The right saw for box building

Scrappydue

festool saw, two 55" rails, rail connector, two clamps, and the ct mini dust extractor comes to (drum roll) 1469$

It seems the hypocrisy is strong in this thread (this is tongue in cheek, don't get offended).  Look at how much members here pay for gear.  A $750 DAC when your computer sound card will work just as well?  Heritage speakers when Synergy's will do the job?  Jeesh.  You get what you pay for. 

I strongly Disagree with the Dac comment, However I strongly agree you get what you pay for ESPECIALLY with TOOLS, there is a right tool for the job in every situation I have ever encountered and I have LONG been an ADVOCATE for buying the right tool ONCE, This is one of my peeves with my dad he will buy the cheapest tool to get the job done and wonder why the results come out as they do,  I had to stop working WITH him, If I do anything for him now he must leave the area and allow me to do it myself

Just watched a 10 minute video on the festool and I can tell you that thing looks like the RIGHT TOOL, Looks like they thought of everything. If I ever get back to woodworking I can say I would get the track saw before I would buy another table saw

I was honestly curious about the saw and was not attempting to speak ill of it (I love tools, about as much as audio) finding a good tool always made me Happy  :D

why would it need that much ??

Because they only make 55 and 75 inch tracks.  Two 55 inch tracks are too short.  It only gives you 7" of overhang on each end and that's not enough.

Totaly agree, overhang is a must! nothing like doing a 7' cut and finishing freehand, that would be BS.

We have ALL used devices like this sometime in our past, A 2X4 and a couple clamps, there is our straight edge.

Some guy who thought of this is sitting in Cabo saying FK the world, i did good.

Festool W/Vac, buy it once, do it right.

CeC is the most EXPERIENCED user of Festool iv seen to date.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll leave some out but I own Dewalt, Craftsman, Hitachi, Bosh, Skill and Festool power tools.  They all work well.  Best bang for the buck might be the Dewalt stuff.  They're well made and do a good job.  None of them are the caliber of tool that the Festool is.  Are they overpriced, yes.  Are they better and more accurate, absolutely, without a question.  There's a lot I never even touched on like the soft start, the ability to plunge cut, the motor that keeps constant rmp regardless of load, the ease of changing saw depth, etc.  I once checked the bevel gauge with a protractor and it's dead on, set it where you want it and it makes a perfect angle.  It was great building the BFM stuff with it as he has a lot of weird angles in his designs.

I strongly Disagree with the Dac comment

Joe, you have to admit, they both change digital to analog, which was my point.  Of course, the DAC is the better tool for the job ;)

• Like 1

festool saw, two 55" rails, rail connector, two clamps, and the ct mini dust extractor comes to (drum roll) 1469$

It seems the hypocrisy is strong in this thread (this is tongue in cheek, don't get offended). Look at how much members here pay for gear. A $750 DAC when your computer sound card will work just as well? Heritage speakers when Synergy's will do the job? Jeesh. You get what you pay for.

I can agree with that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm sure I'll leave some out but I own Dewalt, Craftsman, Hitachi, Bosh, Skill and Festool power tools.  They all work well.  Best bang for the buck might be the Dewalt stuff.  They're well made and do a good job.  None of them are the caliber of tool that the Festool is.  Are they overpriced, yes.  Are they better and more accurate, absolutely, without a question.  There's a lot I never even touched on like the soft start, the ability to plunge cut, the motor that keeps constant rmp regardless of load, the ease of changing saw depth, etc.  I once checked the bevel gauge with a protractor and it's dead on, set it where you want it and it makes a perfect angle.  It was great building the BFM stuff with it as he has a lot of weird angles in his designs.

I strongly Disagree with the Dac comment

Joe, you have to admit, they both change digital to analog, which was my point.  Of course, the DAC is the better tool for the job ;)

Let's just NOT get into "Soft Start" Craftsman plunge was one of my best upgrades.

Because they only make 55 and 75 inch tracks.  Two 55 inch tracks are too short.  It only gives you 7" of overhang on each end and that's not enough.

