I'm In Love With a Kayak.....

Gilbert

Think'in about pulling the trigger on one of these kayaks, and was wondering if anyone uses or has tried kayak fishing.

http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/

I've got a decent bassboat, but don't want to dunk it in the salt water. I realize I can flush the motor and rinse the boat off, but would rather buy (when I can afford) a purpose built saltwater fishing boat. Tired of paying guides, even though I like the fella, it's starting to hurt when we pay, even when the fee is split two ways.

Reason for wanting a yak is simple, less expensive than a guide, can dock pretty much anywhere I can drive my truck, can venture farther out across and into the bay, and no worries with stingrays. Stingrays started giving me the willies recently, I generally enjoy wade fishing when I take the kids to the beach, and last year caught a big stingray that wanted to give me the pointy end of her spear. Even after I cut the line, that son of a gun planted down in the sand right next to me. Made the hair on my neck stand-up, never had one do that before.

Anyway, if you've got experience fishing from a yak, share your experience. What did you like, and not like? What fishing accessories, doodads, etc. are critical or essential?

Edited by Gilbert

Not quite the same but my boss is selling two yaks. I has a 'owner installed' trolling motor. Probably make a good deal on them as he wants them out of the garage for another airplane build. Location 78418

That Hobie is nice, but you'll need the carrier also. I bought a sit in and a ride on top. My sit in cost me $225.00, I put on 3 rod holders, oar holder, depth finder, anchor, and a spot for lures as well as the back which holds gear. It weighs 40 lbs, I put it on my roof top of a car, SUV, or minivan. I only need 6 inches of water to be able to navigate through things. I go both salt and freshwater fishing. That's what the sit on top is used for. I can fly fish from either as well as rod and reel and can get in many more places most people can't. You are closer to the water, so there's a slight learning curve for casting. My sit on top is only 47 lbs. I've done blue Fish, Stripers, Fluke, and will be going for shark this year. With fresh water I've done bass, pickerel, pike, panfish, carp, cat fish, and several others. I've done the Delaware River,numerous ,lakes and ponds, and even small streams. It's also easier to carry into the woods when camping and lake hopping even more so than the Hobie.

Having said that, the Hobie is what most Yak Fishermen have on their "wants" list.It's extremely versatile, and especially with not needing a paddle more versatile for hands free travel.You can also add on a trolling motor on the rear. I want one of those also.

If you have the means and storage and can get the tow carrier go for it. You can't go wrong with one of them.

post-59264-0-33540000-1426203652_thumb.j

post-59264-0-88980000-1426203715_thumb.j

post-59264-0-99380000-1426203728_thumb.j

post-59264-0-53140000-1426203744_thumb.j

Edited by Jim
  • Like 2

A guy that works for me fishes from a kayak. He says it's fun when you hook a fish big enough to pull the kayak around.

That's precisely what I'd like to find out when the Red Fish start running, maybe hook onto a big bull at the landcut.

Jim, thanks for sharing, and thinking about the carrier, but I don't think (?) I'll need one. I will order a bed-extender (see photo), or make something myself. Don't want to hassle with a trailer, and neither do I like the idea of leaving it in the back of my truck when out of town, but I'll find a way to secure it.

post-10277-0-99500000-1426253813_thumb.j

• Like 1

That Hobie is nice, but you'll need the carrier also. I bought a sit in and a ride on top. My sit in cost me $225.00, I put on 3 rod holders, oar holder, depth finder, anchor, and a spot for lures as well as the back which holds gear. It weighs 40 lbs, I put it on my roof top of a car, SUV, or minivan. I only need 6 inches of water to be able to navigate through things. I go both salt and freshwater fishing. That's what the sit on top is used for. I can fly fish from either as well as rod and reel and can get in many more places most people can't. You are closer to the water, so there's a slight learning curve for casting. My sit on top is only 47 lbs. I've done blue Fish, Stripers, Fluke, and will be going for shark this year. With fresh water I've done bass, pickerel, pike, panfish, carp, cat fish, and several others. I've done the Delaware River,numerous ,lakes and ponds, and even small streams. It's also easier to carry into the woods when camping and lake hopping even more so than the Hobie.

Having said that, the Hobie is what most Yak Fishermen have on their "wants" list.It's extremely versatile, and especially with not needing a paddle more versatile for hands free travel.You can also add on a trolling motor on the rear. I want one of those also.

If you have the means and storage and can get the tow carrier go for it. You can't go wrong with one of them.

