMO

Seems like most of the benefit of wireless would be achieved in a surround sound system where someone doesn't want to run speaker wire through their walls or around their room...I don't really see a point for a wireless 2 channel system where usually the speakers are placed against one continuous wall in relative close proximity to the receiver/amp.

• Like 1

Understood. These are meant to be 2-channel, so the limitations are minimal in that regard IMO

So, this brings up my limited market observation--I may be totally wrong on this and they do look like cool speakers but my lifestyle and budget doesn't see a need for these. My guess is some folks saying that they would take them if Klipsch gives it to them is legit but at $2k a pair?. Then again, most of us with outboard power supplies, monitors, and passive speakers have enough things we could still spend our money on. {Note: Rich former hippies and current hipsters with disposable income aside.}

Edited by tkdamerica

Guest Steven1963

So less speaker wires but more power and extension cords. Am I the only one not digging these? I want to be convinced and I want to love them - I REALLY DO. And the price seems 'Klipsch' quality, but I haven't seen specs and I don't know anything about the amp powering them AND now I have to place them by outlets?

My house has lots of outlets, but not one built-in speaker jack...I bet most newer houses are like mine.

ALL of the older homes are not.

My house has lots of outlets, but not one built-in speaker jack...I bet most newer houses are like mine.

ALL of the older homes are not.

Very true.

Guest Steven1963

Loved what I was seeing till I found out they are wireless.  Cheap internal amp, no flexibility.  Marketing mistake.

Yay!  I have someone in my corner. 

• Like 1

Loved what I was seeing till I found out they are wireless.  Cheap internal amp, no flexibility.  Marketing mistake.

Yay!  I have someone in my corner. 

I agree as well. I can see how Klipsch is trying to put all their new tech into the concept model to show it off but in reality the speakers are confused. Heritage guys that will be interested in this probably also spend hours picking out amps and wires etc to put their system together and here you are locked into a wireless model. The people who would be into wireless speakers probably wont appreciate the PWK inspired components and look anyway. Its kind of like BMW coming out with a throwback E30 M3 concept car but then saying its a hybrid with continuous variable transmission. (Although BMW probably WOULD do that nowadays...) 

As for the wireless tech, what is the potential for interference etc? 

Edited by twk123
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I'd like to see 2 versions:

1 Self Powered with provision for bypass for WHEN the amp goes out...

1 Passive...

Not sure any manufacturer would engineer a bypass when the company could make aftermarket money on replacement amps.

I love the idea of wireless and I do think it is the future but I'm not keen on that internal amp. I could deal with finding an outlet for it if I had to but that kind of negates the purpose of going 'wireless' because you still have to run a wire to it. I realize also that it is not feasible today to power a speaker remotely. So maybe the timing isn't right for this product yet?

I think the point behind these is to plug them in, take out your iPhone and play without all the amps, etc. They are basically high end bluetooth speakers with heritage style. They are not really marketing them to us heritage guys.

Still wish they would come out with an updated extended heritage product though. Something similar to what a lot of y'all are building, cornscala, etc.

• Like 1

I'd like to see 2 versions:

1 Self Powered with provision for bypass for WHEN the amp goes out...

1 Passive...

Not sure any manufacturer would engineer a bypass when the company could make aftermarket money on replacement amps.

they want more people to buy them?

Edited by Sancho Panza

I think the point behind these is to plug them in, take out your iPhone and play without all the amps, etc. They are basically high end bluetooth speakers with heritage style. They are not really marketing them to us heritage guys.

Still wish they would come out with an updated extended heritage product though. Something similar to what a lot of y'all are building, cornscala, etc.

THIS is the situation and an updated Heritage product when they reserve that name for products that Paul Klipsch designed makes me think that both are an extremely niche market---the former for reasons I've already stated (although admit there may be a market) and the latter that only would be of interest to people who already have Heritage speakers but can achieve their goals more cost effectively in the used market, because Mr Klipsch isn't designing any more speakers (and the footprint of the existing models don't jive with what's available for post-1990 consumers).

Edited by tkdamerica

Guest Steven1963

Now if that is what they are intended for then yeah I can see possibilities.  I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around how us old school music lovers plug in turntables and other devices into them.  And if what you describe is correct and the idea is to eliminate all of that and just have two speakers and an tablet/phone to play everything, well okay.

Definitely not marketed to the hardcore music lovers I suppose?  At least until the hardcore music lovers deal with modern technology? 

I can see DeanG, Bob Crites and the like designing some killer crossovers and a high end amp to replace the stock stuff.  Now, THAT I can get into.

Alex, Chad any information on who the amp manufacturer will be?

Edited by Steven1963

YEAH.........and I hadn't thought of that initially.  The concept is actually pretty cool that you could do that and have some higher end "bluetooth type" speakers.  All you do is plug them in anywhere and argue whose playlist gets used.  The concept is appealing to me.  I just wish I could decide what goes inside the speakers. :)

Like I said I love the way they look.

Actually this just turned a lightbulb on for me............You know one could come up with a kit to convert existing speakers to do this pretty easily. :mellow:

You guys want specs? I've got specs. :)

The goal was indeed a product that bridges retro with modern. I can't tell you everything about them since what you see here are prototypes, but at a minimum for the towers: 27Hz - 22kHz +/- 2dB while the monitor is 40Hz-22kHz +/-2dB. Tweeters are 1" LTS titanium, midranges are 3" aluminum slot-loaded drivers, and the woofers are 5.25" of a design to let such a small driver dig into the 20s with authority. ;)

Rest assured, we do not believe in cheap amplification. Horn loaded speakers don't take kindly to low quality amps. ;)

As far as the wireless bit goes, until a handheld battery comes out that can provide the 1800W that a standard 120V plug can, wireless speakers are going to have power cords. You do want power, right? :)

Something people need to understand about the transmission is that WiSA products are not wireless like your cell phone's Bluetooth ear piece. They work in a completely different bandwidth. There is near zero insertion loss (your input signal goes from the source, to the driver with nothing added). The DACs used for such products must be quite good in order to resolve the amount of detail that's in the source signal. As an added bonus, you get 24b/96kHz compatibility.

Think about this: we wouldn't use products or formats that don't let our acoustics shine to their highest potential. Rest assured that these retro/modern concepts follow that ideal. :)

-Dave W

• Like 6