You're On Facebook?

oldtimer

Here's an example of another critique I have about the Gates Foundation. 

Why should the money go to needs overseas, when it the social structures that allowed him to make that money was all in the USA? We have severe needs here, too. Are Tenneseans less deserving of aid than Ugandans? Stan Brock of Remote Area Medical, is trying to improve health care for millions of America where it is simply not available, like in Appalachia. Is he being supported by Gates? I don't know, he might be. But the point of the critique is to simply say, that I think RAM could greatly benefit from a few million dollars, because Stan Brock really knows how to do what he does so well. 

The general principle I am offering is that these large charitable trusts should be managed as a public, not private trust. When soldiers get killed, they are giving up their life for the benefit of everyone, not just some selected few. If they can commit a LIFE to the public, then I see no reason Gates can't commit his mere money to the same cause. 

Getting back on topic!

I get my news at least 2 or 3 days before it hits the TV or the Paper, and as long as you are willing to research what you are reading is true, you will learn a heck of a lot that censored and biased media will not report!

Yes, it is a terrific place to stay in touch with and find old lost friends, have run across many.

I have several long distance friends that we extremely regularly check in with one another.

I belong to several great groups that cover my various interests: "The HORN Loudspeaker Forum", "Vintage Audio", "The Nakamichi Group", "Silver Faced Pioneer"," The V-Max group" and several others! Some of these groups are closed and you have to be invited in, and it keeps a lot of the BS from going on :)

AND, as previously stated, many ideas, and friendships are enjoyed on this format if you know how to use it :)

Roger

I'm on the horn loudspeaker forum and am blown away by what is being designed and built, egos don't seem to get in the way. Everyone goes out of there way to help you if they can. I need to check out a couple of the other groups. If you can't behave, I believe they remove you, not ask you to leave

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

Charity does not just Blossom in people after they become wealthy, if you don't do it when you are poor, then you wont do it if you make it!

I had to go back and look to see what this part of the discussion is about but, again, this is why I bring up the difference between Charity and Taxes--- insofar as the National Debt and Infrastructure repairs are concerned...How do you increase revenue to pay for those costs? Charity is when you cloth and feed the poor but the National Debt and infrastructure are covered by Taxes....

Of course, all of this is OT but it seems several of you are talking past each other and not really addressing the problem...Then again, a discussion on Charity probably won't shut down this thread but if we start talking about a Tax increase for the wealthy (or the poor) my guess this thread will go downhill fast.

The problem is neither really served by increasing taxes to the rich, nor the poor, you can't tax this country into prosperity, those tethers are what is chasing business out of this country! What is needed is to cut the Federal Government in half and to eliminate all of the pork, and Lobbyist, but that is NEVER going to happen without a civil war!

Roger

So people argue they don't start businesses in this country because there are too many taxes. Hmmm.  Then I am also told that these taxes pay for our roads and educational systems, which are failing. Hmmmm.   I think I am seeing a correlation here. Why does the govt allow this? For the benefit of the 1% who make billions from off shore production I suppose. What a great system we have setup here.

The bolded line was quite funny---

Was meant to be.

....My guess is there would be a lot more carnage if Facebook foes were having discussions in person.

Most discussions would be different if conducted in person.  Cojones increase in size exponentially as anonymity increases. 

Never mind

Mark

As I sit in my cubicle in our company cube farm leading my middle class life...I think it a lot harsh to demonize some of these wealthy folks.

Many of these folks started with nothing but an idea in their parents basement/garage and turned it into a very successful business. These business provide employment and benefits which support significant numbers of workers. To me, if you can come up with the idea, see it through, take all of the big risks of failure, and then see it blossom...kudos. Those folks deserve to reap the rewards of their labor. It's easy to criticize from the peanut gallery what they do with their money...but neither you or I have taken the risks that they've taken nor have we come up with that valuable idea/process that they came up with.

If we want to live in a communist society where everyone is capped at a certain level for every idea, see how much innovation that will lead to. I didn't see Silicon Valley housed in the USSR/Cuba/N Korea/etc.

You can also decry the "donation" of their wealth, but why don't you use Google and actually read about where some of it is going before you criticize. Providing clean water to people in third world countries...I'd say that's a noble project. Providing valuable funding for research to cure deadly diseases...I don't think that should be criticized. If it's your money, spend it/donate it how you like, but don't criticize someone else for how they choose to donate their wealth...especially when you & I live in the richest country in the world...our poor are still richer than much of the world.

Actually, criticism and dissent are the cornerstone of an open and free society. Only self righteous dictators demand that they are above criticism.

Billionaires do not exist in a vacuum. They are a part of a larger community. Some in that community, like soldiers, even give their entire life so that billionaires can be free to make those billions. That's why we ask have the right of criticism.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

:emotion-41:  :pwk_bs:

Is $45B a little or a lot? It's a good question. It's both. It's not enough to wage a war, but it's more by far than most venture capitalist funds, and more than most charitable trusts.

