Show us some pics of your tube gear

Wardsweb

Here are my Trancendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp and Son Of Beast OTL Stereo amp. These are both kits I built...To my surprise LOL, nothing smoked when I turned them on...How do they sound??? Dead Quiet with plenty of Slam and Punch.

Steve, can you do a more detailed thread describing your experiences in using OTL with the RF-7s, and talk about the amp a bit (especially if you have tried other types of amps with the RF-7s)?

Maynard

Guest thesloth

My linestage is from one of his designs. Dead quite and simply awesome.

You mean one of Mark's designs? ;)

• Like 1

My Welborne Labs Moondogs with 2A3 tubes, Caddock resistors and Sonicap teflon caps.

Moondog amp.jpg

Moondog inside.jpg

Edited by Fjd

Not mine, but I thought that some may be interested in Thebes' Great Pumpkin-Fier amp creation.  I'm sure there is nothing else like it at Halloween. B)

Got to thinking that amps pretty much look the same so decided to do my own. It's the first in my seasonal series. I call it the Great Pumpkin-Fier. What do yo think?

Pumkin-Fier.JPG

Or the famous Waffle-Fier and Tea Kettle-Fier.

Not tuned up enough for production quite yet, but certainly you can expect audiophile pricing. Plenty of room for monster transformers inside, but I'm worried about the long-term longevity of the outer casing. I'm thinking it will easily go out at 100 watts per channel and dig really low.

Also in the development stage is my retro line including the Waffle-Fier but it runs really hot about breafast time.

The little item at the left of the picture will be the next one up. I calll it Tea Kettle-Fier.

wafflefier.JPG

Edited by Fjd

Here are my Trancendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp and Son Of Beast OTL Stereo amp. These are both kits I built...To my surprise LOL, nothing smoked when I turned them on...How do they sound??? Dead Quiet with plenty of Slam and Punch.

Steve, can you do a more detailed thread describing your experiences in using OTL with the RF-7s, and talk about the amp a bit (especially if you have tried other types of amps with the RF-7s)?

Maynard,

I was going through a rough time in my life back in 2013, Getting over a divorce...I needed a project to take my mind off the crap.

I cruised Transcendent Sounds web site for well over 2 years before this. In this time frame I learned to trust the folks there and what they had to say about music reproduction. At the time I had an Adcom GFA55A Power amp a crappy preamp a crappy CD player and a pair of Thiel speakers. So I sprung for the GG Preamp and The SOB. I completed the GG first, hooked it up to the Crappy CD player and Adcom and Thiel speakers....Wow I was already completely impressed...So I continued my quest and completed the SOB...I took the Adcom out of the picture and inserted the SOB....What??? where the hells the loud???? Guess what??? Speaker purchase LOL. I always wanted Klipsch, so I went with the RF7ii. Those babies arrived and the Thiels were out. 15 watts per channel from the SOB lit those RF7ii's up, I mean Flipping Freaking Wow....I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so I had to take the SOB back out and put the Adcom back in. Guess what??? The Son Of Beast OTL ate that Adcom up down and all around on those RF7ii speakers. With the SOB back in, my quest took me to a Mac Mini and a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus. Was I in heaven???? Nope, the Cambridge DAC Magic Plus had to go, so here comes the Wyered4Sound DAC. Now I'm in heaven for at least 2 years till One of the JJ EL509 tubes in the SOB takes a dive, so while I'm waiting on new tubes I get a Crown XLS 1500 amp, Wow am I disappointed with the sound of this thing, I purchased it for a future Bucket Sub project just to power the subs, but for a replacement to the SOB OTL no flipping way, The OTL kicks its ***. This is my story, I cannot compare mine to anybody else's. I just know my current setup sounds damn good.

My Welborne Labs Terraplane 300b DRD amplifiers

Are your WE 300B NOS or reissue?

Those are 1999 vintage reissue.  I think they were like $800 a pair new and I'm still amazed on how they keep climbing in price. 

• Like 1

Maggotbox

post-4542-0-94940000-1438313837_thumb.jp

DIY RH84 amplifier

post-4542-0-17380000-1438313961_thumb.jp

DIY 2A3 stereo SET amplifier

post-4542-0-63540000-1438314082_thumb.jp

Altec 345A amplifier. EL34 push-pull power amplifier. I rebuilt the amplifier 4-5 years ago, and has weird issues with a lack of bass that is over my head.

If I can recollect the problems, I could post them on the "test bench" thread.

post-4542-0-60100000-1438314162_thumb.jp

Fun with breadboard amp design...6SL7 SRPP 71A circuit, with DC heating for the filaments.

I had a pair of LaScalas, and this circuit had the best sound to my deaf ears...

post-4542-0-31500000-1438314487_thumb.jp

Edited by mike stehr
  • Like 1

My avatar shows one of my Joule Electra 100 watt OTL monoblocs.

For those of us with "old eyes" the avatar is difficult to make out any detail.  Even my reading glasses are not much help.  Now I'm starting to understand why my grandfather would carry around one of those big magnifying glasses on a stick. :blush:

Sometimes I find that a little bit of glass and sand mix can be fun.  In this little diyaudioprojects amp, the 12AU7 tube provides the voltage gain and the IRF510 Mosfet provides the current gain. The amp uses a LM317 adjustable linear voltage regulator as a constant current source (CCS) to move the Mosfet into the linear region and bias the amp into Class A operation. The headphone amp currently has a 12v re-chargeable battery to operate.

12AU7 tube - IRF 510 Mosfet headphone amp 1.jpg

12AU7 tube - IRF 510 Mosfet headphone amp 2.jpg