Oldtimer's Hot Sauce

Mallette

Is that an old quarry?

Good question, but no I don't think it was ever a quarry, at least not for mining minerals. I use to fish a number of quarries when I lived in Florida, and that was interesting stuff. Some of those old phosphate quarries get really deep.

Anyway, the rocky terrain is like that for miles and miles and miles in all directions. From up high, you can see the foot hills of the Sierra Madres deep into Mexico. If you travel the lake far enough upstream to the north & west, where it becomes a river, and the Pecos and Rio Grande come together, there are some formidable shear cliffs, easily 300ft plus high cliffs. Wild goats and Audad sheep often travel along the cliff faces, and I just scratch my head wondering how they do it. Every once in while we find a dead one at the bottom of the cliff, or in the water, usually their young ones that havn't mastered the cliffs.

There are also lots of areas with ancient artifacts, and because of this the Fed's took over the lake, and confiscated (reclaimed) some of the lands along the river. Seminole park is one of those areas. There are many caves with ancient paintings, 1000's of years old. Some have hundreds of rock chippings, arrowhead bits, and broken or uncompleted spear tips. At the mouth of one particular cave that's sits up 30 feet above the current river/lake water level, there's a huge mound formed from rock chippings. You can tell it was a location where the indigenous people made their tools/weapons etc. It would take a good week or so with a dredging machine to harvest all the chippings. There's easily a solid 10 to 20 tons worth that are exposed, and lord only knows how much below the water level. Back in 2009 when I first went back there, we were diving and finding some decent looking arrowheads, until a park ranger pulled up along side us and said the area was off limits for that kind of activity.

We showed them our ill gotten booty, which admired, and then tossed it back over board.

Most of the interesting caves, or at least the best ones, have hidden and not so hidden motion sensors embedded into the rock face and paths leading up to them. I think (?) they're there more to the drug smugglers than for looters. Lots of drug smuggling in certain areas, Mexico is just a 5 or 7min. swim at the narrower places.  Some of the caves have old, old jail bars closing them off completely. In one of the caves that has these bars, there are supposedly petrified skeleton remains of indigenous people. I've traveled back to the bars, but can't see the remains. There's is an old warning sign about not causing damage to the cave or going beyond the bars. At the barred gate, there's a really cool old lock, it has a slide piece over the key hole and looks like it needs one of those old timey skeleton keys.

There's one particularly interesting area where the old rail road tracks from the 1800's still exist. They run mostly along the hill tops, before at this one area they drop down low before turning  into a wide path that leads into what is now flooded. The tracks corroded away long ago, and lead to a man made tunnel that's typically flooded to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the tunnel height. The tunnel makes for an excellent places to set catfish lines, because it's always dark (pitch black actually). We've never traveled the tunnel all the way through, because it eventually gets completely submerged. But we do travel a good 300 ft, or so inside. Far enough inside to where we feel not many people are willing to go, and mess with our catfish lines. When I first went in there it was the eeriest feeling in the world. The water is unusually cold, very cold, and gets rather deep, 15 to 20ft deep towards the back, and only about 7 to 9 feet at the mouth of the tunnel. When we set out lines we get in the water, but when we check them for fish, we generally do it from the boat, unless a catfish wraps the line up around something down below. That's when the fun really starts. The water is very clear in the tunnel, but you cant' see all the way to the bottom. We've pulled some big catfish out of there, more than a few that were too big to eat and so we let those go. They can be a pain in the asss to deal with when they get better than 50- 60lbs. We generally keep the 20lbs and smaller, and let the big mama's go to breed and multiply. Mostly catch flathead (aka Yellow cats) and channel cats. But during the colder months the big blue cats are more active, and those babies get big, really big.

Trying Google'ing "Panther Cave Lake Amistad", it's one of the better known caves, and it accessible only by boat.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did somebody say "sauce"????????

_ sauce 926.jpg

I got "amped" and "sauced" today; and it doesn't get much better than that!

Amps and Sauce 02.jpg

Amps and Sauce 03.jpg

Amps and Sauce 06.jpg

post-36163-0-27000000-1435629393_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes a bit, using the MX151 / MC8207 combo. Have not yet done the C2500 / MC275 tubes. While I would have loved to have heard the KHorns in a 'cornered' room they just didn't sound they way that worked for me even with enclosed backs.

I love the Cornwalls as they fill in the bottom that was never there and have a more mellow sound (that I like) than the Belles. Not as pretty or awesome looking than either 3 Belles or KHorns/Belle but in my house they work better.

When I get my next 3 day weekend I will fire up the tubes and see. Frankly the SS sounds so good that it will have to be mighty impressive in order to prevent me from toying with the idea of swapping out the C2500/MEN220/MC275 units in order to fund a return to vinyl.

I had a hard time picking the Corns over Forte III (wait time on the finish I would have picked) and thought about doing special order Corns with Oak.

Now my confession: I thought I was going crazy or sobering up but over a time the KHorns lost their luster in the bottom end and after changing crossovers and enclosing the backs I just blamed it on the room. So the new owner was coming and I had to disconnect and ready for load out. I had to remove one of the back enclosure panels on each speaker to access the speaker wire connection and found the bass bin jumpers disconnected. No, I didn't forget to hook them up it was that I had ran out of banana plugs and used spades. Spade speaker wire terminals and spade jumpers that were not tightened properly or whatever the jumpers had slipped out and I had no woofers. I found this at the last minute and would not have been fair to the buyer to cancel after payment (and have 3 Cornwalls sitting here) so I hung my head and carried on. While I felt and still feel foolish I like the Cornwalls better IN THIS ROOM.

New stock of banana plugs will be on order forthwith.