You're On Facebook?

oldtimer

• Moderators

Religion AND Politics. Nice!

True I have been reading this and can't figure out what it has to do with Facebook OR why people can't seem to talk to each other with the slightest bit of respect, remember your opinion is only that. Your opinion does not make you smarter or correct.

I'm a little busy, if needed i wouldn't go through individual post just erase the whole thread, it's up to post's after this.  And no I don't want your opinion on it, it's there rules not mine.

Edited by dtel

"That's why we ask have the right of criticism."

Again I'm a simpleton, please explain this.

Do you mean "That's why we have the right of criticism" or do you mean

That's why we ask to be criticized?

Never mind ,I'm think I will just stop looking at this thread. I have that right (freedom)

Mark

• Like 2

Here's an example of another critique I have about the Gates Foundation. 

Why should the money go to needs overseas, when it the social structures that allowed him to make that money was all in the USA? We have severe needs here, too. Are Tenneseans less deserving of aid than Ugandans? Stan Brock of Remote Area Medical, is trying to improve health care for millions of America where it is simply not available, like in Appalachia. Is he being supported by Gates? I don't know, he might be. But the point of the critique is to simply say, that I think RAM could greatly benefit from a few million dollars, because Stan Brock really knows how to do what he does so well. 

The general principle I am offering is that these large charitable trusts should be managed as a public, not private trust. When soldiers get killed, they are giving up their life for the benefit of everyone, not just some selected few. If they can commit a LIFE to the public, then I see no reason Gates can't commit his mere money to the same cause. 

Non sequitur.

Maybe a bit archaic, but what about a phone call?

Too personal in this day & age?

Inconvenient?

Time consuming?

Yay…….Facebook.

You've brought the world together, by creating distance - genius  <_<

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 2

This thread now embodies Facebook fairly well.  :)   People share thoughts, keep up with folks, make people angry, etc.  It is what it is. 

Interesting that even when the "1%" give huge amounts of money away they are still doing it wrong.  Stunning.

PS - I also have a Facebook account.

• Like 1

Right on. 

Convenience at its best.

I don't like people either, so texting is much easier.

All kidding aside, I was thinking of an old fashioned LAND LINE phone call.  LOL

I get thoroughly wound up with over-texting situations especially where a 3 minute phone call could offer full clarity.

I absolutely hate Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. All these people with vast amounts of money say they give it away but where does it show up? With just his fortune alone he could single handedly change either the healthcare system or the educational system, then there is our countries infrastructure. Actually with 45 billion dollars I am almost certain he could single handedly improve all three. If you think about it, if him, BIll Gates, and a few other of the ultra rich each chipped in they could make this country absolutely amazing and still have enough money left over to keep them and their children filthy rich for a long time.

I can't stand when you search for these billionaires on google that's it's no coincidence that their charity involvement are the first to come up, yet in all my travels across this country I still see failing infrastructure and far more poverty than I care to.

I would like to tweet his severed head on a spike.

I work in development.  If they gave it all away, $100 Billion would be a drop in the bucket for what you want done.  A fast food restaurant or a Starbucks cost a few million.  An office building is $25M for something that is relatively modest.   A mile of road in the middle of nowhere is $3M to $5m.  A bridge is $100M. 

I work with very wealthy people and see them give a lot of money away. 

+1. I work with a lot of wealthy people as well and I am humbled by their generosity.

• Like 1

"Huge charity commitments often get headlines — like the ones Bill Gates and Warren Buffett collected for convincing 40 billionaires to donate at least half of their fortunes. But Paul Piff, a psychology researcher at the University of California, Berkeley, tells host Guy Raz about his studies, which show that poor people are actually more charitable than the rich." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129068241

Go figure.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

When the I-35 bridge collapsed here several years ago, my family could not get ahold of my sister. She took that bridge often on her way to and from work. For hours phone lines and cell towers were jammed and we couldn't get ahold of her. Luckily she took a different route that day, but there was a lot of worry for several hours as to her well being. Not saying Facebook would've helped at all, but its another route to let people know you're ok.

Maybe a bit archaic, but what about a phone call?

That was my first thought but most phones can text and you can send to multiple people at once.

Having gone through this with child birth, it's far easier to post updates to facebook and let people passively check in, rather than keep up with sending a bunch of texts out or having to reply to the barrage of individual requests for status. facebook has been testing a feature, most recently used with the France attacks, where you can simply login and "check in" indicating you're ok.

• Like 2

Facebook…….is many things.

One of which could be thought of as a controlled media voyeurism situation in which your "friends" are the window peepsters of your shared content.

Not too different, (even here) if you think about it.

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 1

I absolutely hate Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. All these people with vast amounts of money say they give it away but where does it show up? With just his fortune alone he could single handedly change either the healthcare system or the educational system, then there is our countries infrastructure. Actually with 45 billion dollars I am almost certain he could single handedly improve all three. If you think about it, if him, BIll Gates, and a few other of the ultra rich each chipped in they could make this country absolutely amazing and still have enough money left over to keep them and their children filthy rich for a long time.

I can't stand when you search for these billionaires on google that's it's no coincidence that their charity involvement are the first to come up, yet in all my travels across this country I still see failing infrastructure and far more poverty than I care to.

I would like to tweet his severed head on a spike.

That's funny because he just announced today that he's giving it all away.