Do You Have Epic CF-4? What to Look For?

Jim Naseum

I like my choruses ok, but when I read about these Epic series I really got enthused about a two way. I've been looking for these CF4 but they are hard to find. I wonder if any expert here (maybe the boys ferom the exclusive heritage club?) can say what are the right serial numbers or other clues to be sure one is getting the Series 1 units? What problems to look for? How to know if one has been modded?

these look like very cool speakers.

The version 1 has the long port tubes that are a bit more than 5 inches long. And they would have an early 1994 serial number.

I'm not sure when the change to the version 2 took place, and I don't think I've ever seen/read when it occurred (serial number wise)... but they will have a shorter (3 inch) port tube. And there was a slight change to the crossover.

Version 3... again, not sure when the change happened, had different (lighter) woofers and more crossover changes.

There's lots of discussion on here if you search for it. But the port tube length is the easiest way to verify a version 1, along with the early 1994 serial number.

And they (CF-3 & CF-4) don't appear for sale very often. So if you want a pair, be willing to search near and far.

• Like 1

I've had Klipschorns and Cornwalls and still have my CF-4 Series 1. I've also had CF-4 Series 2, which were produced only days away from my Series 1 in 1994. There is a difference in sound between 1 and 2 (I had them next to one another in a room for a demo) but not enough to keep me from buying the Series 2 - they are still very very good speakers. 

The lore states that Series 1 have the longer ports, 'monster' wiring, and grey horns. I think changes were made on the line in a rolling fashion so there may be individual exceptions. 

I really like my CF-4s. They're much easier to place than the Klipschorns and the Cornwalls due to being narrower. They are still pretty heavy and tall, and due to their depth (about 19") they stick out a bit if you need to push them up against a wall. They are still very efficient and produce great bass and image very well. 

It's not a heritage sound but I like it very much. There are just as many mods out there for the CF series as for Heritage. But replacement parts are much harder to come by - the tweeters and woofers are no longer being made and to my knowledge there is no substitute for the woofers. So test any speakers you are looking at to make sure everything works. The woofers' voice coils can sag and rub. 

If you have any additional questions I'd be happy to try and answer. Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 2

As has been said, the longer port tubes will differentiate version 1 from 2&3. To differentiate 2 from 3 you need to check the networks and see if it's clear monster cable jackets or colored (black, red, and green) jackets. Colored wire jackets are only used on version 3.

I have yet to run across someone that has owned a set of CF 3s or 4s that didn't like them. I'm biased because I own them, but I wouldn't trade them for anything I've heard to date.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, all the other posts directly upstream ^^^ have covered it all, right on the money.  The problem is finding a pair, as they don't come on the market all that often, especially the version 1's.

I do have the CF-4 version 1 which I have modified by bracing the cab, damping the horn with silicon seal, adding some polyfil in the bottom of the cab while removing the dual 3/4 layers of foam (bottom set only).  I swapped out the stock compression drivers for some EV DH1506.

The CF-4's sound tremendous stock, you really don't need to put a lot of money into updated cross overs and fancy compression drivers.

The best mods were the $10 silicon treatment on the horn and the polyfil, another $5.  Those two mods reduced some harshness found in the HF range and I thought made the CF-4 VERY accurate in terms of reproducing a piano which actually sounded like a piano, a very hard task for any speaker to do accurately.

This may sound funny, but not only are they are fun to listen to, they are also easy to mod, which is also fun.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

What would be the shortcoming compared to say, Klipschorns?

I've never compared the two, so I can't say, but I think I can offer some other observations.

In general one shortcoming would be power requirements.  Khorns like tubes and need little power, the CF-4's are OK with SS amps and really seem to shine with high power, some recommend bi-amping sending as much as 200 wpc to the woofs.  The bi-amping with the extra lower-end power helps beef up the balance since most think the HF overpowers the lower frequency.  I use a 110 wpc Onk AVR and the CF-4's play as loud as I can stand, but others have upped the power and the CF-4 will take as much as you give them without complaint.

The reason people most often tout the CF-4 and CF-3 is because they DON'T sound like the Khorns, LS, etc.  They don't have the characteristic horn coloration, they are loud without being honky.

Edited by wvu80

• 3 months later...

Having had version 1s, 2s and CF-3s, I think you need to look at more than port length to decide if it's a version 1. The longer port can be swapped into a version 2 and you would be none the wiser. I'd like to think someone wouldn't do that, but I'm not that naive.

They all sound great, I just had to make a decision and went with the Heritage gear. Oh and a pair of RB-5s in one of the bedrooms

Just my .02

Mark

I'm looking to get a set of Cf4's V2 next week, they are pretty rough cosmetically but if they sound good I can get the cabinets refinished. Sorry I just thread crapped I'll wait until I'm an owner to post anymore :)

Edited by rockhound
  • Like 1

I'm looking to get a set of Cf4's V2 next week, they are pretty rough cosmetically but if they sound good I can get the cabinets refinished. Sorry I just thread crapped I'll wait until I'm an owner to post anymore :)

Congrats...hope you enjoy them. Let us know your impressions once you get em.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dave, are you attending the gathering this year? If so I would like to discuss in detail, what benefits would be, to mod my v3. CF4'S to v1. A former member here has 3 or 4 pair woofers. K 30 cone stamps. But from results I have seen, I think they are v3. Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe v1 and 2 used K29?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk