Show us some pics of your tube gear

Wardsweb

SNIP:

Do you actually have the Yamamoto A-08S or the Yamamoto A-08, since it appears you have not uploaded actual pictures of your own Yamamoto amp since the amp in the picture is an A-08S? 

It is indeed the later A-08S which uses the both the EML Solid Plate 45's and the EML Limited Edition Globe 45's and the EML 80 Rectifier tube shown above. The Globe 45's have been discontinued by EML (they were too fragile to ship safely, even in the giant padded box EML shipped them in). In any case, the Solid Plates version tubes actually sound better than the Globes in my Yamamoto Amp.

Cool!

I have the EML mesh plate 45 and the EML Globe 45 (rather than risk shipping I picked up in person at tubesusa in NY when I worked on a job close to that area); however, I have not heard the EML solid plate 45.  I have not done any comparisons between mesh and globe since I run them in different amps. Here is a picture of my mesh plates in my Electra-Fidelity silver 45 amp, but I can only find pictures of the underside of my Yamamoto A-08S and can't seem to find my pictures of the top side of the amp with the globes.

EML 45 tube scale with 12 oz coke can.jpg

EML 45 mesh plate tube.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the underside of my Yamamoto A-08S amplifier that was a kit build.  I've wanted to rewire it, but the guy I bought it from did not have the instructions or schematic and voltages and I have not been able to track any of this down.  I suppose at some point I will take voltage measurements and just try to draw it out then rewire.

Yamamoto A-08S inside.jpg

Yamamoto underside.jpg

Very nice!  :emotion-21:

I've not heard the EML mesh plates but I bet they sound great.  :emotion-29:

I purchased the solid plate 45's without actually hearing them. When I found they beat the sound (to my ears) all of the NOS 45's and 2A3's I owned, I was impressed enough to save up for the Limited Edition 45 Globes. JAC shipped them to Canada in a huge box with both tubes suspended like they were the world's last fertile Dodo bird eggs. They arrived in perfect shape, as Canada Customs didn't 'inspect them'. (I had a camera come by mail once which was inspected by CC, which based on the condition of the inner box really mean't that some clumsy oaf ripped it open or played soccer with it as the ball for the entire week they kept it).  :(

I purchased EML's 80 Rectifier to replace the NOS 80 Globe I was using (from 1920's production) and I've been very happy with this tube as well.

Nice amp with the cookie jar triodes...real nice...

My Raspberry Pi2 with HiFiBerry DAC+ as a source, fed into a Goldpoint 50K stepped attenuator it's own case, connected to my DHT stereo 2A3 amplifier, running my Cornwalls with battery biased B2 networks.

Good sounds...

post-4542-0-35620000-1445736246_thumb.jp

post-4542-0-88700000-1445736665_thumb.jp

Very nice!! :emotion-21:

Are these from the 'Wright' amp builder who lived in Washington State before passing away 5 or so years ago?

Those are from George Wright (Wright Sound Company).  I did hear he passed away a few years ago but can't remember where he lived.

Yes, that is the same George Wright.  Sometimes I have some luck pulling amplifier information from the wayback machine.  This was the message from the Wright Sound home page when he passed away:

Special announcement:

Dear Wright Sound Customers and Friends,

It is with great sadness that we report that George Wright went home to be with the Lord on August 21, 2009. He is celebrating with those who have gone on before him and we will see him again one day.

George's passing means the end of Wright Sound company. He was the brillance behind the equipment. Without him, there is no company. Those of you who knew George know that he had a passion for tube equipment and he truly was gifted in electronics. He will be sorely missed for his humor and his incredible knowledge about all things tube related.

To all of our customers over the years, George would like to say thanks. It was a heck of a ride and he enjoyed sharing his passion for music with you.

Take care, live life to the fullest, and be blessed.

Brenda Wright

George Wright (son)

There are some Units that George had built for sale before he went into the hospital. They have all been checked out and are ready for sale. Check out out close out page to see what is available.

I enjoyed my Wright Sound gear, a WLA12 and WPA3.5s - still miss them. George repaired the preamp not tool long before he passed. He wrote me a nice letter that came back with the amp. A real class act.

Edited by Blvdre

• 2 months later...

It seems that there are lots of guys buying (or building Maynard's designs) tube amps; therefore, I thought I would bump this thread with my tube headphone amp to see if we have anyone else that wants to post photos of their respective tube amplifier builds or tube amplifier acquisitions. B)

My headphone amplifier with output transformers is one that Dennis Had sells on eBay periodically.  Here are excerpts of portions of the overview that was provided on the eBay ad.

Stereo integrated vacuum tube headphone amplifier featuring dual triode 6SN7 (6BL7, 6BX7) tubes.  The entire signal path is direct coupled.  There are no coupling caps in the signal path.  The output signal to the cans is directly derived from the special custom wound air-gaped output transformers.  No resistors, zobel networks or switches in the signal path.  I have listed a few of the highlights below:

* Dual Triode 6SN7 tubes in class A single-ended zero feedback ..  6BL7 or 6BX7 tubes maybe used as well 
* Dual Pi-Network, Dual Filter Choke Power Supply 
* Vacuum Tube Rectification featuring the Tube Store 274B rectifier tube
* Alps "Blue Velvet" volume control
* Selectable two line inputs with a center position MUTE position
* Dual Headphone Outputs 
* Precision non-inductive metal film resistors
* Gold Plated RCA input jacks
* EE Teflon silver stranded 19 strand hook up wiring
* Custom Designed Air-Gap high impedance output transformers 
* 150% Duty Cycle CCS Power Transformer with internal copper strap 
* 100/120/240 VAC 50/60 Hz power transformers for any country of operation
* .080 Aluminum chassis and bottom plate 
*  Frequency response 12 Hz to 33 Khz + - 0 dB  
* Power Output at 32 ohms 1.125 watts

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp 05.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  04.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  03.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  02.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  01.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my Mac vinyl setup. Thinking about adding another 275. We'll see... Speakers aren't hooked up to the 275 at the moment, obviously. Replacement cables are almost ready, just waiting on some solder supplies in the mail.

post-46146-0-87120000-1455007934_thumb.j

post-46146-0-35280000-1455007946_thumb.j

post-46146-0-71280000-1455007955_thumb.j

post-46146-0-32080000-1455007966_thumb.j

post-46146-0-79000000-1455007975_thumb.j

Edited by gimes
  • Like 1