Anybody Riding that Casey Jones Train?

thebes

I know one deadhead member has trucked off to Chi-town for the last ride of the Grateful Dead.  If we are lucky we will get a report.

In case you haven't heard, it's the last concerts this weekend in Chicago for The Grateful Dead with Bruce Hornsby filling in for Jerry Garcia. Three sets over three days at Soldiers Field.

I hope some of our local Windy City members wi;l be in attendance.

Me? I'll just make do with over 20 Dead/Garcia albums, I just happen to have hanging around.

post-12696-0-65720000-1435793107_thumb.j

Edited by thebes
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

Bruce Hornsby is playing but I wouldn't necessarily say he is filling in for Jerry Garcia, Jerry played guitar ;) 

On the other hand Trey Anastasio from Phish is playing guitar, and IMHO is doing a fantastic job!

I am curious to know if the forum member on his way to Chi-town is Dave (audiblenectar)?

I did watch the webcast for Saturday's show..........it was nice :)

I used to hear several bands free of charge in Golden Gate park in SF, as well as in Provo Park in Berkeley.  They were almost all good, and better sounding in the open air, but fairly close, than inside, where you had to pay.  The Dead may have been one of them, because they lived in the Haight, but I don't really know for sure.  No Rock band I've ever heard sounded as good in a recording as the bands did outside.

Edited by garyrc

Duie to a long personal story I won't get into here (I covered that extensively in the old BS forum) I am not making the trip. At the time the shows were being announced, I didn't think I could make it, so I didn't persue tickets and hotel, which sold out in a New York Minute. Regretting that a bit now, as I found out later I could have made it work - except that tix on the secondary market were very expensive, as were any lodging arrangements.

I saw the Grateful Dead extensively from 1985-1995......ninety shows in ten years. You might say that I liked them a little bit :lol: I see them as the most American band in rock history, covering every genre of music we consider American, as well as exemplifying the concept of freedom of expression better than anyone else. I could live on an island just fine, so long as they played it as part of the regular tour schedule.

Many of those shows were at Deer Creek Music Center, now known as "Klipsch". Those housing developments surrounding Deer Creek were places we camped for show runs in those days. Yes, we partied our ahhhhhhssses off in your now current backyard :biggrin: .

So I will "make do" with the Pay-Per-View broadcast through our local cable company on the all-Cornwall home theater, sans the customary "consumables", since that would be a violation of my, uhhhhhh......"current arrangements" :emotion-41: Having watched the prior weekend's shows in Santa Clara, however, I must say that it's been pretty good so far - especially the first 75 minutes of the second set on Saturday. If they can top that in Chicago, it's going to be a very good weekend.

BTW - live Grateful Dead sounds really good through Cornwalls :emotion-21:

Sirius/XM is also broadcasting the shows.

I wasn't a fan until about 6 years ago. Not the biggest fan of some of the later years as the sound and some of the songs didn't resonate... But those shows thru the late 70s and early 80s are pretty good.