outdoor audio - non"outdoor" speakers?

SuBXeRo

I am going to be doing outdoor audio and not a huge fan of rock speakers or hanging stuff from the house but want to surround my pool and lounge area with ground level speakers.

I was planning on building some block enclosures to keep things weather tight and then finding like some KGS or something on Craig's for cheap and get great sound for cheap.

Thoughts?

Keep them from exposure to the weather and you can use whatever you want to as needed.  I would recommend your idea of weather tight doghouses and taking them out for use.  It would be good if the doghouses doubled as stands to elevate the speakers.

• Like 1

It's been a while ago, but I was going to build some subs using 1/2" plastic and proven designs from folks like Bill Fitzmaurice or LilMike. The main challenge was bonding the plastic. I figured on using the appropriate glue and countersunk stainless screws for durability of the bonds. The mouth was going to be covered with something like chicken wire then synthetic speaker fabric. I even ordered some samples of 1/2" plastic.

I never continued the project, but now that I am going to hang some KPT-100's under the soffit facing my pool, I will need some sub-wooferage. The KPT-100's will be weatherproofed using heavy paint inside and out on the wood, and the driver will be coated with a superhydrophobic. 

Image00008.jpg

Image00005.jpg

The one on the left has been treated. You can see the tinge of blue through the grille:

Image00009.jpg

Based on past experience it seems that the worst part of outdoor speakers is sun damage, not rain damage.  Its easy to keep them out of the rain.  Shielding them from UV rays, not so much.  If you can do that, you should be able to use several different kinds of indoor speakers.  Although, paper cone woofers do make me nervous.  I am contemplating putting some Heresy's on my back porch myself.  

This is all I have for right now. I'll have to take a piano tomorrow of it. I was planning to do 4-6 speakers. I was thinking of getting a decent grill for weather resilience and something with non paper cones but we'll have to see.

post-37112-0-10400000-1431489358_thumb.j

• Moderators
I am contemplating putting some Heresy's on my back porch myself.

You won't be sorry, I use some outside, there up under a roof protected from the weather. They cabinets were in terrible shape so I just put a heavy coat of exterior black paint on them and mounted them, there hidden so the cabinet shape didn't matter, they sound really good outside.

I am going to hang some KPT-100's under the soffit facing my pool

I have 2 under my patio facing the pool.  I've never done any weatherproofing to them and they still look great and sound awesome.  They never get direct rain however but the humidity around here is frequently 85 to 95%.

Here are some Panos of the yard space.  Eventually all of the grass will be paved out on one side for a fire pit and then the other area will be more of a kitchen area.  My plan was to put about 6 speakers out there kind of lining the block wall and 1 at the house so its pretty surround.  My HOA has set forth that "Thou Shalt Not Have Exterior Speakers" which i say politely "Shove Thine Bylaw" and i want to make sure that you can pretty much hear the music wherever without having to crank it beyond reasonable.  I don't really want to bother the neighbors too much, granted, there is a give and take with this all because no one is perfect but, at the end of the day, I am playing music outside and i feel the best solution is to have speakers lower down than up high mounted on the house above the block wall.

post-37112-0-64040000-1431538777_thumb.j

post-37112-0-58400000-1431538783_thumb.j

post-37112-0-46040000-1431538792_thumb.j

post-37112-0-95160000-1431538797_thumb.j

Edited by SuBXeRo

Get some beater Heresy's and spray the cabinets with bed liner material.  They have more bass than you think outdoors and will have way more bass than smaller speakers with smaller drivers.  The sound will carry plenty far enough that you need not place them close by. 

• Like 1

This is my property highlighted in yellow and the speakers are the pink circles.  These are all approximate locations for now and how they will blend in the the landscaping is TBD.  

The first photo is a mock up of what we plan to have paved over and where the fire pit will eventually go.

post-37112-0-44520000-1431540888_thumb.j

post-37112-0-20920000-1431541757_thumb.j

Edited by SuBXeRo

KSB line was the same as the first out door speaker but with out a plug in the port hole.  They are made out of ABS plastic and sound decent.  KSB 1.1's come up for sale for 80.00 a pair all the time in my neck of the woods.  I would consider these as well.

Welcome back SuBXeRo.  Glad to see you got a new place. :emotion-22:

been quiet lately for me, doing interior improvements and working on the wo-man den.  Thanks!

I can't hang them under the eaves, heresys are way too big and the sun is way too powerful out here, plus its above the block wall.