Hard decision between RF82 and RP280 (Update)

grandcarrera

I'm planning on get a new set up for my room, but i couldn't decide which one should I go with.

The local store around my house offer a pair of rf82 for 600$ and rp280 for 950$.

which one should I go with? what are the different? and is it worth 350$ to get rp280?

Thank you very much  

Edited by grandcarrera

I understand that the main difference is the horn material and geometry. The new reference premier have been very well reviewed, but I've not had the opportunity to hear them myself.

If they gave both on-hand, I would try to listen to them both and decide which you like better. In the grand scheme of things, $350 is not much of a difference when you consider the lifespan of speakers.

Another consideration is the availability of the matching center and surrounds if you ever decide to go for a 5.1 setup.

Good luck and have fun. Welcome to the madness.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for answering.

I went to the store and listened to RP-260 and RF-82 today. Unfortunately they only have RP-260 on display.

The RP-260 sound is a lot more clear and have less distortion.

Do you guys think that it's worth 300$ more for that.

Right now I'm thinking that i will go with the RP-280 but I want to hear more from you guys.

Thank you

Edited by grandcarrera

I suppose that both sets of speakers were auditioned with the same amplifier in the same room/speaker positions and the source/recording was the same.

If in these conditions RP-260 sound better to you, than you could consider spending more money for that :) .

How would you describe "more clear" and "better distortion" in more words? I would tend to connect "more clear" with horn driver. If Klipsch realy improved that horn comparing to the RF series, than you could be among the first poeple here to actualy prove this is true in real life.

And yes, I was in similar situation few years ago when buying my set of RF speakers. I am stil sorry I did not spent extra money on larger speakers in the lineup.

Edited by parlophone1
  • Like 1

If you were that impressed with the RP260s compared to the RF82s, then the RP280s would be more of a difference for the better. There is a saying around here, bigger is better. If you went with the RP280s, the upgrade bug might not show his ugly face. And like Fuzzy mentioned, will you go for a surround system, or is this for two channel? 

Good luck with your decision….and welcome.

Oh…..we love pics :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

I went to the store and listened to both of them today. Unfortunately they only have RP-260 on display

I'm not understanding how you listen to both of them but yet only one of them was on display . Might be a translation issue just trying to get a better understanding
  • Like 1

I went to the store and listened to both of them today. Unfortunately they only have RP-260 on display

I'm not understanding how you listen to both of them but yet only one of them was on display . Might be a translation issue just trying to get a better understanding

I think it means he wanted to hear the RF82 versus the RP280, but they only had the RP260 to audition.

There is no such thing as a hard decision. You just don't like the decision you've already made. :)

Personally I would be thinking about the rest of your system. The towers alone might be tempting to get the older version but if you can't finish the system out you may need to rethink that.

I'd also be thinking about which finish you like. That's the biggest difference in my opinion.

There is no such thing as a hard decision. You just don't like the decision you've already made.

OK, there's just been a terrible boating accident, and it's certain that the two unfortunate children in the water will both drown without getting a life jacket immediately.  You can save one child if you act now, and you have one life jacket.  Do you throw it to your:

A.  Son

B.  Daughter

+++

LOL!  OK, you don't have to answer.  This isn't isn't a psychology class exercise on values clarification.  :P

Edited by wvu80

than you could be among the first poeple here to actualy prove this is true in real life.
uuhhhh not sure i follow. there have been a few of us that had both series in our homes when they were released in january. in fact i have already had every model in the premiere line up in my home to check out personally.  

Personally I would be thinking about the rest of your system. The towers alone might be tempting to get the older version but if you can't finish the system out you may need to rethink that.

This has been mentioned a couple times in this thread, but unless you actually have to have brand new, it's not an issue.  The matching center, surrounds, and bookshelves all come up for sale very often on the used market. 

Completing a full system for the RF 82's should not be difficult.  Scappy, with auto-EQ is there enough difference to fuss about?  I would think the horn to sound more like the WF Icon since that horn was circular/flower shaped.  I always remind myself that speaker evolution comes in small steps which is why the Heritage line is still going stronger with music lovers.

Edited by derrickdj1

let me ask the most important question. are you doing a home theater? if so the matching center to the rf-82ii (rc-62ii) is in my opinion a better center than the one that matches the RP-280

I never had a chance to compare my RC-62 ii to my RP-450C side by side but I can tell you that I prefer my the RP-450C in  just about every way. I would even put the RP-450C on the same level as my old RC-64. Now if I was running the RC-64 full range, I would imagine the bass extension would be better than the RP-450C but that is what subwoofers are for;)

I know you have also owned all of the centers I mentioned above so I am wondering why you preferred the RC-62 over the RP-450C? I also know that none of the Reference centers I mentioned would touch your Palladium or your Cinema gear. Ignorance is bliss I guess..

I am honestly loving my new RP system and would order the exact same system all over again today. 

• Like 1

I think it means he wanted to hear the RF82 versus the RP280, but they only had the RP260 to audition.

That is exactly what I'm trying to say . Thanks

Ignorance is bliss I guess..
ill just start my post off with this quote. YES! it is bliss! the 450C would be a great center for those that never venture any further into this hobby.

I never had a chance to compare my RC-62 ii to my RP-450C side by side but I can tell you that I prefer my the RP-450C in  just about every way.
and see that is what this hobby brings. different opinions. i like the 450c i just feel the 62ii is better sounding for home theater use. also the rear port was a huge step backwards in my opinion.

I would even put the RP-450C on the same level as my old RC-64
i would agree there for the most part except for the finish quality. you know you liked the veneer better!

I know you have also owned all of the centers I mentioned above so I am wondering why you preferred the RC-62 over the RP-450C?
i actually own all three of the reference premiere centers right now. i can tell you that every one of them (in my opinion) is not clear enough for home theater duty. they just sound veiled to me in general. and the one speaker i dont want veiled is the center. now the towers and bookshelves are SWEET. i also have most of them right now as well. music is sweet on them for sure i just think the older centers were better at movie dialogue.

I also know that none of the Reference centers I mentioned would touch your Palladium or your Cinema gear
they will def not. but different price category and cinema is for a whole other direction.

Scappy, with auto-EQ is there enough difference to fuss about?
absolutely in my opinion. a speaker that is veiled to me can not just be eq'ed up. the clarity just isnt there when i compare them to what i am used to. and i think the 62ii was just a tad more clear. so its the winner in my book. especially at half the cost. now they are about impossible to find now so might me a moot point.
  • Like 3

i actually own all three of the reference premiere centers right now. i can tell you that every one of them (in my opinion) is not clear enough for home theater duty. they just sound veiled to me in general.

In terms of being veiled, I wonder how much of that is due to the break-in period, or lack thereof. For example I didn't much like my RS-62ii's at first but now I think they sound great, at least way better than when I first got them, and I seriously doubt that a fresh set of RP-450S's could hang with the way they sound right now.

I've also heard some bookshelves I thought were veiled but I know you've had the same ones for awhile and really like them. I hated my UltiMax's at first, very muffled up high, but now I think they are very musical. Hard to judge these things without knowing what the odometer on them would say.

So how much of this is due to comparing new Reference Premiere stuff to well used Reference II gear? Seems like you used that RC-62ii for awhile.

Does anybody else think that Klipsch gear may have a significant break-in period?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters