Anybody Riding that Casey Jones Train?

thebes

Yes Gary MD sent me a glowing report on last night. Said it was the most fun concert he's been to ever, and given the amount of concerts this man has attended, that's saying something.

Yes Gary MD sent me a glowing report on last night. Said it was the most fun concert he's been to ever, and given the amount of concerts this man has attended, that's saying something.

I believe it. I had the show pumping through the Cornwall theater and the energy was palpable. That show far exceeded my expectations.....just chock full of key GD material and really well played - especially once they got about half way through the first set. The PPV broadcast is extremely well produced - 5.1 audio and really well shot....it translates very well.

It's hard to watch and not wish you were there.

It was amazing, both in the theatre, and on PPV.  The Rhythm Devils let it all go last night-drumming beyond "The Edge of Magic" to actual magic. Everyone was up to what must have been an incredible  and fitting end to the era of "The  Dead" as a live band.  Deadheads are still everywhere and will be for many years to come.  Not music for everyone, but for those of us fortunate enough to enjoy it-these last three concerts met and exceeded expectations.  Fare Thee Well indeed!

Still recovering......  I was there with my son, his lovely wife and a couple of their friends.  This was my Father's Day gift - tickets to all 3 shows and an apartment overlooking the water just about a mile from the stadium.

I was feeling no pain pretty much all weekend (it's a good thing I'm not looking for a job right now if you know what I mean).  I remember turning to the group during the first set on Friday and saying "I feel sorry for anyone who isn't me right now!"  That got a good laugh as I'm sure they all felt the same way.  I think we broke the record for high fives in one weekend....many with perfect strangers.  My daughter-in-law who goes to shows mostly to humor my son, turned to us at one point and said "I get it now."

As I said before, I've been to many Dead shows but I don't recall ever feeling the energy from the band or the crowd as I did this weekend (at least not since the late 70s).  It seemed as though they decided each song would be played better than it had ever been played before since they knew they would never have the chance to do it together again.  Jams were extended beyond what I'd ever seen/heard.  Bobby sang like he was 25 years younger and Trey was right on.  Both Trey and Bruce really let loose compared to what I saw at Santa Clara.  It really didn't matter what they played.  Everything was terrific.  I watched some of the highlights on the computer this week and understand why my brother watching from home didn't have quite the same enthusiasm for the performance as we did.  You really had to be there.

BTW - Mark1101 was there for the first 2 shows and really enjoyed them.  He wrote "All in all a great experience. The Dead went out on a high note and with class."  I couldn't have said it better.

Is that you Gary? 

Man, I almost didn't recognize your post, some how your font looks older, or maybe it's just been a long time. You're a smarter man than I, that's for sure. Please give me a shout if you come back down my way.

Cheers :emotion-46:  :emotion-46: :emotion-46: and  :emotion-41: one too many martini's. 

Edited by Gilbert

While never a "deadhead" I have heard more than my share of Dead bootlegs, both good & bad. IMO, the vast majority of their better material was from when "Pigpen" was in the band. The band officially ended with the death of Jerry Garcia. I am glad they did a farewell set of shows for their fans, among the most loyal in music, and gave them a proper sendoff.

I do wish however they had selected their friend and fellow San Francisco guitarist Henry Kaiser to play the role of Jerry in these shows. Now that would have blown the minds of the deadheads and have been really interesting. Check out Mr. Kaiser's covers of the Dead on his Eternity Blue record & "Dark Star" on the album Heart's Desire.

For you Dead archivists, Henry Kaiser produced the record "The Music Never Stopped. Roots of the Grateful Dead". I am sure some of you have it, an excellent overview of the source material for many songs the Dead covered.

Edited by Stephen Schaffer

Spent the last 20 years building my Klipsch sound systems specifically to listen to the Dead.....to have it sound like their live setups..  Was not going to miss the Chicago shows.  That was a lot of Dead heads in one place.