Decorator Cornwalls

Have you begun the veneering of the cabinets yet?  Here is a suggestion...if the veneering has NOT begun:

You may want to brace the inside of the cabinet PRIOR TO the veneering...here is why:  fir is more subject to resonances and such because it is SOFTWOOD, and NOT HARDWOOD, like birch is...and softwood has more "flex"...even  in plywood...and the object of bracing is to tighten up the flex. 

But, if you wait til the veneer is on the outer panels, instead of bracing beforehand, the act of bracing may cause what appears to be a good veneer job prior to the bracing, show separation at joints due to the results of stiffening the cabinet with braces.

It is the nature of the beast when doing veneer overlays...so I suggest any bracing be done prior to the veneering.

• Like 2

The top and sides should be OK, where i would add braces would be over the woofer and to the side of the woofer.

Connect the motorboard with the rear panel in those two places should make a big difference.

If you want to add some damping material to the rest of the cabinet interior would not hurt either.  Acoust-x  Just roll on or brush it on.

So the veneer guy just got back to me. Quarter saw Oak or Walnut. The Oak is absolutely beautiful, and the walnut has some great character too. Then he's got to pull down the mahogany and IDK what else. Too many choices, I couldn't even get the pies right. LOL

Mark

So the 3M tape on the back of the Pie badges doesnt hold very well to the new cloth. It popped with the slightest pull and didnt leave a mark. Pies are now opposing, they are propped up against the cabs for the pic

Mark

post-48599-0-43880000-1428611048_thumb.j

post-48599-0-77840000-1428611060_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 2

So I picked up a pair of 77 CWs today. The plan is to swap out the woofers from those with the decorators. Since the woofers will be hiding behind the laser badges, the repairs wont bother me. And the 73s will look even better. Now I just need to keep people at least 5 feet away

Mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Since the grills are baltic birch, HDBR recommended I put pads on the back side of the grills to help prevent vibration. I picked these pads up at HD, they are about 1/4 inch thick. My plan is to put magnets under the veneer and magnets on the grills. Is there any reason I couldn't set the magnets inside the pads? The magnets are 3/16 thick so they wouldnt be touching the grill itself.

Bracing is going slowly, fortunately or not, I'm getting busier at work

TY

Mark

post-48599-0-96440000-1432755263_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

Is there enough Baltic Birch thickness to install the magnets flush with the grille surface, then epoxy over them?  If they are rare earth magnets they'll need to be fastened securely.

Or maybe you have solved the magnet issue already......?

Edited by Rivernuggets

The grills are thick enough, the felt pads on the back of the grills to reduce vibration are thicker then the magnets. So I'm trying to come up with a magnet thats at least a 1/4 inch thick so it could be attached to the BB inside the felt pads and be flush with the pads

Mark

Decorators are a different cut list and assembly type. Notice that instead of a box with a motor board inset, the Decorator has a motor board that extends the entire height of the cabinet. Viewed straight on from the front, you see no end grain of the top and bottom panels. Possibly a stronger cabinet style but more difficult assembly. In finer veneers the look magnificent.

Actually decorators were an EASIER assembly...and quicker, too!! It only took one builder to do either birch build, but the decorator only had glue blocks around its backside, which cut down on the time required to do the build. Someday I will do a video of how the decorators went together, and some of you folks will surprised how fast it was done!
  • Like 1

Since the grills are baltic birch, HDBR recommended I put pads on the back side of the grills to help prevent vibration. I picked these pads up at HD, they are about 1/4 inch thick. My plan is to put magnets under the veneer and magnets on the grills. Is there any reason I couldn't set the magnets inside the pads? The magnets are 3/16 thick so they wouldnt be touching the grill itself.

Bracing is going slowly, fortunately or not, I'm getting busier at work

TY

Mark

Those are some THICK pads...the Velcro dots would be thinner and muffle any vibrations quite well, but you have to use many of them...but they are also CHEAP! Just be sure to use the LOOP dots, NOT the HOOK dots.

On my Scala trim I put metal tabs under the veneer and magnets in the base shoe molding. That way I could move the trim if it was off a bit.... the grill from Klipsch fits snugly inside the trim frame that I made.But with the veneer on the top section I usually just leave the grills off when listening. I got pics on the forum somewhere...I can never find them..lol . Rick  Ps also make sure the magnets attract each other or it could be a problem. That's the main reason I used the metal tabs under the veneer.