What color is this dress?

K5SS

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/02/what_color_is_this_dress_a_scientist_explains_visual_ambiguity_and_color.html

BTW, the reason for this discrepancy applies DIRECTLY to our various disagreements about what we hear.

Well no.  Even the author above admits that they're unsure exactly why people see the colors differently.  I know that I have a very peculiar eye problem and my own color perception here can vary from minute to minute.  So there is a physiologic basis to the phenomenon......... or in my case a pathologic origin to my disorientations.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/02/what_color_is_this_dress_a_scientist_explains_visual_ambiguity_and_color.html

BTW, the reason for this discrepancy applies DIRECTLY to our various disagreements about what we hear.

Well no.  Even the author above admits that they're unsure exactly why people see the colors differently.  I know that I have a very peculiar eye problem and my own color perception here can vary from minute to minute.  So there is a physiologic basis to the phenomenon......... or in my case a pathologic origin to my disorientations.

The meaning is that our sight operates on a contextual basis, not a recording basis. Same with our hearing. We record nothing of what we hear, but we interpret parts of what we hear, and form perceptions about it.

If the perceived colors change then it is more likely altering at the input signal........ at the sensory level of the cones or the rods.  That is my affliction as I have one eye that mis-focuses outside of the macula lutea.  It is an extrinsic fixation.  So this proves (to me) that it is not any matter of brain based contextual interpretation but one of signal at the source - the eyeball.  

This went around at the office before the sun came up today.

Analyzed it via software.  Took a bit of doing to locate a white source as the BG doesn't have an object I could identify.  Best analytic says it's blue and black, and a bit of something quite red to the right center appears to confirm it.  Anytime something is backlit and shot with a crappy camera and then who know what else transcoding the color info gets pretty scrambled.  Here's what I think is close to "truth" from my morning analysis.

post-7390-0-75660000-1425077930_thumb.pn

Dave

This went around at the office before the sun came up today.

Analyzed it via software.  Took a bit of doing to locate a white source as the BG doesn't have an object I could identify.  Best analytic says it's blue and black, and a bit of something quite red to the right center appears to confirm it.  Anytime something is backlit and shot with a crappy camera and then who know what else transcoding the color info gets pretty scrambled.  Here's what I think is close to "truth" from my morning analysis.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Dave

post-6935-0-36500000-1425078477_thumb.pn

From my perspective, I don't care about the perceived color of the dress..

Irrelevant to the remainder of this post, we see both the two variations in our home.

My issue is two respondents which will be un named in this post said the dresses look "Fat" or "big" in those or very similar words or meaning..

You know who you are.

And, I want top make it CLEAR, Both are ---VERY --VERY --- respected by me with their previous help/posts/ forum history.

Please have that clear.

I am commenting on these posts, NOT on the individuals per se.

My immediate knee jerk reaction is F**** Y** .

My long term thought out reaction is - EVERYONE has their own frame of reference.

So, I will forgive that thinking , because I live my life with the concept of EVERYONE has their own S**t.

Including ME in our various manners.

Prejudice of ANY and ALL kinds.

Open soul here- I have always preferred very "full figured" women since my adolescence.

And, after 27 yrs marriage to a very slightly so one, am hooked up for life with a definitely one.

By my choice.

Don't mean to be a downer, but this is a very caring, respectable Forum with VERY good people, and I just felt the need to vent the above.  

Thanks for reading.

This is the "Lounge" where we should be able to speak our thoughts.

Comments welcome.                  Hugs to you ALL.               Lars

See a blue and black dress?: Your retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

See a white and gold dress?: Our eyes don’t work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing (that of green and red) to make gold.”

• Like 1

From my perspective, I don't care about the perceived color of the dress..

Irrelevant to the remainder of this post, we see both the two variations in our home.

My issue is two respondents which will be un named in this post said the dresses look "Fat" or "big" in those or very similar words or meaning..

You know who you are.

And, I want top make it CLEAR, Both are ---VERY --VERY --- respected by me with their previous help/posts/ forum history.

Please have that clear.

I am commenting on these posts, NOT on the individuals per se.

My immediate knee jerk reaction is F**** Y** .

My long term thought out reaction is - EVERYONE has their own frame of reference.

So, I will forgive that thinking , because I live my life with the concept of EVERYONE has their own S**t.

Including ME in our various manners.

Prejudice of ANY and ALL kinds.

Open soul here- I have always preferred very "full figured" women since my adolescence.

And, after 27 yrs marriage to a very slightly so one, am hooked up for life with a definitely one.

By my choice.

Don't mean to be a downer, but this is a very caring, respectable Forum with VERY good people, and I just felt the need to vent the above.  

Thanks for reading.

This is the "Lounge" where we should be able to speak our thoughts.

Comments welcome.                  Hugs to you ALL.               Lars

I like fat chicks to!

Guest Steven1963

So this is what America is transfixed on?  At a time when the internet has just been regulated by 300 pages of secrets (with many people cheering about it), and the ATF is considering a ban on bullets, America is preoccupied with the color of a dress? 

Honestly, I do think this site could benefit from an adult sandbox.  One where the big kids can play and talk about the things that really affect us. How does one petition for the addition of a forum?

Edited by Steven1963