Quite the fisherman there Jim  :D

• Like 1

Joe, the price ranges are all over the place with Kayaks. I like the Hobie because it's received excellent reviews for comfort, self-propulsion using legs not  and fish-ability. From what I gather, fishability includes ability to fish standing, sitting, trolling, or while on the move. Purpose built for fishing, and offers all the right accessories.

Found a dealer in San Antonio (about 30 min. away), going to check them out this afternoon. I'll let yea know on the price, but from what I've read they MSRP at $3 grand and change for the 14 footer.

Its' also a bit rich for my blood too, but I'll have it for life, and I think I'll use the hell out of it for salt water bay fishing, and the local river (Guadalupe Rive) just min. from where I live. I'm going to sell the wife on the fact that it's a great way to exercise :) and loose weight while I fish.  Just won't tell her about the built-in ice cooler for beer and snacks. :wub:

Edited by Gilbert

My business name is actually named after where I kayak at. I tried to start a kayak rental company that went there. I fish out of it sometimes but nothing serious.

Biggest thing I don't like about fishing out of one is dealing with Chinese carp. When you are being quiet then go and dip your paddle in the water to move, they get excited and will jump at you. Scares the bejeezus out of me every time.

Also I don't like not being able to stand up. I feel that you need one stable enough that you can stand. I don't feel like I am in nearly as much control when fishing while sitting down in a kayak.

Then there's the whole safety thing. To fish you typically want a camo or earth tone color, except on a big lake big boats will run you over unless your boat is a bright color.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Gilbert,

If you go down 1 step on size, they should run around $1500.00. The size below also lets you stand up. And it will be much less on weight and having to carry it.

There are also a few other brands out there that are now doing the same as Hobie, so look at a few other brands.They are half the price.

Metro- Red Kayaks are actually not an issue as red within the scope of fish is actually an attractant. Fish will investigate or attack any other fish with red in them due to blood and injury, so a red kayak is no issue. Also, if you are fishing from a Yak, most of the time you aren't jigging, so they don't even see the yak until brought to it.

I've had common carp over 25 lbs also do that with me when coming up on them, and actually had a 50"+ musky follow my lure up and bump me. That was a little crazy.

• Like 1

Made it back from the Kayak store. A bunch of different brands, they must have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 50 in stock and on display.... even more in the back. Only a couple of 2015 Hobie PA14 footers, which were already sold and being rigged up while I was there.

Jim, I agree with you 100% on the 12 footer being stable enough for standing, especially after seeing one. The weight difference is trivial between the 12ft and 14ft, and the price difference was less than $200. The 14 footer is a whole lot more boat for the money.... but too pricey for me to bite on right now.

The Hobies are definitely the widest, and from the looks of the seat, and owners comments, they are by far the most comfortable, and easiest to get in and out of. I loved the boat, and even though I'm not going to pull the trigger right now, I priced one out.

There were only (2)  2015 models, and both are 14 ft'ers. They also had (2) 2014 model 14 ft'ers as well. Last years models are ($400 off) MSRP, or $2800, and I could have taken him down below that. They want to sell them asap. The improvements included on the 2015 include an extra tracking skag, improved and extended side rails, and detachable H-frame. The added skag improves straight line tracking (less fiddling with the rudder while on the move), the H-frame would help a fat man like me stand up easier, or act as a leaning post while stand-fishing. The Hobie's are the way to go, but they're pricy'er for sure.

A fully loaded, optioned out the wazoo 2015 PA14 will run in the $4.5k to $5k range, but that's loaded up, including elec. power pole micro (good to 8 ft. depth), H-Crate (for all you gear storage), Hobie's mini-trolling motor w/ lithium battery (good for 6 knots at full speed), 6 rod holders, XL Live well, and a bunch of assorted attachments, just tons of stuff, more than I'll ever need..... I think.

Anyway, all I can do right now is think about getting one, it's too rich for my wallet right now. The kiddos' got come first, along with their summer vacations. Looks like I might go wading again this year......  fk'ing stingrays.

Edited by Gilbert

Do they have any sportsmen shows down in your neck? We get them here all the time, and they have several different types of yaks that are similar to the Hobies. They are also able to stand up in all the way down to 10'.

The other brands also have an attachment right on them so they can fold out and turn into a pontoon for stability. So the very back of it folds out and you can stand up in them,the seat is almost like a lawn chair and they only run like 1800.00 I will look online and forward the info if you'd like.

If you do decide to go wading though, use wading boots that you would use with waders that have the socks and you should be fine.

Edited by Jim

There is a big kayak fishing specific store in Nashville called Hook 1 that always has a ton of high end closeouts and last year's models, might want to call them up and see if they have any advice or can ship or at least give you a price so you can match it.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/