best Klipsch speaker for speech?

Paducah Home Theater

Sorry, but I must absolutely disagree with scrappy here...

Voice is in the mid range and Klipsch hasn't overcome physics with the advent of Paladiums.

Since Voicing is in the mid range, the bigger the better, I find the K-69 / K-402 on Jubilee to be very non ear fatiguing and much cleaner than smaller horns like the Paladium lineup.

As far as heritage, it has been evidenced by many here that the new K-400 with 2 inch driver and throat on the new K-Horns clearly bests Paladiums and I am sure Youthman will agree that the old K-400 / K-55 setup clearly out voices the smaller Reference Horns.

All BS and beliefs set aside, myself and others here like Coytee for instance or Elden would tell you that size DOES matter. You nor Klipsch can overcome Physics period, and that is my opinion after hearing most ever big Klipsch Speaker out there.

Roger

i don't doubt the new 400 with 2" horns are sweet as a 2" is what the 510 horn is. And that horn is sweet.

I used to be on the palladium hating side of the fence with you UNTIL I owned them. I'm one that does a lot of hating on things I have never owned in my home. I hope one day Klipsch yanks the p-39's out of that demo room. Cause that room has tainted so many people on what the palladiums are capable of it seems like.

Rodger you and me are always in agreement that bigger is better. I mean I own cinema gear same as you. But my palladiums excite me every bit as much as my cinemas do in the room they are in. I even took them to a friends house to hear them in a very treated room with a powerhouse 550 w/ per channel amp and they sounded even better in there.

So being that I do own both I have no problem saying the Klípsch P-27c is a FANTASTIC center channel.

Is that saying the p-39 is better than the k-horns of rf-7ii in Klipschs demo room? Nope. No way. I've heard about 20 people say they enjoyed the rf-7ii more than the palladiums in that room. To me something isn't right there. Setup, gear, something! Palladiums should best the rf-7ii. Ten times better? Doubtful.

I've said before best thing palladium line has going for it is the center. The palladium center is THE best center Klipsch makes for home use. Unless we are talking three la scalas. But I'm talking actual center channel. It smokes the rc-64 hands down! Night and day better.

I'm getting old now, but my hearing is still pretty good ;)! I'd have to say that the best center channel that I have ever owned is my Cornwall vertical (with the ALK crossover).  Dialog is extremely clear. 

I have heard a decent amount of Klipsch speakers and have owned a fair amount of their speakers and it would be hard to say one particular speaker is better if the speaker is an appropiate match for the room size, and distance to the MLP.  I thought my VC 25 Icon center was excellent.   The counter argument is that most Klipsch speakers don't have clear dialogue, which is not true.  How can the Heritage line, Reference line and other speakers have so many fans if you could not make out what is being said in the music or HT?

How can the Heritage line, Reference line and other speakers have so many fans if you could not make out what is being said in the music or HT?

You can make out what is being said on most any speaker. Whether or not the subtle intracadies are a perfect reproduction of what occurs in someones natural voice is a different story. Speech is incredibly complicated, likely the hardest thing to reproduce in my opinion due to how many frequencies are involved. Everybody debates on which speaker sounds best for horn instruments, kick drums, and everything else, so why isn't speech fair game, especially since it is even harder to reproduce?

I don't believe music is a fair representation of speech. I have yet to hear a singer that sounded in the least bit questionable on any speaker. I can tell the frequency response may be off a little bit but I have yet to feel like a speaker may exaggerate or cover up a certain aspect of a singer's voice. Speech on movies is a different story though, lots of speakers sound totally different, even ones within the same line that are supposed to be voiced the same.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Hands down, the RC-42 ii is the best sounding speaker for speech.

Absolutely great centre for the right size room. Used one for a couple years and recently replaced it with an RC 62II I bought off a guy in Winnipeg on EBay. The 42 worked super fine with my RB61 IIs , the 62 is even nicer.

Picked it up in anticipation of my move at the end of this month to a new condo with a larger living room.

Edited by YK Thom

• 2 weeks later...

What's aggravating is that it seems that many recordings of male voices is really bad in the first place.  Good example is Danny Pino on Law and Order SVU.  Watched episode 328 last night, "Rapist Anonymous".  His voice was horrendous.  It sounds like you are talking through a metal cylinder, where upper midbass might have an echo, bass is bloated, and midrange is muddy and low volume.  Overall it is annoying, unrealistic, and slightly unintelligible.  The thing is though, I watched it on a bedroom TV and it did this, the same as watching an episode on my theater.  I notice stuff like this all the time and apparently it may have nothing to do with the speakers.  Are male voices somehow hard to record or something?  

The male voice and its fundamental frequency is lower than what most think and it was lower than what I realized until I looked it up.  85hz- 155hz.  Looking at this makes a horn loaded bass cab even more important, does it not?  Anyway, after hearing a set of Jub's a few weeks back, everything else sucks to my ears now.