Oldtimer's Hot Sauce

Mallette

I think I sent you some bhut seeds a few years ago, did they sprout?

Not only did they sprout, I kept one plant over 2 years.  I had so many peppers, I had to give a bunch to my friend to dehydrate for me.  I crushed most of them and mixed them with the dried red peppers you buy in the spice aisle in the store.  It was pretty potent.

That's awesome!!! Great idea drying them and making flakes. That is one FUNKY tasting pepper, the overtones of garlic in some of the ones I have had tastes like no other pepper I have had. Maybe it was the soil? The only thing I like to use them for is in buffalo wings with franks hot sauce, and some Indian dishes.. The CRs, are much easier to work with. They are so hot I try not to touch them, one time my fingers burned for almost 2 days. I use a fork and knife now to deseed them, then chop.

They are so hot I try not to touch them, one time my fingers burned for almost 2 days.

I like to take whatever hot pepper I'm growing, throw them in a food processor with garlic, basil (or chives), then mix that with olive oil and salt.  The first time I did it in the kitchen, we couldn't breathe.  It was like someone hosed down the kitchen with mace.  I do it outside now and wear latex gloves.

The Trinidad Scorpion I had last year made it through the winter.  It's in a pot so I put it under cover when we had frost or ice.  About a month or so ago, I cut it way back.  It's currently putting out leaves all up and down the bare stalks.  My cherry peppers from last year have been making peppers for about a month now.  I have a basket of fire plant that dtel sent me seeds for that's making peppers now as well.

They are so hot I try not to touch them, one time my fingers burned for almost 2 days.

I like to take whatever hot pepper I'm growing, throw them in a food processor with garlic, basil (or chives), then mix that with olive oil and salt.  The first time I did it in the kitchen, we couldn't breathe.  It was like someone hosed down the kitchen with mace.  I do it outside now and wear latex gloves.

The Trinidad Scorpion I had last year made it through the winter.  It's in a pot so I put it under cover when we had frost or ice.  About a month or so ago, I cut it way back.  It's currently putting out leaves all up and down the bare stalks.  My cherry peppers from last year have been making peppers for about a month now.  I have a basket of fire plant that dtel sent me seeds for that's making peppers now as well.

Seeds are on the way!!! PM me your address and I will send them!!! Send the scorpion seeds to OT so he can make some more sauces if he would like.....I bet a little bit of scorpion, ghost, and reaper pepper with pineapple and some of his magic would be very good!!!

Sure Carl I'm always willing to try new things.  I have planted some chilepetins this year in Texas, I wanted the tepins but haven't found them.  I also put in a coupe of thai chile plants.  Maybe at harvest I'll make a special edition Texas Thai batch.

I got my 3 bottles today and tried them all at dinner, I cant pick a favorite they are all awesome Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I favor the Gourmet Red Thai    but like I said they are all great , I will be ordering more   Thanks OT

One of my favorite peppers is the chile' pequin.  They grew wild in our yard and at our ranch house.  They are hot but not Habenero or Ghost Pepper hot.  Their flavor is fantastic!  Brought some seeds from Texas and hoping I can get them to germinate here in VT.  Our growing season is short I may go potted and inside to see how they fair.  Cholula hot sauce is based on the pequin pepper with some chile' de arbol mixed in. 

Serrano's are another tasty pepper and popular in South Texas.

Sure Carl I'm always willing to try new things.  I have planted some chilepetins this year in Texas, I wanted the tepins but haven't found them.  I also put in a coupe of thai chile plants.  Maybe at harvest I'll make a special edition Texas Thai batch.

I need to place an order anyways as I need 2 more bottles.  I'll throw a check in the envelope with the seeds.  When I get home tonight I'll PM you with what I want so you can give me a price.

I can't remember exactly where I got the scorpion seeds from.  Hopefully they haven't been modified not to reproduce as the seeds will be from peppers I grew last year.

I have planted some chilepetins this year in Texas

Was eyeing some Chiltepin plants at Lowes Garden Center a week or so ago, and they looked suspiciously close to what we living near the border call "chilepequin". Don't know what a mature Chiltepin looks like, but based on this article they appear to be the original Mother Pepper.

http://www.worldshottestgarlicpepper.com/chiltepin.php

• Moderators
I got my 3 bottles today and tried them all at dinner, I cant pick a favorite they are all awesome Thanks

That's exactly what I thought after I tried all 3 in Hope, I liked them all. 

Okay so there are three (I think) bottles on the table at Rodney's and I eat there at least once a week. In commercial terms: I like Sriracha, Louisiana, and Frank's. Can't deal with Tabasco. I like to taste the peppers but not have my taste buds numbed. Which one should I try?

Okay so there are three (I think) bottles on the table at Rodney's and I eat there at least once a week. In commercial terms: I like Sriracha, Louisiana, and Frank's. Can't deal with Tabasco. I like to taste the peppers but not have my taste buds numbed. Which one should I try?

Gourmet Green Thai would be my suggestion.

• Like 1

Firecracker.  I love the green but it's a smidge hotter if that matters.  The firecracker has a very unique taste.

My pick too.  Firecracker. Green runs a close second. Personally, I think they're all relatively close in the burn dept.