"They're tryn' to wash us away..."

Mallette

• Moderators

Just looked at the rain totals from the NWS, for rain in South Texas. I look at these after we get a lot of rain in our area and compared to my rain gauge they are almost always under by a good bit. My rain gauge is supposedly correct and set up as it should be so I'm guessing somewhat correct ? 

If so it's no wonder there is so much flooding, even if the NWS totals are fine, but if there under it's even worse.

Edited by dtel

I've got a good rain gauge set up on the property. So far this month we (Spring Branch, Tx which is about 30 mi. north of downtown San Antonio) received approximately 15 to 18 inches. I would guesstimate our annual rainfall totals to be somewhere between 18 to 20" range.

Currently cloudy and overcast as I type this. A number of residence that have homes near the river (Guadalupe River) placed flyers at the mailbox stations, asking for people to help them locate their canoes and/or kayaks. Seems there were quite a few people who left their kayaks in close proximity to the river, and didn't expect it to get this crazy.

Sadly though, even with all the rain, a majority of our lakes are well below capacity.

Medina Lake was at 8% capacity about a week ago. UPDATE: Medina lake currently at 36.3%, the fullest it's been in 4 years.

Choke Canyon Lake was at approx. 30% capacity.

Amistade Lake was at approx. 60% capacity

Falcon Lake is at 45% capacity.

As you can see from the attached map, the NE areas are faring well. Central, North, South and West areas are in urgent need of water.

Current Lake Levels 5-26-15.bmp

Edited by Gilbert

I've got a good rain gauge set up on the property. So far this month we (Spring Branch, Tx which is about 30 mi. north of downtown San Antonio) received approximately 15 to 18 inches. I would guesstimate our annual rainfall totals to be somewhere between 18 to 20" range.

And hurricane season starts in 6 days!

Absolutely pouring here this morning.

On a semi unrelated note.  My wife and I decided to sell her car.  I told her that there would be a lot of insurance checks and car starved residences in Houston soon and this might be a good time to list it.  I think we will this weekend.

They say Lake Travis is up over one foot in under two hours, which we need because it is 50 feet down.

:o OK I knew you were special, but I had no idea they named a lake after you, impressive. :ph34r:  :P

Maybe he was named for the lake!  B)

+++

I don't know where Midlothian is, but it looks like a dam is about to break.

Midlothian, Texas: Failure of Padera Lake Dam Is Imminent, Official Says

The police chief said he expects the dam to fail sometime Wednesday morning, KMSP reports. Livestock owners have been asked to move their animals and Highway 287 has been shut down as a precaution.

At approximately 0100 hours on 5/27/15, the Midlothian Police Department was notified by representatives of the US Department of Agriculture, of an impending dam failure on Padera Lake located in approximately the 4000 block of West Highway 287 In Midlothian.

• Moderators

Your probably right, if it had anything to do with the lake at all, just teasing Travis.

Have no idea about the dam, this can't be good, I see why they say it's imminent.

post-9700-0-45040000-1432736133_thumb.jp

and of course I was scheduled to fly thru there this morning. Still sitting in KCRP, missing connection to Atlanta and no other ways around thru DFW, etc.

They are at it again...

attachicon.gifRadar.jpg

Read in the paper that the Blanco River flash flood was more of a tsunami. Flood stage: 17 feet. Storm surge: 57 feet.

Dave

Yea, the Blanco river is just down the road, and the Guadalupe is just 1/4 mile from me.

Tubing in either the Blanco or the Guadalupe is currently an extreme sport.

On a semi unrelated note.  My wife and I decided to sell her car.  I told her that there would be a lot of insurance checks and car starved residences in Houston soon and this might be a good time to list it.  I think we will this weekend.

OTOH……it might not be a good time to buy a used vehicle from that area, a lot of water damaged cars will be up for sale by the conmen. You could probably get top dollar for yours.

Well, lots of rain but it's all stayed in the Gulf today.  NOAA finally took a look outside and revised their forecast.  For the first time in weeks NO rain forecast for next week. 

It's going to take a while to dry out, so that is a good thing.

Dave

Spillway at Texarkana Dam.  That's roughly 50,000 cfm.  The bottom is a good 30 feet.  It's gonna be wet down Sulpher River way.  The other two are from the north side of the Texarkana area, and the south.  That bridge is to the north and about to be closed.  Fulton is about 10 miles east. 

The Red hasn't been this high since the dam at Lake Texhoma was closed in 1957. 

Dave

post-7390-0-82540000-1433113477_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-73180000-1433114062_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-88540000-1433114434_thumb.jp

• Moderators

Was looking at some pictures online yesterday, amazing the area covered.

Don't want this to sound the wrong way but it's better to happen there (or anywhere almost) except California. They need the water but if California got that much rain the damage would have been much worse and many more people would have died. They have serious problems with a couple of inches of rain in one day, could you imagine what this would have caused.