The richest man in the world is the Mexican who owns the cell phone company, under #100 Billion I believe.

If the "Commodore", Cornelius Vanderbilt were alive today, his adjusted net worth would be north of $430 Billion, (a dyslexic moment) a time before property tax.

You think the wealthy are the enemy, and to a small extent that may be true, but the Government is what is really holding you down from a prosperous life style. 

Roger

Never mind LOL

Mark

Question

why is criticism warranted when someone is donating their wealth for good projects that help many?

Answer:

Criticism and dissent are indeed effective tools and rights of those in a free society

No one expects you to necessarily agree with any particular critique. You have the right to offer your own. I spelled out my specific criticism in a previous post. That's the whole idea behind the meaning of a free and open society. 

"Do as I say, NOT as I do!"

So people argue they don't start businesses in this country because there are too many taxes. Hmmm.  Then I am also told that these taxes pay for our roads and educational systems, which are failing. Hmmmm.   I think I am seeing a correlation here. Why does the govt allow this? For the benefit of the 1% who make billions from off shore production I suppose. What a great system we have setup here.

No, you just don't get it, do ya?

Think of big business interests as Jon's, and senators on up as whores for sale.

Now that ***** is going to sell her goods to the highest bidder, any bidder, and her goods are our tax dollars at work.

Now, which is easier to get off of the street, the Jon's or the whores?

Roger

• Like 2

Is $45B a little or a lot? It's a good question. It's both. It's not enough to wage a war, but it's more by far than most venture capitalist funds, and more than most charitable trusts.

The richest man in the world is the Mexican who owns the cell phone company, under #100 Billion I believe.

If the "Commodore", Cornelius Vanderbilt were alive today, his adjusted net worth would be north of $430 Billion, (a dyslexic moment) a time before property tax.

You think the wealthy are the enemy, and to a small extent that may be true, but the Government is what is really holding you down from a prosperous life style.

Roger

Not sure where any of that is coming from. I was following a discussion of how billionaires establish means it giving away their money.

Can you please phrase that so a simpleton can understand it?

TY

Mark

• Like 1

Here's an example of another critique I have about the Gates Foundation. 

Why should the money go to needs overseas, when it the social structures that allowed him to make that money was all in the USA? We have severe needs here, too. Are Tenneseans less deserving of aid than Ugandans? Stan Brock of Remote Area Medical, is trying to improve health care for millions of America where it is simply not available, like in Appalachia. Is he being supported by Gates? I don't know, he might be. But the point of the critique is to simply say, that I think RAM could greatly benefit from a few million dollars, because Stan Brock really knows how to do what he does so well. 

The general principle I am offering is that these large charitable trusts should be managed as a public, not private trust. When soldiers get killed, they are giving up their life for the benefit of everyone, not just some selected few. If they can commit a LIFE to the public, then I see no reason Gates can't commit his mere money to the same cause. 

AGAIN, How much, what percentage do YOU donate?

Do not hold someone else to a standard you do not follow yourself!

Roger

With the national debt involved there is no possible way that one would see a noticeable improvement

In what fantasy land version of the United States experience version could it NOT be directly tied into the success of your solution???

It most certainly IS implied and will directly affect the outcome!

I am tired of trying to lead Mary Ingalls to the color spectrum of a sunset here.

Fantasize on!

Roger

Roger do you drink alcohol on a daily basis? My guess is yes, and probably copius amounts.

I am not asking any billionaire to give any money to charity so you asking about how much I or anyone else donates is irrellevant. Again reading comprehension. 

Edited by xxJPMxx

Roger do you drink alcohol on a daily basis? My guess is yes, and probably copius amounts.

I am not asking any billionaire to give any money to charity so you asking about how much I or anyone else donates is irrellevant. Again reading comprehension. 

Nope, Social occasions only, several times a year, but I have even been known to share one with people such as yourself at Hope :)

But if believing that helps you sleep better at night, I say run with it!

Roger

Honestly, I think what a person gives to Charity is between them and their God as well as where their moral compass is...When it comes to taxes I think we as a country should pay our bills and those that can afford more take up the slack until we elect folks that agree with them on cutting spending. Of course, the Sequester is in place so we appear to be at a stalemate....{Note: I think there can be a lot of fat cut out of Government but also there are things it should be doing that aren't being addressed.}

Edited by Zen Traveler

Honestly, I think what a person gives to Charity is between them and their God as well as where their moral compass is...When it comes to taxes I think we as a country should pay our bills and those that can afford more take up the slack until we elect folks that agree with them on cutting spending. Of course, the Sequester is in place so we appear to be at a stalemate....{Note: I think there can be a lot of fat cut out of Government but also there are things it should be doing that aren't being addressed.}

Religion AND Politics. Nice!

• Like 2