Lets Talk Projectors

fuzzydog

I currently have an Elite fixed screen that I paid $560 for.  I have since purchased enough Seymour fabric to make a 150" screen.  Can't wait until I'm able to install it!

When you get the new screen up it will be time to rewatch all your movies. :)

I purchased my 8000u from Projector People and also one for our church.  Great company.  I purchased my first Panny from Visual Apex.  Also great company.

Another "good company" vote for Visual Apex. I bought a projector and screen from them for Christmas. UPS managed to loose the screen and VA did a nice job of getting me a replacement ASAP. Very happy with my under$1000 Epson 8350. An older model, no 3D, but 1080P, very solidly built, and a very good picture for the price range.

I don't know if this matters or not, but it seems like projectors are more of a core business line for Epson than they are for Panasonic.  

Is availability of replacement bulbs a legitimate concern if Panasonic decides to abandon the projector market like they did plasma TV's?

After doing much research into wide scope projection, I found Panasonic PT-AE 8000U to be the most feasible option for my budget. I am using an Elite Lunette 115"  2.35:1 curved screen. I bought both from B&H Photo Video. Just a week (holiday season) after I bought the projector, B&H dropped the price by $400 for a few days. A quick 2 min phone call and they refunded me this amount. On top of that Panasonic offered me $100 rebate. I have bought all my A/V Entertainment, Photography and computer hardware from B&H Photo Video and have never been disappointed,

• Like 1

Just a $0.02 on it, I have a Sony VPL-HW55ES and I am very happy with it.  It does not have lens memory but I have it projecting on a 150" "screen" and I love the picture quality.  I debated before purchasing about getting a good deal on a new 4k, but with the lack of content, first gen thing, opted for this and I am very pleased. 

It has a manual shift for size and it's relatively convenient (my wife doesn't like much @ 150" and wants the picture size reduced when watching tv - it's easy to change).  The color, blacks and contrast are wonderful.

I was looking all over at screens and a friend asked me to come check out his painted screen.  I was going to see just how bad it was and came away actually very impressed.  I ended up following suit and  ended up spending just over $60 in paint and supplies and have painted a screen on my wall.  The quality is great!  I figured it was the cheapest way to experiment on size without throwing down crazy money on a screen - if I liked it - I could save up, or if I wanted smaller, I could maybe find supplies to build one.  (Which may still happen @ some point).  I did have the luxury of new construction so I was able to get the rock crew to tape and smooth that wall without texture so it's perfectly flat.

Anyway, really love the projector if you can find a deal on one, I would highly recommend it.

Here is a screenshot of my Panasonic AE8000u on a 103" screen

Divergent.jpg

op do not let this picture get you all excited. This is a photoshopped photo. One pic with lights on and one without. Then paste the screen image over the lights on image. ANY projector you buy will not look that good with lights on in the room.
  • Like 1

• Moderators
op do not let this picture get you all excited. This is a photoshopped photo. One pic with lights on and one without. Then paste the screen image over the lights on image. ANY projector you buy will not look that good with lights on in the room.

That is true.  Should have posted a disclaimer.  As Scrappy said, I took two photos...one with lights on and one with them off.  I wanted to show the room and the PQ of the projector. 

• Like 2

After doing much research into wide scope projection, I found Panasonic PT-AE 8000U to be the most feasible option for my budget. I am using an Elite Lunette 115"  2.35:1 curved screen. I bought both from B&H Photo Video. Just a week (holiday season) after I bought the projector, B&H dropped the price by $400 for a few days. A quick 2 min phone call and they refunded me this amount. On top of that Panasonic offered me $100 rebate. I have bought all my A/V Entertainment, Photography and computer hardware from B&H Photo Video and have never been disappointed,

How do you like the curved screen?  Is the image sharp from edge to edge, and in the center at the same time?  Do you think it gives you an increased sense of immersion?

I am a fan of curved screens in movie houses, but the deepest curves from one projector lens systems (70 mm Todd-AO) required "pre-distortion" either on the print, or with optics in the theater.  The Todd-AO screens gave me a greater sense of immersion than I've ever had, before or since (greater immersion than the 3 projector Cinerama, because the join lines ruined the illusion, and the Cinerama aspect ratio was too extreme).  Panavision 70 (using the Cinerama trade name, but one projector, and no joins) was also good with 2001: A Space Odyssey, on a deeply curved 85 foot (chord of arc) screen at Century 21 in San Jose.  It would be great to simulate that in the home!

Edited by garyrc

I will sell it once the new screen is in place

Thanks, I was just curious.  I think a 103" would be perfect for my family room.  Would it be possible for me to install a couple of small D-rings on the top border to hang screen on little hooks.  

d_rings_clamped_nickel_plated_enlarged.j

Just thinking of the mounting possibilities considering it would not be a permanent install.  I would stow away the screen when not in use, as well as the projector.

Edited by willland

That is true.  Should have posted a disclaimer.  As Scrappy said, I took two photos...one with lights on and one with them off.  I wanted to show the room and the PQ of the projector. 

Question for you... When they are all in the Auditorium and her brother gets up from his seat, can you hear his seat? I was not able to hear it with the Audyssey setup, but heard it with the Dirac setup. The Dirac in my setup is revealing many little things I never heard before in music, and in movies. We also are noticing that we can hear dialog whispers much better now.