Nuther police shooting

oscarsear

Investigators are reviewing a video of the shooting (warning, the video contains graphic images) made by a witness that shows officers firing as many as 13 shots at the man as he ran and backed away from them. He collapses to the sidewalk after a second volley of rounds.

END QUOTE

The key rule here is to always make 100% certain the guy you shoot is dead. A guy only wounded could sue for perhaps millions. 13 bullets cost what....$20 bucks?

It's funny, and never explained, why these unarmed guys aren't just shot in the leg. It's always a hail of bullets fired by multiple guys emptying their guns.

When they said there was going to be a global war on terror, they weren't kidding around folks.

I totally agree.  If we had more "leg shootings" people in the right frame of mind might just settle the heck down.  You gotta figure 1 in 4 people are somewhat not completely stable, they take one to the thigh then then next not so stable man or woman is going to know its not going to take much flak for an officer to insert one in them.  As for the rest of the whacko's, either get help or get off the street because the men in blue aren't going to put up with much crap and dare I say I don't blame them one dang bit.

It's funny, and never explained, why these unarmed guys aren't just shot in the l

Years ago in response to such woundings and also from those so wounded fighting back with deadly force, regulations were put in place that you MUST shoot to kill if you aim and fire your weapon. Of course, back then the gun was a last resort.  Today it seems to be the first response.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 2

Guest Steven1963

We are allowing our first responders to become judge, jury, and executioner all within a 2 minute time frame.  Running from a cop who is commanding you to stop is unlawful. Backing away from a cop and not heeding his commands is unlawful.  Neither of which, in my opinion, deserves a summary execution.

• Like 5

This is horrible and something on a national level needs to be done.  Any of us could have someone we know distraught and not follow police order appropiately and be killed.  Multiple officers confronting an unarmed man can't say they felt their life was in jeopardy.

We are allowing our first responders to become judge, jury, and executioner all within a 2 minute time frame.  Running from a cop who is commanding you to stop is unlawful. Backing away from a cop and not heeding his commands is unlawful.  Neither of which, in my opinion, deserves a summary execution.

It seems that the cases I have seen where commands were being ignored was either a mentally disturbed person in anguish, or there were conflicting orders, then the cops turn around and ask "but WHY won't they just LISTEN?"  

I've mentioned this before, this hits home a little for me, a friend of mine who developed mental illness then lost his insurance and therefore medication was killed by the cops.  It's a shame.  

First of all, there HAS to be the "other side of the story."

I reviewed the video carefully.  Just before the guy was dropped for good, he turned towards the cops, and put his hands together like he was shooting a gun.

That being said, the video does not look good for the cops.

• Moderators

This is what I mainly do now, represent peace officers involved in critical incidents (police shootings), from responding to the scene of the shooting, through their administrative and criminal reviews, and in rare occasions, their criminal trials.

Work isn't as much fun to talk about as tubes, wire, music, global warming, and the myriad of other subjects to chose from on here.

What little I know of the facts I would say that this wouldn't fly in Austin or Houston. They would be terminated, but probably not indicted here.

The standard this case will be reviewed under is the "objective reasonableness" test.

What happened on the other case up there with the woman in the hospital parking lot?

Travis

• Moderators

If any one is interested in where the standard came from and how it came about you can go to this link to the landmark case, Graham v. Conner. http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1988/1988_87_6571

There is a link to the full written opinion, along with recordings of the oral arguments. Graham was reaffirmed in Plumhoff v. Rikard last year.

You cannot understand how police shootings are reviewed and why cases are indicted or not unless you read, as a start, Graham.

• Like 1

I reviewed the video carefully.  Just before the guy was dropped for good, he turned towards the cops, and put his hands together like he was shooting a gun.

Wonder what the first shots were all about though.  4 seconds in he throws a rock.  A cop had already started drawing before he was even finished spinning.  5 seconds in the gun is fully drawn and the rock throwing guy is walking off, with his back to the cop the whole time.  6 seconds in comes the shots.  I don't think this sequence had anything to do with the cop thinking he was trying to shoot him, there wasn't enough time.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Again, there is another side to the story, I assure you.  The first thing one should notice is there were multiple police already on the scene.  That indicates there was strong police response, and that would not happen for a homeless guy with no other problem, rocks or no.

To be honest, what concerns me at least as much is the fact that this is a busy urban area, and the cops are firing multiple rounds.  If I were a member of the public, I would be concerned about collateral damage.

It was a homeless guy known to have mental deficits.  This is really a senseless shooting.  

In this is the full situation it is totally sad.   Having said that, there has to be more to the story.  What if he had a known weapon such as a box cutter and was on a bath salts, meth or any other drug and could possibly grab the nearest person to him only to change their life along with their parents and kids forever? With such fear of the officers, what keeps the public around him from danger?   Im not saying the man deserved to die, its very unfortunate. 

Again, there is another side to the story, I assure you.  The first thing one should notice is there were multiple police already on the scene.  That indicates there was strong police response, and that would not happen for a homeless guy with no other problem, rocks or no.

Do a google search on the guy, he was an illegal alien who couldn't speak english well, with a history of acting up while on meth, throwing a rocking chair at a cop, hitting cars with brooms, etc. But, there was no way the cops could have known that based on a call from the grocery store. I'm sure he didn't exactly volunteer his ID.

To be honest, what concerns me at least as much is the fact that this is a busy urban area, and the cops are firing multiple rounds.  If I were a member of the public, I would be concerned about collateral damage.

It is kind of strange and sad how the people watching including the camera person is just sitting there like it's a TV show.

Whatever happened to beanbag shotgun rounds? Officers carry a long gun in their cruisers. It used to be shotguns. Now they are AR's, even in non-violent communities. I don't see why you couldn't have both. A few bean bag rounds would have been perfect in this situation. They obviously had time to try the tazer, should have immediately used the shotgun at that point.

• Like 1