Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

It will go way down, I don't think it will go away entirely because maintenance will be the responsibility of the owner and any damages caused by failure to maintain it

Reasonable assumption...but I rather believe that any potentially catastrophic failures that the owner might catch will be caught first by the machine.  And eventually the "owner" will be the government or private industry as keeping a car sitting around doing nothing is rather silly.

Dave

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Now the sensor has arrived and the car was repaired but the vehicle must be towed to the car dealer to be reprogrammed/certified for the new sensor installation

for $500.00. This repair action of course assumes that everything goes without a hitch/hiccup.

Rather a stretch, but even if true much less than a years worth of liability...2 years or more if you have a teen around or are young.

Dave

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I can see it now---On vacation  riding in my autonomous vehicle and it quits running on the freeway. Cop stops and his readout of my vehicle says one of the sensors failed and your vehicle must be repaired before riding again. Also it is red tagged and must be towed to the repair facility for $250.00. Upon arriving at the repair facility the owners of the vehicle learn that it will take 3 weeks to get the new sensor and the cost will be $1,000.00 for a 50 cent sensor. Because the owners are on vacation they will have to rent a motel room for 3 weeks at $100.00 per day plus the cost of the meals at $50.00 per day. Now the sensor has arrived and the car was repaired but the vehicle must be towed to the car dealer to be reprogrammed/certified for the new sensor installation

for $500.00. This repair action of course assumes that everything goes without a hitch/hiccup.

JJK

This seems a reasonable scenario particularly if the service center is staffed with the type of morons who kept our office machines running, or not. In the scene above the car would be certified A-OK ready to resume all transportation functions but quickly finding the GPS program was overlooked and the entire trip consisted of left turns only. In other words, driving in circles. Similar to NASCAR as we know it today ---

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I can see it now---On vacation  riding in my autonomous vehicle and it quits running on the freeway. Cop stops and his readout of my vehicle says one of the sensors failed and your vehicle must be repaired before riding again. Also it is red tagged and must be towed to the repair facility for $250.00. Upon arriving at the repair facility the owners of the vehicle learn that it will take 3 weeks to get the new sensor and the cost will be $1,000.00 for a 50 cent sensor. Because the owners are on vacation they will have to rent a motel room for 3 weeks at $100.00 per day plus the cost of the meals at $50.00 per day. Now the sensor has arrived and the car was repaired but the vehicle must be towed to the car dealer to be reprogrammed/certified for the new sensor installation

JJK

This seems a reasonable scenario particularly if the service center is staffed with the type of morons who kept our office machines running, or not. In the scene above the car would be certified A-OK ready to resume all transportation functions but quickly finding the GPS program was overlooked and the entire trip consisted of left turns only. In other words, driving in circles. Similar to NASCAR as we know it today ---

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

JJK

40 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Rather a stretch, but even if true much less than a years worth of liability...2 years or more if you have a teen around or are young.

Dave

I mentioned this because of any computer related problems or replacement of major components requires a computer reset from the dealer. This includes rear end ratios, transmissions,

motors, and a lot of stuff I don't know about.

JJK

JJK, I see little change from now in that, except for the better.  Plenty of states where a cop can effectively boot your car on the spot for safety reasons already.  The computers will only improve that situation by providing early warning.

Dave

3 hours ago, Mallette said:

JJK, I see little change from now in that, except for the better.  Plenty of states where a cop can effectively boot your car on the spot for safety reasons already.  The computers will only improve that situation by providing early warning.

Dave

I didn't explain myself properly. If you for instance change the rear end ratio (Hot rodding) the computer will not boot as I understand it until the ratio is changed back. I can't remember who told me this. It supposedly is an EPA violation.

JJK

8 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I didn't explain myself properly. If you for instance change the rear end ratio (Hot rodding) the computer will not boot as I understand it until the ratio is changed back. I can't remember who told me this. It supposedly is an EPA violation.

JJK

I paid a princely upfront cost for violating EPA fuel standards. I, we, have also paid princely sums for violating the Bose cube principle with our ridiculously oversized audio boxes. Gots' to pay to play ---

35 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

If you for instance change the rear end ratio (Hot rodding) the computer will not boot as I understand it until the ratio is changed back.

Irrelevant then.  No point in moding a car with no steering or accelerator.  If it breaks down it will summon a tow.  

Dave

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Mods on AV's will be more along the lines of computer hacks.

Most hackers I know are not interested in hot rods, and security on these things is going to be rather difficult since the manufacturer is responsible.  Hack proof?  Not even DOD is...but the return will hardly be worth the risk and I suspect the last ditch defense will be self-destruction of the control chip.  It CAN be done and is necessary.  

Rather doubt the computer will care about mods to the sound system.  Actually, since all aboard will be looking for entertainment during routine or night drives I believe that Klipsch and others will have an opportunity to greatly improve entertainment quality in vehicles.  A big screen completely covering the front window would be awesome...and will happen.  

Dave

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Hot rodders will be doing the hacking.

Not Texarkana hot rodders.  They don't even use smart phones much less computers to any degree and generally concentrate on vehicles that are way behind any on board computers of any kind...much less autonomy.  I respect that.  Great people.  Our local Four States Auto Museum is wonderful and well worth a visit.

Dave

Currently you can have modifications done on pretty much any modules you want.  Modders not only keep up with the technology but improve it in areas as well.  Many manufacturers believe that nothing can be changed in their computers without leaving a tell tale but I have a program on my car that even the dealership scanners can't detect.  Pretty much any electronic device can be hacked now.  There's no reason to think that will change in the future.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

There's no reason to think that will change in the future.

Yes, there is.  It's essential to makers in that hackers could cost them millions or billions in liability.  That kind of money creates solutions.  

Dave

51 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Yes, there is.  It's essential to makers in that hackers could cost them millions or billions in liability.  That kind of money creates solutions.  

Dave

How much did equifax's hack cost them?  How much did Target's hack cost them?  Government officials on secure servers have been hacked.  Countries are hacking other countries.  AV's will be no different.  Difficult to hack?  Sure.  Impossible to hack is laughable.