Totaly agree, overhang is a must! nothing like doing a 7' cut and finishing freehand, that would be BS.

We have ALL used devices like this sometime in our past, A 2X4 and a couple clamps, there is our straight edge.

Some guy who thought of this is sitting in Cabo saying FK the world, i did good.

As 2x4's are never really that straight its best to use the clean factory edge of a full sheet of plywood for a make shift straight edge.

Particleboard would work too but it gets chipped much easier and will not last nearly as long.

• Like 3

As 2x4's are never really that straight its best to use the clean factory edge of a full sheet of plywood for a make shift straight edge.

Particleboard would work too but it gets chipped much easier and will not last nearly as long.

You use what you got at the time, and for me that was 30+ years ago, been using a dead straight alum angle iron(3/8"thick) since then.

• Like 3

Talk to some Klipsch people that saw up the wood for Heritage and see what they use. I wouldn't be satisfied with cuts that are not at least accurate to within +/- .0015" for a perfect fit.

JJK

Let's just buy a danged CNC machine while we're at it shall we?  We ain't building watches here.  This is an MDF box that's going behind a hidden screen.  Of course try to do a good job but crap, we ain't selling factory made speakers worldwide here.  

If you buy something like baltic birch that is measured in millimeters instead of inches, you're already 3 times more than what your margin of error is even if you cut it perfectly.  

If your panels overlap a little, which is common, use an edging bit on a router, and suddenly it is perfect.  If they come up a little short you use some filler.  It's just not a big deal.  

Scrappy, are you looking to buy this tool and use it a lot? Or just for your 4 boxes? You might consider renting a track saw. Rent it for a day and make all your long cuts.

well i have 6 total boxes to build. 4 to replicate what i already have and then 2 very special boxes  :ph34r: 

but then i plan on using the saw for any future products. more shelving for my blu rays. a new entertainment center. might look into building my own dining table as i have a bunch of friends that have built their own lately and i love them. so this will be a tool i will use a lot hopefully. 

Those nicer tracks saws can be used as a normal circular saw as well as a plunge cut saw.  You're not just getting fancy tracks.  

It's not advertised much but those Festool saws have mo beefier bearings than normal circular saws.  The whole assembly that the saw blade attaches to is much stronger than usual, plus you use those small blades.  Way more accurate than usual and should last longer.  You'll have this thing forever.  

It seems the hypocrisy is strong in this thread (this is tongue in cheek, don't get offended).  Look at how much members here pay for gear.  A $750 DAC when your computer sound card will work just as well?  Heritage speakers when Synergy's will do the job?  Jeesh.  You get what you pay for. 

I strongly Disagree with the Dac comment, However I strongly agree you get what you pay for ESPECIALLY with TOOLS, there is a right tool for the job in every situation I have ever encountered and I have LONG been an ADVOCATE for buying the right tool ONCE, This is one of my peeves with my dad he will buy the cheapest tool to get the job done and wonder why the results come out as they do,  I had to stop working WITH him, If I do anything for him now he must leave the area and allow me to do it myself

Just watched a 10 minute video on the festool and I can tell you that thing looks like the RIGHT TOOL, Looks like they thought of everything. If I ever get back to woodworking I can say I would get the track saw before I would buy another table saw

I was honestly curious about the saw and was not attempting to speak ill of it (I love tools, about as much as audio) finding a good tool always made me Happy  :D

here is the video -

How much is that damn vacuum, heres the saw for 640.00 and the rails and clamps for about 150 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-TS-55-REQ-Track/dp/B00C2AKZCO

unless there is a bigger trac saw you are looking at. using your estimate that would place a vacuum at around 800....................I think I could press the on off button for the rest of my life for that kind of $$ :D

For saw. Two rails at 129 each. Clamps are 39 each. And vac is 475

I thought the 640 included the first 55" rail....................Guess not 

they nickle and dime you on the accessories - big time - and they are very delicate stuff as well - the saw is as small as they get - but you gotta be careful - as the tracks can bend - the plastic can break - so easy does it - if you want it to last - the vaccum is a neat job , and it works -though -

Edited by Randyh