"Is Tom Brady a Cheater?" "I don't believe so..........."

Bonzo

• Moderators

Kraft will "accept" NE punishment, very interesting.

Roger was asked, "how can you be fair." He said we had an independent investigation", and my third in command gave punishment, which I approved, so of course I can be fair. I only saw a portion so I don't know if he was asked why coachs escaped. I am thinking this may be why Kraft is "accepting" the punishment.

• Moderators

Attorney for Kraft is described as "snarky" to excess in his 20,000 word response to the Wells Report.

"Goldberg inserted a certain level of snark that was simply not necessary to the Patriots’ making their point."

The link to full article is here;

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/14/hurley-patriots-response-to-wells-report-powerful-pointed-and-at-times-unprofessional/

It is under section titled "The Patriots’ Tone Was At Times Unprofessional — Very Unprofessional."

So, at least in the opinion of that reporter, there are times when it is best not to be too snarky.

• Moderators

Pro sports is an interesting phenomena from a business stand point. The workers, or players, tend to make lots more money than their supervisors/managers. I can't think of any other business where that's the case. So, a head coach/manager is supposed to be able to discipline, or at least hold accountable, his/her players for his or her actions. Often times, the player suffers little consequence from "middle management" due to the massive compensation they receive. However, lower paid managers can be gone when one of the stars has an issue because the franchises ability to win more games can be determined by the stars lack of production. Ergo, the lower paid management is held to a much higher standard for lower compensation in most cases. Can you imagine a Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula etc. taking crap from a player and not putting them in their place for fear of getting fired because the prima donna multi-millionaire athlete might get their feefee's hurt and wine to the owners and the press?

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I think a lot of the hurt fee fees are blown up by the media and younger players not knowing when to keep their mouths shut.

It would depend on the player on whether Shula, Lombardi or Landry would put up with him or not. Al Davis built a football empire based on excellence by picking up players that people wouldn't deal with. That caused organizations to reevaluate what they were willing to put up with.

"Player's coaches" as oppossed to the disciplinarians, seem to be just as sucsessful.

I would think, but I don't really know, that the only class of players that can have that can cause that kind of fear in a coach would be those that have a guaranteed contract AND, a no cut, no trade provision, AND, are a franchise player. Otherwise they can be gone at any point. Magic Johnson got a head coach fired. There are how many players in the NFL that can do that? No one is getting the Pats coach fired. No one can get Pete Carroll fired I am guessing. Some coaches, like Bill Walsh insisted on being GM as well as being head coach, it sort of defines what the boundaries are from the very beginning. I guess really what the question is what is the track record of the coach, and if a team is winning or not.

On a pragmatic level, I think the press picks up on the whiners and malcontents and then the fans pick up on this. One week of being booed sort of has a way of snapping those players guys back to reality. Fans can turn on you in an instant.

Travis

Attorney for Kraft is described as "snarky" to excess in his 20,000 word response to the Wells Report. "Goldberg inserted a certain level of snark that was simply not necessary to the Patriots’ making their point."

Forget snark, it doesn't take 20,000 words to make a point, unless you're a lawyer making BIG MONEY being paid by the word.  :rolleyes: 

(no offense intended, Mr. DWI Lawyer)  :P

• Moderators

Attorney for Kraft is described as "snarky" to excess in his 20,000 word response to the Wells Report. "Goldberg inserted a certain level of snark that was simply not necessary to the Patriots’ making their point."

Forget snark, it doesn't take 20,000 words to make a point, unless you're a lawyer making BIG MONEY being paid by the word. :rolleyes:

(no offense intended, Mr. DWI Lawyer) :P

None taken,Mr Gokdberg went to Harvard, he represents the Pats and the Red Sox and charges $800 per hour.

I just thought it was interesting that some of his remarks were considered to be snarky.

Edited by dwilawyer

Very good points Travis. I guess I'm looking at it from a strictly real world management point of view. Subordinates are supposed to be held accountable for their actions by their superiors. There are degrees of discipline from a verbal warning up to termination depending on the violation and prior actions. If a coach, who I would class as a supervisor, does not have the ability to discipline and correct his/her player's action while on the company dime, to me that's an untenable situation. What they do away form work, domestic violence, drugs even homicide, that's a Law Enforcement and, to a certain degree, league issue in my opinion. The only way the coaches should be held accountable for their players actions at work is if they are given the ability to correct those actions and have the backing of ownership to enforce the rules. All too often, I don't think that's the case.

I also think pro sports tend to ignore the actions of players prior to being drafted. A lot of thugs get hired because of their talent and abilities. Their bad behavior is often brushed aside due to their athleticism. Insert Aaron Hernandez's name here. By the way, wasn't he a Patriot? This a quote that has stuck with me since I attended his seminar. It was by retired Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, US Army, retired. He said, "Past practice indicates future behavior." If they have done it before, they will most likely do it again.

Subordinates are supposed to be held accountable for their actions by their superiors. There are degrees of discipline from a verbal warning up to termination depending on the violation and prior actions.

As an umpire for a 16+ baseball league, a LOUD smartass in the dugout questioned my eyesight on a call, and I think it was probably one of the kids. 

I didn't get mad or warn anyone, I simply responded by throwing out assistant coaches one at a time until quiet was restored.  B)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Very good points Travis. I guess I'm looking at it from a strictly real world management point of view. Subordinates are supposed to be held accountable for their actions by their superiors. There are degrees of discipline from a verbal warning up to termination depending on the violation and prior actions. If a coach, who I would class as a supervisor, does not have the ability to discipline and correct his/her player's action while on the company dime, to me that's an untenable situation. What they do away form work, domestic violence, drugs even homicide, that's a Law Enforcement and, to a certain degree, league issue in my opinion. The only way the coaches should be held accountable for their players actions at work is if they are given the ability to correct those actions and have the backing of ownership to enforce the rules. All too often, I don't think that's the case.

I also think pro sports tend to ignore the actions of players prior to being drafted. A lot of thugs get hired because of their talent and abilities. Their bad behavior is often brushed aside due to their athleticism. Insert Aaron Hernandez's name here. By the way, wasn't he a Patriot? This a quote that has stuck with me since I attended his seminar. It was by retired Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, US Army, retired. He said, "Past practice indicates future behavior." If they have done it before, they will most likely do it again.

I agree with you that bad behavior gets over looked with athletes as all levels. It pretty much takes being charged with a felony, and convicted for there to be an automatic termination, like Michael Vick. He was quickly cut loose by Falcons.

The NFL completely blew the Ray Rice situation in my opinion.

As to the management/subordinate dynamic, the players have a union. The management-labor relations in the NFL is very similar to other occupations that have collective bargining. NFL players actually have less rights and due process then law enforcement agencies that have collective bargining and/or civil service protection have. At least it is true in the agencies I represent.

Under most collective bargining agreements you cannot disclipline without the employee having full due process and a right to a hearing. It isn't out of fear of upsetting the player, it is pursuant to contract rights.

• 2 months later...

So today the breaking news is that the NFL upheld Brady's 4 game suspension because they just found out that he DESTROYED his phone instead of turning it over to the NFL. Hmmm, I'm Brady and I protest my innocence. I destroy my phone to get rid of incriminating evidence about deflating footballs??? Something not right here.

So today the breaking news is that the NFL upheld Brady's 4 game suspension because they just found out that he DESTROYED his phone instead of turning it over to the NFL. Hmmm, I'm Brady and I protest my innocence. I destroy my phone to get rid of incriminating evidence about deflating footballs??? Something not right here.

As Dave would say:

ya think?