best Klipsch speaker for speech?

Paducah Home Theater

For those of you who have heard several Klipsch speakers for extended periods of time, which ones do you think make male voices sound like they are in the same room and totally accurate?  No boominess, no unnatural metallic sounds, no exaggerated S sounds, no hint of ear fatigue just for watching a TV show, no muddy midrange which makes you turn up the volume for dialogue intelligibility, etc.  

THX consumer / heritage / pro cinema / reference / palladium / in-walls

pick yer poison.   :ph34r2:  :wacko2:

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Hey guess what I own cornwalls and the palladium and cinema eat them alive in clarity. :)

So depending on horn and driver combo the palladiums are easily a step up from cornwalls. Cornscala closer I'm sure.

Edited by Scrappydue

Sorry, but I must absolutely disagree with scrappy here...

Voice is in the mid range and Klipsch hasn't overcome physics with the advent of Paladiums.

Since Voicing is in the mid range, the bigger the better, I find the K-69 / K-402 on Jubilee to be very non ear fatiguing and much cleaner than smaller horns like the Paladium lineup.

As far as heritage, it has been evidenced by many here that the new K-400 with 2 inch driver and throat on the new K-Horns clearly bests Paladiums and I am sure Youthman will agree that the old K-400 / K-55 setup clearly out voices the smaller Reference Horns.

All BS and beliefs set aside, myself and others here like Coytee for instance or Elden would tell you that size DOES matter. You nor Klipsch can overcome Physics period, and that is my opinion after hearing most ever big Klipsch Speaker out there.

Roger

• Like 1

Voice is in the mid range and Klipsch hasn't overcome physics with the advent of Paladiums.

Since Voicing is in the mid range, the bigger the better, I find the K-69 / K-402 on Jubilee to be very non ear fatiguing and much cleaner than smaller horns like the Paladium lineup.

As far as heritage, it has been evidenced by many here that the new K-400 with 2 inch driver and throat on the new K-Horns clearly bests Paladiums and I am sure Youthman will agree that the old K-400 / K-55 setup clearly out voices the smaller Reference Horns.

All BS and beliefs set aside, myself and others here like Coytee for instance or Elden would tell you that size DOES matter. You nor Klipsch can overcome Physics period, and that is my opinion after hearing most ever big Klipsch Speaker out there.

Roger

i don't doubt the new 400 with 2" horns are sweet as a 2" is what the 510 horn is. And that horn is sweet.

I used to be on the palladium hating side of the fence with you UNTIL I owned them. I'm one that does a lot of hating on things I have never owned in my home. I hope one day Klipsch yanks the p-39's out of that demo room. Cause that room has tainted so many people on what the palladiums are capable of it seems like.

Rodger you and me are always in agreement that bigger is better. I mean I own cinema gear same as you. But my palladiums excite me every bit as much as my cinemas do in the room they are in. I even took them to a friends house to hear them in a very treated room with a powerhouse 550 w/ per channel amp and they sounded even better in there.

So being that I do own both I have no problem saying the Klípsch P-27c is a FANTASTIC center channel.

Is that saying the p-39 is better than the k-horns of rf-7ii in Klipschs demo room? Nope. No way. I've heard about 20 people say they enjoyed the rf-7ii more than the palladiums in that room. To me something isn't right there. Setup, gear, something! Palladiums should best the rf-7ii. Ten times better? Doubtful.

I've said before best thing palladium line has going for it is the center. The palladium center is THE best center Klipsch makes for home use. Unless we are talking three la scalas. But I'm talking actual center channel. It smokes the rc-64 hands down! Night and day better.

What do you think about Heresy?

The best speakers for speech I have ever heard were not Klipsch by a very long shot. The first was around the late 60's and early 70's at the Philadelphia airport public address system. The second was the Thule BMEWS missile detection defense site with an RCA public address system. The problem with Klipsch Heritage speakers are with the lower male/female voices honking in the box (resonance) at middle to loud levels with the treble/bass controls in the flat position. The Cornwall being better performing than the K-horn. Once you start listening for it it will drive you nuts. It can be corrected by reducing the 200 to 400 HZ down about 6 db but it will make it sound distant and require more power. That's one reason why I am interested in those big *** 402's although they might only correct some of it. 

JJK

• Like 1

Roger

rodger I read this again and noticed you said it was evident that the new k400 bested palladiums. Are the khorns in the showroom at Klipsch the newest version? I only know of one guy on here who has the newest k400 and palladiums in the same room and he sold his la scala ii's to keep the palladiums as he felt they offered similar performance In a smaller footprint.

Did Klipsch come out with a "K-400" newer than the K-401, and a driver newer than the K-55X for K-horns?  Did I miss it?

Metropolis:  Klipschorns are very natural for male voice.  Belles aren't bad.  I wonder if Heresy is too small.  IMHO, EQ of somekind helps, if the source isn't good.  Garbage in, garbage out, untill you EQ it, then maybe.  One problem with male voices is there is something called proximity effect that happens if the male speaker is within a few inches of the microphone.  It makes the bass end of the voice predominate.  It sounds O.K. if they are using a good ribbon mic, and are speaking across it, rather than into it; if not ---- BOOM!

• Like 1

What do you think about Heresy?

A Heresey is not a LaScala, That being said, they still trump any Reference speaker in my opinion on clarity / articulation in the mid range. WE had plenty of Herisies at the last Hope gathering, and it is real easy to forget just how good they do sound!

Roger

No, they are the 60th anniversary models.

As far as your statement about one guys thoughts, there are a lot more guys that heard and liked those Klipschorns over Paladiums than the other way around, that is fact. It is also fact that it was not even close, couldn't possibly be explained away by just room acoustics.

A one guys opinion scenario holds absolutely no weight with me what so ever as there are always exceptions to everything.

As evidence I would offer up millions of Bose owners who think Bose is the best, another perfect example is millions of guys who prefer sex with another man. I put no belief or faith in their difference of opinion from the masses either as Homosexuals are < 4% of the population. I think the majority conclusion on Paladium is spot on from my own personal experience, not someone else's opinion and will not be swayed without direct evidence in my personal experience to the contrary... Certainly not someone else's opinion, even if they do own both. It has been proven in Audio time and again that people don't always like a piece of equipment's sound because of the pieces fidelity to the source, tubes are a perfect example of this!

Roger

Roger

rodger I read this again and noticed you said it was evident that the new k400 bested palladiums. Are the khorns in the showroom at Klipsch the newest version? I only know of one guy on here who has the newest k400 and palladiums in the same room and he sold his la scala ii's to keep the palladiums as he felt they offered similar performance In a smaller footprint.

Did Klipsch come out with a "K-400" newer than the K-401, and a driver newer than the K-55X for K-horns?  Did I miss it?

Metropolis:  Klipschorns are very natural for male voice.  Belles aren't bad.  I wonder if Heresy is too small.  IMHO, EQ of somekind helps, if the source isn't good.  Garbage in, garbage out, untill you EQ it, then maybe.  One problem with male voices is there is something called proximity effect that happens if the male speaker is within a few inches of the microphone.  It makes the bass end of the voice predominate.  It sounds O.K. if they are using a good ribbon mic, and are speaking across it, rather than into it; if not ---- BOOM!

A K-400 horn with a 2 inch throat has existed for decades in the TSCM Pro Klipschorn version.

When we got together at Hope this last year, a brand new set of LaScala IIs that were just finished for a customer, listed that they had a K-400 horn with a 2 inch driver and I would assume the same would be true of new Klipschorns but I do not know when this change might have taken place. A 2 inch driver is obviously a better and more viable option and driver selection is good.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Anyone test an old Klipschorn with the K-401 horn against the newer with a K-400 horn?  And how come the newer horn is a 400, and the older is a 401….or am I missing something here? (to me, usually the higher # is the newer model).

I had K-400s on my 1982 Khorns -- they were metal horns.  I replaced them with the newer K401 fiberglass-like horns (Klipsch calls them something else, not fiberglass).  They have external ribs on them to prevent resonance.  Klipsch told me they had "slightly lower distortion" than the older, metal K-400s.  The transition occured in 1987.  I wasn't able to A-B them from the same position in the room because I can't juggle K-horns.  They sounded about the same to me.

My question was (is) is there a Klipsch mid horn newer than the K-401, meant to be used in new K-horns, that will fit in a traditionsl K-horn top hat, and is the K55X a 2" driver?  (I didn't measure mine).

Edited by garyrc