New Cornwall IIIs vs RF 7IIs

YK Thom

If you want veneer and be ready for the future how about the RP-280FA? It is fairly large, and has Atmos speakers built in. It has a matching veneer center if you so choose. Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

They are a very good looking speaker. Just checked out the specs, very impressive. I'm not familiar with Atmos sound or technology. Do they work with two channel music as well?

As well, do the top drivers run off the same channel or do you use the hieghts speaker setting on your AVR?

Seeing as these are both current models it may be worthwhile taking a trip and listening to your selections at a dealer rather than choosing one or the other and not being happy with your choice.

I agree with Claude also, if you are happy with your current K horns, false corners are the next best alternative and would save you some cash in the process.

My guess and only a guess is that if you like the K horns the Cornwall 3's would probably a better choice than the 7's in your situation as you have grown accustomed to the heritage sound, they are great sounding loudspeakers.

If LaScala's or Belles are an option you can always have a horn loaded sub made to fit into your space by disguising as a audio rack, TV stand, coffee table, side table or whatever your space could use. Don't rule out the option just because you don't think you have the space, in my opinion it would be the best sounding option unless you wanted to go all out.

Have you considered Heresy III's using smaller subs as risers? :unsure:

Thanks for the reply. I don't actually have KHorns, just the go ahead from my wife. She likes the corner placement idea-out of the way. The only corners that could be used are unsuitable (as far as I know). The one corner is the window wall, the other is a sort of jut with two four foot walls. One just stops, the other continues but has a French door. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, (I have no expert pretensions), I was under the assumption that smooth full walls were required.

As far as the Hereseys go, my only experience with them was recent and I really didn't care for them. They seemed shrill and baseless.

Edit: I misread your last sentence. Subs as risers just may work as they would eliminate the floor space issue and fill them in. Next time I'm down south I'll try listening to a pair of IIIs with small subs.

Edited by YK Thom
  • Like 1

A CWll would be (in my estimation) a better choice than a CW3. The mid horn on the CW3 is a K701 which is a smaller horn than a K601 used in a CW11. The K601 has a larger mouth for better polar control at lower frequencies than the K701 is capable or the CWll has a lower mid crossover point which is very much desirable.You can drop ti diaphragms into the mid and hi of a CWll. In my opinion the H3 is a real step backward not forward. All of the upgraded Cornwall utilize larger not smaller mid drivers and a K701 is an old expo horn with higher distortion and less extension than the current range of Cornscal loudspeakers. I still believe that the Critis type "D" cornscala is the best option out there with a far better horn and a far better driver.

Are the two way Ds nicer sounding than his original three ways? I have a cabinet maker within my social circle and could pull this off. I trust your judgement and would consider this as a solution. As I mentioned previously, I would like a full range speaker to liberate myself from a sub. Something that would work well for everything. Our modest system is always on; mainly television and movies in 5.1 during the work week and then 2.1 music all weekend. I like a natural full sounding bass but not ridiculous hyper bass. Hard to define but I know it when I hear it.

If you want veneer and be ready for the future how about the RP-280FA? It is fairly large, and has Atmos speakers built in. It has a matching veneer center if you so choose. Just throwing it out there.

They are a very good looking speaker. Just checked out the specs, very impressive. I'm not familiar with Atmos sound or technology. Do they work with two channel music as well?

As well, do the top drivers run off the same channel or do you use the hieghts speaker setting on your AVR?

You would power the height channels with different amp channels than the mains. You can use Dolby Surround processing to activate height channels even if you don't have a full surround system. It is pretty cool just using it on music. The RP-280FA can certainly work without subs, though I always have subwoofers on.

People need to be jumping all over those RP-280FA's.  Not convinced they could eliminate a sub as specified but they ought to be hella nice.  

why would you say this? you said these were no good in comparison to your rf-7ii's 

Me personally there's no way I'd trade my RF-7ii's for any of the RP stuff for two channel music.  I do feel that guys who are building a theater room out of RP speakers ought to be looking at the RP-280FA's real hard though, I think they are a great offering if you're leaning towards Reference Premiere already.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I was under the assumption that smooth full walls were required.

Not true, 4 feet or less.

Is that right. Hmm. My biggest problem corner has about a foot and a half of drywall then about six feet of picture window.

I noticed you mentioned even the KHorns require subs; I was not aware of that. I was hoping to get away from one. This is going to require some serious thought and research.

I was under the assumption that smooth full walls were required.

Not true, 4 feet or less.

Is that right. Hmm. My biggest problem corner has about a foot and a half of drywall then about six feet of picture window.

I noticed you mentioned even the KHorns require subs; I was not aware of that. I was hoping to get away from one. This is going to require some serious thought and research.

They only require subs for HT, not necessarily for music. Had Khorns and no subs for 30 years with the exact same setup as Paul W. Klipsch. He didn't have subs either. 1 1/2 feet is plenty. Dont worry about the windows, because, the pressure is less once the wave gets out there, 5 feet from the throat section. Khorns are not only the most efficient electro/acousic transducer, they also use less floor space than all of the other Heritage floor speakers mentioned here.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Have you considered Heresy III's using smaller subs as risers? 

Now that is a super suggestion, so simple yet I never thought of doing that.  Bravo!

Best of both worlds, more bass + raising drivers closer to ear level.

Heresy's really need a sub anyways in my opinion, just not a sloppy/muddy sounding one that subtracts from its natural snappiness.

Is snappiness a word ? Not sure, i used it anyways. :P

• Like 2

Regarding the op's original question, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I do think however that the RF-7II's need a sub to sound "complete". They're also very revealing and will make compressed or low bit rate recordings sound like crapola.

I've never heard Cornwalls so I can't offer an opinion on the comparison.

• Like 2

Well that information may be a game changer. I've wanted a pair for decades.

I don't think you will ever regret Khorns. they are the official flagship, after all. the rest are all trying to get close, and for some people the compromise in distortion and efficiency is acceptable. Never has been for me. I have ALL HORNS in my setup.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1