Snow

jimjimbo

I'm about four miles north of the Loop (downtown) and there has been rain mixed with a little snow. Not much accumulation.

For those not familiar with Chicago weather:  The wind has been from the Northwest.  This means the cold air from the north moves down the length of Lake Michigan and picks up moisture.  Hence lake effect snow falling on Northern Indiana and Western Michigan..  This is on top of whatever else is going on.

WMcD

Lake Michigan sure does strange things on both sides of the lake.

Glad you did not get nailed like just north of us did.

No snow blower. I have already shoveled three times so at least it splits it up. 17 inches is way too much for the first snowfall though...this pic was from 4 this afternoon...

12246917_10205029426441963_6221497964745

Finally done snowing. Just over 19 inches total.

Edited by teaman

El Nino years usually not so snowy, but we will see as the calendar progresses.

Looking forward to my avatar hobby soon, and heavy snow is NOT conducive to productive (FAST) ice sailing.

It's the midwest, its gonna snow AND be cold - No big deal - the price we pay for 4 seasons.

Lake effect occurs due to temperature contrasts between the land and a body of water, creating it's own low pressure center and thus creating an enhanced line of snow activity. It's not dependent on a calendrical value.

FWIW, my idea of this is simpler/more simple-minded, as reflected in Wiki:

Lake-effect snow is produced during cooler atmospheric conditions when a cold air mass moves across long expanses of warmer lake water, warming the lower layer of air which picks up water vapor from the lake, rises up through the colder air above, freezes and is deposited on the leeward(downwind) shores.

Hence the typically heavy winter snowfalls leeward of large bodies of relatively warm water, such as upstate NY and PA to the S and SE of Lakes Erie and Ontario.  That's 'bout what you said... :) 

Edited by LarryC

I'm about four miles north of the Loop (downtown) and there has been rain mixed with a little snow. Not much accumulation.

For those not familiar with Chicago weather:  The wind has been from the Northwest.  This means the cold air from the north moves down the length of Lake Michigan and picks up moisture.  Hence lake effect snow falling on Northern Indiana and Western Michigan..  This is on top of whatever else is going on.

WMcD

McD

I'm in Fox River Grove about an hour northwest of you and we have about 12 inches. Course that's what I tell the GF too

Mark

Arrow#422-

Would the Port City be Muskegon?  What class of iceboats are those in your avatar?

In my long lost youth I sailed on Spring Lake.  When the ice, temp and wind cooperated, blasting down the ice on Spring Lake at 60 mph on a DN was a thrill denied our warm weather brethren.

• Like 1