Where do we want to take the Forum?

eth2

i’ve noticed over the years that this place has peaks and valleys … there are times, it is quite boring. Then it seems to pick up.

i’m probably one of the guilty ones weighing on your patience … as i just don’t enjoy being too serious for too long. I grew up in the principal’s office, was once banned at work from talking to people outside of the organization without my wording being approved by a manager--not for rudeness or profanity or anything out of taste (okay, i asked a rep from one of the local cities to please get me the info as soon as he could because that would get my boss off my back and my boss found out what i said) … I’ve been lectured on this forum for making a joke when the poster was asking a technical question -- I mean no harm to anyone and never intentionally try to upset anyone; i would just rather go through life laughing as much as possible because the crap that i’ve had to deal with would crush me if i don’t.  I personally have no expectations from the forum -- just a place to “talk” if we want; or see what other people have to say … about whatever. I just don’t like mean and have seen that a couple of times here; but far more times have made some friends. 

This reminds me of my last job, as safety committee chairman i took the role seriously, my superiors took is as an evil they were instructed to do by there superiors. I would give my direct superiors a chance to remedy an issue when they failed I had no problem going to there bosses. needless to say this did not set well with them.

One instance I recall is we had 3 feet of snow the governor declared a state of emergency, federal govt was closed yet we were supposed to drive in 90 miles to work (my commute was 90 miles 1 way) I was charged with missing time. Tried to discuss this with the bosses and they had no response other than you are required to be here (safety first right  :emotion-45: ) as luck would have it a corp. memo was emailed out and because I was on the committee I received a copy, it basically stated if MANAGERS could not make it in due to weather they could use a personal day, Me with my big mouth / Fingers typed up a response noting our situation and posed the ? why were craft people expected to risk life and limb while Managers were allowed to stay home.........................I was called to the office the next day and informed I was losing my email privileges because the response went to something like 17000 people......................They did not like being called out as hypocrites. I loved pointing it out to them

Another reason I have worked for myself the last 20 years. I've always had an opinionated response to lack of common sense memos or rules... I was fired once from Nabisco as I was out due to medical reasons, a worker ran me over with a high low and I pulled back muscles and had my foot operated on, but they wanted to get rid of me anyway they could. I got called into a meeting and had my bosses there as well as my union reps. When I asked how it was possible to get fired while being out on injury and having a doctors note, they gave no response except to make sure I knew I was fired. 

So my recourse on the way out was to proceed to urinate on the table I was at at this meeting with everyone at the table. I told them here's my response to your bullsh%t. THAT was the most satisfying answer I could have ever given to someone on the corporate side of things.

• Like 3

i’ve noticed over the years that this place has peaks and valleys … there are times, it is quite boring. Then it seems to pick up.

i’m probably one of the guilty ones weighing on your patience … as i just don’t enjoy being too serious for too long. I grew up in the principal’s office, was once banned at work from talking to people outside of the organization without my wording being approved by a manager--not for rudeness or profanity or anything out of taste (okay, i asked a rep from one of the local cities to please get me the info as soon as he could because that would get my boss off my back and my boss found out what i said) … I’ve been lectured on this forum for making a joke when the poster was asking a technical question -- I mean no harm to anyone and never intentionally try to upset anyone; i would just rather go through life laughing as much as possible because the crap that i’ve had to deal with would crush me if i don’t.  I personally have no expectations from the forum -- just a place to “talk” if we want; or see what other people have to say … about whatever. I just don’t like mean and have seen that a couple of times here; but far more times have made some friends. 

Clearly we need more velcro...

(says the pot to the kettle)

:ph34r:

Tis the season. The last couple of months of winter are always a mental struggle for the spoiled southerners.  I know many here don't think we need more section topics, but I really think this would spark more participation.  I still cant believe there is not a dedicated amp section or Tube section here. Lots of decent threads get swept under the mat from these vast sections being covered up with drivel at times.

• Like 1

When you place limits on thinking, you limit interest and you lose participation.

You're right, I think about boobies yet most pictures are frowned upon.

I don't necessarily believe that thinking is frowned upon, it's specific topics (politics, guns etc) that are limited.  Heck, people get fired up over dogs and cats.  These particular topics are sure to raise temperatures among forum members and it quickly becomes personal.  Personal attacks are what should be limited and certain topics are not discussed in an effort to minimize such attacks.  Avoid the topic, avoid the potential attack.

• Like 4

It is not just highly emotional topics (e.g., politics, guns, religion). I have seen personal attacks over cables, power cleaners, and other topics which are not inflammatory in most rational discussions. Further, it is not just an isolated outburst, but rather page after page of continuing childish behavior.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 2

I am in the peaks & valleys group, holidays & winter drives down participation. However I have to state that the loss of Boxx showed the true value of this forum. A genuine expression of grief for a man most of us did not know & an outpouring of generosity in his memory. I also would say the support shown to Joe during his recent troubles was inspiring as well. THOSE are the reasons I hang around here, a community of knuckleheads worth spending time with, learning from and occasionally trading barbs with. As to money to be spent on new equipment, you guys have spent all of mine already. :rolleyes: 

• Like 8

My frustration is that those with the greatest technical knowledge tend to prefer to engage in pseudo-philosophical or ad hominem attacks. They have soooo much more to offer that diverting their talents into word game and sophistic diatribe. I am not complaining about witty comments (where would we be without Thebes?), good natured jabs, or nontechnical discussions. However, when it turns nasty and personal, and drags on and on, it changes the nature of the forum. I have fallen into this trap on occasion, but afterword's I feel like a dolt and try not to repeat the behavior. Others seem to relish behaving this way, including some members who I highly respect.

