Question: I've Got A Mosquito Problem

Gilbert

• Moderators

Oldtimer,

I don't know what kind of mosquitoes we have here.  It is south Mississippi and we are about a mile or two from the river and even less distance from the swamp.  

We actually have very few mosquitoes which is strange considering we have an acre and half pond in our yard and a koi pond right along the edge of the tiki bar.  We do have extensive landscaping surrounding the tiki bar, but we do not have any mosquito repelling plants.  We do have gravel/stone walkways through the gardens so we don't disturb the bedding areas.  The bedding areas are mulched with pine straw, which is plentiful in our area and can also be an excellent hiding place for mosquitoes.

We don't generally walk in the grass beginning about an hour before dark, because we have found that does tend to stir them up.

We also have a hedgerow of bamboo surrounding our property.  The bamboo hedgerow on the side with the tiki bar is actually only about twenty feet from the bar....I would think that would be a perfect place for mosquitoes to hang out.

We do have large ceiling fans in the roof of the tiki bar, but don't usually need them for repelling mosquitoes.  Other than right at sundown we never have a mosquito problem and even then it's minor.  

Now, about a 1/2 mile down the road from us.....the mosquitoes are horrendous!

Maybe dtel can shed a little more light on this, because even as I am typing this I find it very strange that we actually don't have a huge mosquito problem.

In Panama, when they built the Canal, they sprayed petroleum (oil) all over the standing water... it prevents the spawning of the species.

Malaria, that was killing many workers, dropped to near zero after adopting such methods.

Yeah that works if you want an oil fouled pond or tank.  BT accomplishes the same thing.  I still wouldn't use a lot of BT in a natural setting because of the collateral damage to beneficial insects.

What's BT?

I need some help with this as well. My farm is flat river bottoms and while it doesn't flood, water doesn't go anywhere. There are ditches for drainage that hold water until summertime. While it's easy to say just put some dunks in there, we're literally talking about probably a mile worth of ditches immediately surrounding my house. We will be getting a screened in porch soon. Thought about the mosquitos traps that look like a grill but I'm not sure how much good it will do.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

The only thing I ever found to work is the citronella candles, but you can't leave them burning all the time so I don't know ?  

Ponds are usually not the problem if there is fish or other aquatic bugs, we have 5 ponds here with fish and 10 other ponds without fish but they have different water bugs and frogs in them.

If you find something that really works your going to be a rich man just from sales in South Louisiana alone.

Wish I could help.

commercial..............

Edited by dtel

Christy do you not have those Asian tiger mosquitos where you live?  They are active 24/7.

Those are the big striped ones correct?  They'd just about carry us away at the fields that my son played soccer on.

Yeppers.  All day and night long.

Third gereration goldprospecting/mining, im an expert in all things repelant, because over my 40+ years, iv tried everything from 100% Deet to Old school Kerosen.

The prefered and by far best smelling is Natural oil based also, trust me this is THE CHIT.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Lemon-Eucalyptus-Pump/16561283

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

Get a high powered fan and point it in that area where they cant fly or hover there.
So, the ceiling fan won't move enough air if it's blowing up against the ceiling? The air should move out and hit the corner and move down..

Bruce

I thought the same thing Bruce, but the ceiling fan isn't powerful enough to effectively cover the entire porch. I do have an industrial fan with a  3 ft. dia. effective blade width, but I can already hear the wife complaining about my ugly fan on her back porch.

Shotgun!

ROTF, LMAO..... thanks, I needed that.  My little 28 ga. should do the trick nicely, but I don't have enough ammo, only 3 cases. They're that bad.

I was liking the mosquito biscuit thing, until Christi chimed in about them also killing the good bugs, and we need out honey bees for the garden. The honey bees are constantly buzzing the trough. FWIW, I heard a couple of drops of dawn soap works effectively to kill larva, but the perch and minnows are more than up to the task. Those pop belley minnows have a voracious appetite, mosquito larva doesn't stand a chance when they're around.

Edited by Gilbert

• Moderators

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't get it.  If the fan gets rid of the mosquitoes and you get to use your porch, who really cares about the aesthetics!

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but it really does matter to me what dtel wants and likes...and vice versa.  Just like with our MWM/402s.  I really wanted them...I loved the sound.  He wasn't sure about the "aesthetics" and did every thing he possibly could to talk me out of them.  I wasn't having it....I loved the way they sounded.  

I don't care that we have MWM/402s for two channel and Forte and Forte IIs on top of the MWM/402s and three of them mounted on the beam behind the ceiling.  I love the way they sound and the way the fill the room even at the lowest possible volume.  Hardly ANY ONE even notices them.

Cornwall IIIs in our bedroom, heck yes....nothing better.

Again, my apologies for the rant....I'm just so over all the WAF crap.

• Like 1

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't get it.  If the fan gets rid of the mosquitoes and you get to use your porch, who really cares about the aesthetics!

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but it really does matter to me what dtel wants and likes...and vice versa.  Just like with our MWM/402s.  I really wanted them...I loved the sound.  He wasn't sure about the "aesthetics" and did every thing he possibly could to talk me out of them.  I wasn't having it....I loved the way they sounded.  

I don't care that we have MWM/402s for two channel and Forte and Forte IIs on top of the MWM/402s and three of them mounted on the beam behind the ceiling.  I love the way they sound and the way the fill the room even at the lowest possible volume.  Hardly ANY ONE even notices them.

Cornwall IIIs in our bedroom, heck yes....nothing better.

Again, my apologies for the rant....I'm just so over all the WAF crap.

My wife sounds the same, touch my Khorns and die.

She has her system, and the neighbors and i have mine.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Hey, did Silversport say you could use his avatar?  heh... just kidding... stirring the pot.  I always kind of liked that one!

Ha! I didn't ask permission! In fact, there's another member that uses this avatar too. I've always loved it, just borrowed it for awhile!!!

Christy

• Like 1

Third gereration goldprospecting/mining, im an expert in all things repelant, because over my 40+ years, iv tried everything from 100% Deet to Old school Kerosen.

The prefered and by far best smelling is Natural oil based also, trust me this is THE CHIT.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Lemon-Eucalyptus-Pump/16561283

Bought 2 bottles, one for my truck and one for the boat, thanks.

• Like 1

Landed on a vid on youtube the other day. Still rusty here in regards to posting a link.  Type in "how to make a mosquito trap with yeast and brown sugar." Don't know how effective it will be, but it is an easy experiment to try.