Eliptrac 240 Cornscala Build progress

justinsweber

I was asked to help with a massive project. This will be a true one of a kind. Ive hooked up the 240 horn and say it does through a larger sound stage and seems more expansive. The Speaker with be Fastlane Eliptrac 240/B&C DE750, Fastlane contrac with B&C DE10 and ALK ES networks, Kappa 15C. Cardis bining posts and some fantastic wire for hookup. The whole project should wrap up in a few week and it will be shipped to NYC.

gallery_36992_282_128606.jpg
gallery_36992_282_72715.jpg

gallery_36992_282_21750.jpg
gallery_36992_282_28926.jpg
gallery_36992_282_69362.jpg

• Like 3

yeah... not much demand but its the same math... The Grills are sourced from dave as the owner wanted the woofer recessed in.

After speaking with ALK and learning some of the characteristics of the Eliptrac 240, the crossovers and mid driver are changing. 

The owner will order a ES300 and ES4500 from AL. Additionally we will be using the BMS 4591. Should be pretty cool to hear a cornscala crossed so low. 

Consultation with ALK was the primary reason. The horn/BMS will be more linear than the 15C. The horn some the collapsing polar responses above 4500 if I recall (as I was told). The ES4500 will have the HF take over. The contrac can easily handle being crosses at 4500. The BMS driver can handle incredible power at 300hz. The 3 changes should make this a one of a kind with unique results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by justinsweber

I built a pair of DIY LS bass bins before. We are not interested in trying to build Klipsch clones. The Klipsch la scale and k horn is a lot of work. I'm still trying to refine the cornscala. ;-). I wish someone had the la Scala dog house to build from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see the ALK es300s. I'm not sure I've ever seen any pictures of that one. Does he even advertise it?

I've heard about the es400 and 12-350.

I'd like to see that ES300 too.  Some big inductors on there.  The ES400 was already 2 boards....maybe we have graduated to 3 boards! :emotion-21:

Guest David H
ES300? As in crossover from bass to mid at 300Hz? Really? Why? GotHover, are you on board with this?

I try not to weigh in too much on other peoples projects, though I did try and talk the owner into the Eliptrac HF for aesthetic reasons.

I am pleased to see a forum project come to life, especially one that is different from main stream builds. 

That said, I don't think this is the speaker I would build, but I'll bet is turns out marvelous. I will be following this thread

closely, and may even make a trip to amps and sound to see and hear the finished product.

Dave

Edited by GotHover