I see the same thing that you describe, unfortunately.  The more technical the audience, the more the discussion tends to turn to zero-sum-game debate rather than dialogue.  I try to let the information that I present speak for itself while also offering to puncture technical memes that persist (e.g., https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/117181-the-pwk-no-bs-tribute-thread/).

I actually study the use of memes/memeplexes used in engineering environments, i.e., as my vocation.  I've found that the reason why we have so many poor project outcomes is due to egos involved and almost never due to technical failures.  This is basic human behavior, IMHO. 

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

This reminds me of my last job, as safety committee chairman i took the role seriously, my superiors took is as an evil they were instructed to do by there superiors. I would give my direct superiors a chance to remedy an issue when they failed I had no problem going to there bosses. needless to say this did not set well with them.

One instance I recall is we had 3 feet of snow the governor declared a state of emergency, federal govt was closed yet we were supposed to drive in 90 miles to work (my commute was 90 miles 1 way) I was charged with missing time. Tried to discuss this with the bosses and they had no response other than you are required to be here (safety first right  :emotion-45: ) as luck would have it a corp. memo was emailed out and because I was on the committee I received a copy, it basically stated if MANAGERS could not make it in due to weather they could use a personal day, Me with my big mouth / Fingers typed up a response noting our situation and posed the ? why were craft people expected to risk life and limb while Managers were allowed to stay home.........................I was called to the office the next day and informed I was losing my email privileges because the response went to something like 17000 people......................They did not like being called out as hypocrites. I loved pointing it out to them

Another reason I have worked for myself the last 20 years. I've always had an opinionated response to lack of common sense memos or rules... I was fired once from Nabisco as I was out due to medical reasons, a worker ran me over with a high low and I pulled back muscles and had my foot operated on, but they wanted to get rid of me anyway they could. I got called into a meeting and had my bosses there as well as my union reps. When I asked how it was possible to get fired while being out on injury and having a doctors note, they gave no response except to make sure I knew I was fired. 

So my recourse on the way out was to proceed to urinate on the table I was at at this meeting with everyone at the table. I told them here's my response to your bullsh%t. THAT was the most satisfying answer I could have ever given to someone on the corporate side of things.

You have been promoted to my hero list, Urinated on the table..................I would love to have seen the looks on the faces at that table :D

When you place limits on thinking, you limit interest and you lose participation.

You're right, I think about boobies yet most pictures are frowned upon.

I don't necessarily believe that thinking is frowned upon, it's specific topics (politics, guns etc) that are limited.  Heck, people get fired up over dogs and cats.  These particular topics are sure to raise temperatures among forum members and it quickly becomes personal.  Personal attacks are what should be limited and certain topics are not discussed in an effort to minimize such attacks.  Avoid the topic, avoid the potential attack.

When any society shelters or limits exposure to contrary opinions it is diminished and can be directed by how those limits are utilized.  I do realize the audio foundations of these forums and this website.  But the hobby attracts a wide breadth of enthusiasts and thus offers a wide breadth of opinions.  There are riches here being held in sway.  If controversies were not emotional they'd not be controversial.  Debates always have 2 sides......... and always will.  Keeping debates civil should be the moderators chore.  Removing access to debate removes vitality.  The pulse of this place is weaker as we all watch the real world turn outside of its insulated discourse.  There is a lot we should be discussing and we have a lot of people here with valid perspectives.  As I said to Chad long ago......... treating this place like a 5th grade schoolyard will keep the forums elementary.  

You have been promoted to my hero list, Urinated on the table..................I would love to have seen the looks on the faces at that table

Lol,

Having grown up where I did and the things I went through has helped shape my "character" some.

I am one who is far from being conforming and would rather go through life "not having friends" than having a bunch of people who will turn their backs on me at the drop of a dime. I've had friends who went homeless I've known for over 35 years, and were god parents to some of my children turn their backs on me after I gave them jibs and a place to stay. Such has become what life is nowadays, it's actually very sad. So my "actions" to situations are due to knowing the outcome will not be in my favor. If I know I'm getting screwed no matter what, I let the white trash side happily come out to play.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 2

I am in the peaks & valleys group, holidays & winter drives down participation. However I have to state that the loss of Boxx showed the true value of this forum. A genuine expression of grief for a man most of us did not know & an outpouring of generosity in his memory. I also would say the support shown to Joe during his recent troubles was inspiring as well. THOSE are the reasons I hang around here, a community of knuckleheads worth spending time with, learning from and occasionally trading barbs with. As to money to be spent on new equipment, you guys have spent all of mine already. :rolleyes: 

You sir, win the internet today!! Very well said.

I have only been here for a few months but I have loved the forum so far. I honestly thought I was hot **** about home theater setup etc and was very humbled by the expertise of the people here and how willing they are to help. I now have a much better setup and more importantly I appreciate the music coming from my system from all the knowledge I have gleaned. I think one of the issues is that this is a limited scope forum and you can only have so many discussions on your own system setup etc. 

As far as people being snarky, personal attacks etc, that is going to happen in any forum or online venue where you dont run the risk of getting the crap beaten out of you for saying something. All in all its much better here than some of the other forums I have been on which always devolve into a flame war over the same Reddit reposts etc.

I think it would be cool to do some more creative threads like, "Post your favorite songs about..." or post your favoite BS audiophoolery product etc.

• Moderators
CECAA850, on 23 Jan 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

oscarsear, on 23 Jan 2015 - 11:56 AM, said: Keeping debates civil should be the moderators chore.

It doesn't pay NEAR enough. ;)

You never got the last pay raise, the big one ?  :o

• Like 1