"Is Tom Brady a Cheater?" "I don't believe so..........."

Bonzo

• Moderators

Or is it just twelve balls for the "kicking game"?

I don't think that "digest" I quoted is complete, or is too abridged, it doesn't make sense. Other things I have read say each offense uses their own set of balls but they are all furnished by home team.

I think the media, as usual, has the facts all messed up, and so, in turn they are all over the place here. Fortunately, the report is available on line, and they discuss the actual rules, and the evidence, in there.

Haven't had time to look at that yet.

Travis

• Like 1

Ok, several years ago Peyton and Tom made a big ruckus about the condition of the balls that the league supplied, or maybe it was the balls supplied by the home team.  I'm too lazy to google.  Since that time, each team was allowed to supply the balls that their respective quarterbacks would use on game day.  The equipment mgr and QB get together and decide what to do to prep the balls.  It involves scuffing, wetting and generally breaking them in.  Remember who was one of the 2 qb's involved in the rule change.  Tom is very particular about the condition of his game balls.

• Moderators

Don't you just love a non-profit organization being so all high and mighty?

Although personally I think the pats organization deserves more of a penalty than they received. If anything for the cumulative scandals they have been involved in.

Didn't they punt their non-profit status, I thought I read that recently?

Godell makes 35 million a year.

Municipalities have funded, not loaned, funded, 2/3 of the cost of the NFL stadiums. Arlington gave JJ 325 million for ATT Stadium which taxpayers in Arlington, hey Chris you out there, pay for with an extra 1/2% in sales tax.

We are a sports crazed nation, so it doesn't matter.

What is really important, and what I want to know is, who is investigating those calls in the Cowboys playoff game? :)

I thought there was an independent investigation and Kraft hired the "world's leading" expert on the Ideal Gas Law? I must have misread it.

Nah, you're probably correct. I just glazed through all the stories, and when the talk about who did what and the size of the ball this, and volume that.... it's all BS, hocus pocus. I understand Boyle's Law (or think I do anyway) how it was derived and the other derivations of it, and as you mentioned previously. The only variable subject to change in this equation, and in my mind, is temperature. Ball size constant, therefore volume is constant. Pump it up to a set pressure, call it good. And if they really wanted to be anal, they could always use nitrogen, which is significantly more stable relative to changes in temperature.

IMHO, Brady knew, the patriots top brass knew, so bringing in so-called expert$ with smoke and mirrors and playing Robert Boyle or Jacque Charles is just going to piss people off, at least as long as those people aren't also die-hard fans.

They should just plead no-contest, and take their medicine. That $1,000,000 fine will disappear with 1 or 2 Oprah and ESPN personal interviews.

Edited by Gilbert

• Moderators

Ok, several years ago Peyton and Tom made a big ruckus about the condition of the balls that the league supplied, or maybe it was the balls supplied by the home team. I'm too lazy to google. Since that time, each team was allowed to supply the balls that their respective quarterbacks would use on game day. The equipment mgr and QB get together and decide what to do to prep the balls. It involves scuffing, wetting and generally breaking them in. Remember who was one of the 2 qb's involved in the rule change. Tom is very particular about the condition of his game balls.

I read that too in the media. I will look at the Report and see if it says anything differently.

• Moderators

Yet to see evidence.  Did both teams not use the same ball?

I'm pretty sure they don't play with each others balls.

As I said "Yet to see the evidence".  Notice how the QB always has his hands on the centers rear :o

I'm not sure what the NFL standard is on enforcing the rules and punishment. Do they need direct evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt, reasonable suspicion, we don't like the guy or??? I'm sure there is something in their policy that explains what is needed before any punishment is administered. That being said, like oldtimer mentioned, it is the NFL.

According to the report, the standard is "preponderance of the evidence", which is more probable than not.

• Like 1

The Pats cheated by videotaping the Rams SuperBowl walkthrough, which surfaced when their video dude was busted for illegally taping the Jets practice, for which they were fined half a mil and lost a draft pick.

This is the reason for the enhanced fine, as this is their second, but really their third cheating violation.

The smoking gun on this one is their equipment guys texting back and forth about the deflating of the balls. Hand in the cookie jar, et al.

Edited by sheltie dave
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Travis your time is too valuable to waste on this.

(btw what do you know about wills and estates?)

Unfortunately a great deal, as an attorney for Police Associations, I have to prepare wills for officers as part of their legal coverage, and unfortunately, have to handle their estates. PM me and I can call you.

Travis

• Moderators

The Pats cheated by videotaping the Rams SuperBowl walkthrough, which surfaced when their video dude was busted for illegally taping the Jets practice, for which they were fined half a mil and lost a draft pick.

This is the reason for the enhanced fine, as this is their second, but really their third cheating violation.

The smoking gun on this one is their equipment guys texting back and forth about the deflating of the balls. Hand in the cookie jar, et al.

There is always text messages, unbelievable.

I read them, the guy was doing it for signed footballs, shoes and a jersey, for several games.

Yet to see evidence.  Did both teams not use the same ball?

I'm pretty sure they don't play with each others balls.

As I said "Yet to see the evidence".  Notice how the QB always has his hands on the centers rear :o
I'm not sure what the NFL standard is on enforcing the rules and punishment. Do they need direct evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt, reasonable suspicion, we don't like the guy or??? I'm sure there is something in their policy that explains what is needed before any punishment is administered. That being said, like oldtimer mentioned, it is the NFL.

According to the report, the standard is "preponderance of the evidence", which is more probable than not.

Thanks, so it would be more like a civil case than criminal which makes sense. Does the commissioner have the final say in an appeal? If so, is he involved in the investigation?

It is now an arbitration case for Brady, but the fine and the lost draft picks stick for the Patriots.

Ironically, if Brady fessed up, he would have gotten a game or two at worst. By trying to hornswaggle everyone and acting the wrong martyr, he screwed himself and his team, badly. The Pats also refused to cooperate when all the league wanted was to make it go away, before the Super Bowl. The only time lower pressure balls help is in the rain or bitterly cold weather, and Brady didn't see either on the way to the championship.

What is really important, and what I want to know is, who is investigating those calls in the Cowboys playoff game? :)

Wow, I find that amazing!  Why haven't we heard about that???  :o

The Cowboys made the playoffs?

• Like 1