Your All A Bunch of PeckerHeads

thebes

For the record...

A moderator asked me, quite politely, if I would be "ok" with locking the thread. 

To some extent, it was "my call" but I interpreted the request as "John, please help us, we're getting tired of managing this"

So how could I say no...especially given how pleasant this one moderator is?

So there you have it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thebes, great post, as always!

Thanks John for having my back! It's greatly appreciated!

I'm sure I speak for all the mods here when I say we prefer to read and post as members, rather than "moderate". It becomes a daunting task when other members publicly and privately request moderation on a particular thread. We honestly hate locking threads or in a worse case scenario deleting them altogether.

Edited by dtel's wife

Nelson Pass bought a pair of JBL L300's and tried to improve upon the original crossovers and here is an article on what was involved for those that are interested. It took him months to settle on what he liked so it shows even someone that is as knowledgeable about sound as him takes a long time with plenty of listening to achieve a better crossover. I respect any designer of a crossover network even the banned one, he does have good ideas.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf

Hmmmm, there's some inconsistencies in those plots. I almost want to hunt him down and see if he can shed some light. He pulled the MF and HF down about 6dB according to his electrical curves, but then the system response is actually boosted at those frequencies... Anyone know if he's active on any forums?

One of the reasons I like active crossovers is that it's easier to snap back and forth between changes when changing the source material. He's totally spot on about it taking weeks to listen to enough songs to validate each change. If only there were a way to listen on fast forward...

Ok let me get this straight.  Perceived wisdom in building a system is to start with the speakers and go from there, fiddlin an doodlin and poking around until you got it right. 

So you're sitting there admiring your endeavors and listening, of course, to some righteous p-funk..  You got your amp, pre-amp, dac, cd transport, table with SUT, PUT, LOMC, clamp, brush, needle brush, and a magic eraser just in case.  You've got a power cleaner the size of a bank vault, miscellaneous exotic tubes, hospital grade power cords, speaker wire woven from the pubic hair of vestal virgins, oxygen free too to boot, (it's the lack of oxygen that gives your system that "breathless" feeling),  and rca's designed at Lawrence Livermore Laboratories and spun in a weightless environment aboard the space shuttle.  You've got your magic pebbles sitting on top of your speakers next to your well-watered household plants, and all the wires are sitting atop sandalwood blocks carved by Buddhists monks in an ashram high in the mountains  of Tibet.

Then some idiot cons you into fiddling your crossover.  Next thing you know, you've got to switch tweeters, then the mids don't match up well with 1/4 watt SET amplifier, so you switch that out for a push-pull, but now your bottom end needs work so you change the woofer, which throws off the values on the coupling capacitors, which requires you to add an extra quarter gram of tracking force on your cart, which causes sibilance when the Fat Lady sings.

And it goes downhill from there until one day, drunk and despondent you borrow a gun from a neighbor who has a "Guns Are Our Friends" sticker on his pickup truck and blow your brains all over those well-watered plants sitting so nicely atop your speakers and those cute little magic pebbles.

"Hey Maurice, wait up!  What's this "pompitus of love" thing.  Does it involve a pompadour, because I'm, somewhat hair challenged.  Oh and..."

Edited by thebes
  • Like 2

Ok let me get this straight.  Perceived wisdom in building a system is to start with the speakers and go from there, fiddlin an doodlin and poking around until you got it right. 

So you're sitting there admiring your endeavors and listening, of course, to some righteous p-funk..  You got your amp, pre-amp, dac, cd transport, table with SUT, PUT, LOMC, clamp, brush, needle brush, and a magic eraser just in case.  You've got a power cleaner the size of a bank vault, miscellaneous exotic tubes, hospital grade power cords, speaker wire woven from the pubic hair of vestal virgins, oxygen free too to boot, (it's the lack of oxygen that gives your system that "breathless" feeling),  and rca's designed at Lawrence Livermore Laboratories and spun in a weightless environment aboard the space shuttle.  You've got your magic pebbles sitting on top of your speakers next to your well-watered household plants, and all the wires are sitting atop sandalwood blocks carved by Buddhists monks in an ashram high in the mountains  of Tibet.

Then some idiot cons you into fiddling your crossover.  Next thing you know, you've got to switch tweeters, then the mids don't match up well with 1/4 watt SET amplifier, so you switch that out for a push-pull, but now your bottom end needs work so you change the woofer, which throws off the values on the coupling capacitors, which requires you to add an extra quarter gram of tracking force on your cart, which causes sibilance when the Fat Lady sings.

And it goes downhill from there until one day, drunk and despondent you borrow a gun from a neighbor who has a "Guns Are Our Friends" sticker on his pickup truck and blow your brains all over those well-watered plants sitting so nicely atop your speakers and those cute little magic pebbles.

"Hey Maurice, wait up!  What's this "pompitus of love" thing.  Does it involve a pompadour, because I'm, somewhat hair challenged.  Oh and..."

I agree... what's wrong with these people... who puts well watered plants on top of their speakers?? 

• Like 1

And it goes downhill from there until one day, drunk and despondent you borrow a gun from a neighbor... (SNIP!!!!)

Geez, that otherwise clever and well written ramble really took a dark turn there at the end, didn't it?  :wacko:

Do you have an alternative light side ending that might actually cheer me up instead of making me feel dark and dreary?  :)

I agree... what's wrong with these people... who puts well watered plants on top of their speakers?? 

The ignorant and those who don't really give a dam about other peoples valuables

And it goes downhill from there until one day, drunk and despondent you borrow a gun from a neighbor... (SNIP!!!!)

Geez, that otherwise clever and well written ramble really took a dark turn there at the end, didn't it?  :wacko:

Do you have an alternative light side ending that might actually cheer me up instead of making me feel dark and dreary?  :)

Black humor isn't as bad as you think, otherwise Fargo wouldn't have been such a hit.  Cheers!

Turns out it was only a minor blood splatter, because at the very last second a glimmer of an idea takes place in your head that's so exciting you jerk the trigger a bit early out of reflex, or maybe because a bit premature is just your modus operandi.  You wash the bits of goo off the plants, rinse the magic pebbles under the faucet, make a couple of calls, put a charge on a credit cart and wallah, a couple of days later salvation is at hand in the form of brand spanking new Paper-In-Oil caps in all the right values for your Heritage crossover.

Thanking your stars that somewhere along the way someone gave you the knowledge  that God and Paul Wilbur Klipsch voiced all the Heritage line using PIO's, mostly surplus military stock from World War II. The simple upgrade restores your years of diligent audio labor with newfound sonic bliss. 

After clearing your gun by shooting some sealed DungBeatles records, you return it to your friendly neighbor, go home and settle into your favorite chair, where you reward yourself with the A side of Funky Nassau and tap your toes in divers delight.

"Hey Maurice!  You lika dat Funky Nassau, Funky Nassau..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L762HQ-ha7I

Edited by thebes