Where do we want to take the Forum?

eth2

i’ve noticed over the years that this place has peaks and valleys … there are times, it is quite boring. Then it seems to pick up.

i’m probably one of the guilty ones weighing on your patience … as i just don’t enjoy being too serious for too long. I grew up in the principal’s office, was once banned at work from talking to people outside of the organization without my wording being approved by a manager--not for rudeness or profanity or anything out of taste (okay, i asked a rep from one of the local cities to please get me the info as soon as he could because that would get my boss off my back and my boss found out what i said) … I’ve been lectured on this forum for making a joke when the poster was asking a technical question -- I mean no harm to anyone and never intentionally try to upset anyone; i would just rather go through life laughing as much as possible because the crap that i’ve had to deal with would crush me if i don’t.  I personally have no expectations from the forum -- just a place to “talk” if we want; or see what other people have to say … about whatever. I just don’t like mean and have seen that a couple of times here; but far more times have made some friends. 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 3

I have been guilty of the above,and that's why I work for myself. I am not PC at all, and love to joke around and have a very sarcastic sense of humor. Maybe that's why I don't have any real friends that are males.

People who meet me think I am very arrogant and obnoxious until they get to know me and are in need of help/guidance. My wife constantly jokes about how if I didn't have her I'd have no friends, but I showed her my friends list here, told her I had 3 with one being 96. She said that's all that can handle you are older gentlemen. We laughed for a moment before I put her back in the crate and turned the lights off. I am of the same mold as Bigstewman, laugh as much as you can due to the miseries of everyday life,and having gone through some pretty crappy things myself figured laughter is the better medicine.

The one thing I have noticed on here though is that some people are a little more quicker on the trigger to tell someone to do as they do because they are correct and it doesn't seem to answer the OP's questioning. But that's everywhere on any forum.

I do like however even when those responses come up, that there is always something to learn on here. I have learned an extreme amount of information in 2 months on here than the prior 15-20 years of audio, and I thank the forum for that.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 3

Wow Jim!  It's difficult to just change one thing at a time, isn't it?

Well, back on topic...

Let's take everybody to Disney World.  

Yes it is,I have an extremely bad habit of doing that. I did it when I started fishing,and within a year had over 35 rods. At one time I had more equipment than 5 of the guys I fished with combined who have been fishing over 30 years a piece.

If needed, I can provide some really interesting ignorant questions up here for people to beat up on me. I have no problem doing that for the sake of the forum.

Seems like guys named Jim are good at that.....

Aren't they? At least the ones I know are.

It seems that we are getting a bit stale. I have been a member for only a year, but it seems to me that we have gone from interesting threads about music, amps, preamps, tubes, concerts, members histories...to silly arguments about who said what to whom, whose opinions are sacrosanct, silly retorts to serious questions...I miss discussions about music, hearing about grandchildren, ill people getting better, learning about equipment...

I agree that the forum has undergone a change in makeup/contribution within the last year.  I suppose that Klipsch corporation is okay with the way the forum has changed since there doesn't seem to be much comment or policy with regard to this (unlike many other audio forums).  I too find that most contributors here now don't really use the forum for discussions on audio.  I don't presently see any swinging back towards technical discussions that you describe anytime soon.  I personally don't use this forum as a personal Facebook page, which is something that I don't have and never intend to acquire.  My personal conversations--including off topic smalltalk--aren't found online.  

The problem that you state Earl is that this Facebook-like behavior on the Klipsch technical sub-forums tends to run off good technical contributors, and doesn't attract new technical contributors with knowledgeable audio backgrounds.  It would be nice if the contributors here that are not asking real technical questions or trying to answer the questions would find other threads to fill with irrelevant comment.  I don't have a solution that keeps the technical contributors here: they vote by leaving (and have).  One of the best Klipsch engineers (Roy D.) tried to contribute here again this summer but has since left the forum again due to stray comments and poor social skills by others on the forum.  It's a great loss IMO--for that's where I really learn more about audio. 

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Playing the high rez, what is the rest of the system, IE....dac / amp  /pre / speakers etc... Just curious. also how do you like the sound

It took awhile but I think I finally have my digital playback sound dialed in, It is now very analog / vinyl sounding, which is where I want to be, I find hyper detail fatiguing, I abhor Bright harsh SQ I want what I had growing up which was 100% analog be it tape or vinyl.  I still have enough resolution to be pleasing when it comes to detail, and inner detail, Extension is nice top and Bottom. Your DAC will make or break your enjoyment of digital IMHO

I have the Musicstreamer ll I bought on here, hooked into a Dell laptop,then out to my tube amp which is push/pull 10 watt per channel powering the KF-28's for now until I can find a set of 3 ways I like.I've been bouncing back and forth between them and the KB-15's.

My RF set up is in another room and can't be set up here due to the fireplace and the center channel speakers I have for HT. I am also looking to upgrade the amp for my louder listening pleasure. It sounds extremely nice with near field listening with my seating about 6-7 feet away and speakers 6-7 feet apart toed in. I have everything set to analog output I think on the player,so it's nice. So much better than when I was listening to SS only. 

With having windows, if I were to upgrade the DAC from Musicstreamer,I wouldn't be able to get the highest resolution as they d=can't handle it yet. So I'd have to go with another DAC company. I'm listening at 44k and 96k depending on cd quality.

My only issue now is having the patience to pick one thing at a time and work on it with upgrades, I just purchased a used low end turntable and want to upgrade the cartridge and mat as well as looking for different speakers and a different tube amp and doing the computer music server.

It can get overwhelming, it is best to center efforts 1 at a time as it allows you to see what improves or declines and why, so it gets easier to set up a system, the music streamers are supposed to be nice (never heard 1 myself, but good reviews)  sounds like a nice setup

My frustration is that those with the greatest technical knowledge tend to prefer to engage in pseudo-philosophical or ad hominem attacks. They have soooo much more to offer that diverting their talents into word game and sophistic diatribe. I am not complaining about witty comments (where would we be without Thebes?), good natured jabs, or nontechnical discussions. However, when it turns nasty and personal, and drags on and on, it changes the nature of the forum. I have fallen into this trap on occasion, but afterword's I feel like a dolt and try not to repeat the behavior. Others seem to relish behaving this way, including some members who I highly respect.

OK, I am done.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 2

It seems that we are getting a bit stale. I have been a member for only a year, but it seems to me that we have gone from interesting threads about music, amps, preamps, tubes, concerts, members histories...to silly arguments about who said what to whom, whose opinions are sacrosanct, silly retorts to serious questions...I miss discussions about music, hearing about grandchildren, ill people getting better, learning about equipment...

I agree that the forum has undergone a change in makeup/contribution within the last year.  I suppose that Klipsch corporation is okay with the way the forum has changed since there doesn't seem to be much comment or policy with regard to this (unlike many other audio forums).  I too find that most contributors here now don't really use the forum for discussions on audio.  I don't presently see any swinging back towards technical discussions that you describe anytime soon.  I personally don't use this forum as a personal Facebook page, which is something that I don't have and never intend to acquire.  My personal conversations--including off topic smalltalk--aren't found online.  

The problem that you state Earl is that this Facebook-like behavior on the Klipsch technical sub-forums tends to run off good technical contributors, and doesn't attract new technical contributors with knowledgeable audio backgrounds.  It would be nice if the contributors here that are not asking real technical questions or trying to answer the questions would find other threads to fill with irrelevant comment.  I don't have a solution that keeps the technical contributors here: they vote by leaving (and have).  One of the best Klipsch engineers (Roy D.) tried to contribute here again this summer but has since left the forum again due to stray comments and poor social skills by others on the forum.  It's a great loss IMO--for that's where I really learn more about audio. 

Chris

I feel like there is more to audio than TECHNICAL, and I know for a fact that as long as I have been a member here this forum has been a place for sharing more than just audio, It has always felt like a gathering of like minded people that share experiences / stories both audio and not.

Some of the tech goes way above my head, if I read a thread and I cant make heads or tails of it I make no comment and move along. Some of the tech is interesting and I have learned a great deal over the years, I try to share my experiences and answer questions I have experience with but I dont consider myself technical. I enjoy MUSIC and that is what brought me to this forum. If this were a purely technical forum I would have left it behind years ago like so many others I no longer visit

Just My 02

• Like 2

I am not complaining about witty comments (where would we be without Thebes?), good natured jabs, or nontechnical discussions. However, when it turns nasty and personal, and drags on and on, it changes the nature of the forum

Joe,

As I said...