What Exactly is Terrorism?

Jim Naseum

T&P

Every public official behind every comment period on tragedy by saying, "our thoughts and prayers go out to all involved."

I don't believe them. Do politicians get on their knees and pray for all these people? I think monks and priests probably do, but pols? Really? And if they do, why are they bragging about it? Can't they just pray in private? Why must we brag about praying, without showing the praying? If like to see the news video of these guys on their knees praying before they brag on it. Isn't praying the job of religious leaders, and DOING is the job of pols?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

T&P

Every public official behind every comment period on tragedy by saying, "our thoughts and prayers go out to all involved."

I don't believe them. Do politicians get on their knees and pray for all these people? I think monks and priests probably do, but pols? Really? And if they do, why are they bragging about it? Can't they just pray in private? Why must we brag about praying, without showing the praying? If like to see the news video of these guys on their knees praying before they brag on it. Isn't praying the job of religious leaders, and DOING is the job of pols?

I wouldn't put too much thought into this. It's a pleasantry that's common in our society, used when there's not much else to say to comfort somebody. I've seen guys who I'm pretty sure are atheists say this. My dad had brain surgery recently, people were saying this to me left and right. I mean, what else are they going to say that's even remotely appropriate?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I can't stand watching any of the main stream media stations. They all have an agenda. They are usually so overwhelmingly fake I think they might be robots. You know for a fact the majority of TV reporters are not religious but yet they give their prayers out to all the victims like it's going to make a difference. For all we know they are praying to satan that the souls be trapped in a lake of fire in eternal damn nation...............

Police seem to keep ramping up their militarization to keep pace with the armament of civilians.

The town I live in just got given some military surplus anti-land mine people movers. They're huge. They look like a giant bulldozer or something. And the police department said they would be using the giant vehicles... Yes more than one! For drug raids or hostage situtations...

They wear Kevlar vests and camo to feel more bada$$ than they really are. You're a cop, not some rainbow 6 warrior.

Hey Mercedes - my sons a cop and was involved in a home related domestic shooting where he was drawn on by the "bad guy". I'm glad he is able to wear a Kevlar vest that makes him look "tough". So from me to you - blow it out your ***. And yeah the bad guy is no longer drawing on anyone.

• Like 4

T&P

I wouldn't put too much thought into this. It's a pleasantry that's common in our society, used when there's not much else to say to comfort somebody. I've seen guys who I'm pretty sure are atheists say this. My dad had brain surgery recently, people were saying this to me left and right. I mean, what else are they going to say that's even remotely appropriate?
How about, "I hope your dad recovers fully. Let me know if I can help."

• Like 2

I can't stand watching any of the main stream media stations. They all have an agenda.

Man I haven't had cable in years and only got a TV antenna a week ago. I only watch movies, netflix, or read online news reports. Seeing commercials or news anchors at all is an odd experience for us.

That would translate to "I hope these guys who got shot get better, oh wait, they're dead, um, I hope the families get over it soon enough". Yeah, "our thoughts and prayers" probably works better. Just not much else to say here.

• Like 1

Hey Mercedes - my sons a cop and was involved in a home related domestic shooting where he was drawn on by the "bad guy"

This past week end there was a domestic disturbance a few houses from where my son lives.  The couple was outside with the police when somehow the husband got back into the house.  The husband fired at his wife hitting one of the policemen in the back.  His jacket saved his life as well as that of the wife.  Coincidentally, that particular police officer used to be one of my employees years ago.  The jackets are about $800 apiece and have to be discarded after 5 years.  They certainly don't wear them for looks around here.

• Like 1

The key words in "main stream media" are main stream. It represents the pulse of America. It's a mirror held up to our faces. If it wasn't, they would not be making huge profits.

That's why I watch it. It's my informal sociology study. It's placing my stethoscope on the heart. If I want real scholarly studies, I read books.

The key words in "main stream media" are main stream. It represents the pulse of America. It's a mirror held up to our faces. If it wasn't, they would not be making huge profits.

That's why I watch it. It's my informal sociology study. It's placing my stethoscope on the heart. If I want real scholarly studies, I read books.

A lot of people don't realize that even this forum is reflective of the pulse of America.  Just look at us. Bickering, incoherent, petty, word-parsing...  And we blame the media.  Go figure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A lot of people don't realize that even this forum is reflective of the pulse of America.  Just look at us. Bickering, incoherent, petty, word-parsing...  And we blame the media.  Go figure.

I don't bicker!!!! You are the one bickering!!!!!!!!  :P    ;)

Edited by xxJPMxx
  • Like 1

Technical shop talk is one thing, but it seems that most any spirited talk that is even remotely related to difference in conservative vs. progressive mindset, can be traced back to the mass media very easily. The most hard headed people I know on both sides are absolutely addicted to it.

• Moderators

That would translate to "I hope these guys who got shot get better, oh wait, they're dead, um, I hope the families get over it soon enough". Yeah, "our thoughts and prayers" probably works better. Just not much else to say here.

Why say anything? If there isn't a problem, nothing local, state or federal government can do, why say anything?

"Our thoughts and prayers" is code for we don't need to change gun laws.

I guess one thing would be to say, "I'm not making comment on motives and the circumstances until the investigation is complete and the facts are in."

• Like 3

• Moderators

Hey Mercedes - my sons a cop and was involved in a home related domestic shooting where he was drawn on by the "bad guy"

This past week end there was a domestic disturbance a few houses from where my son lives. The couple was outside with the police when somehow the husband got back into the house. The husband fired at his wife hitting one of the policemen in the back. His jacket saved his life as well as that of the wife. Coincidentally, that particular police officer used to be one of my employees years ago. The jackets are about $800 apiece and have to be discarded after 5 years. They certainly don't wear them for looks around here.

And at smaller departments they have to purchase their own. Very difficult for some officers.

This past week end there was a domestic disturbance a few houses from where my son lives. The couple was outside with the police when somehow the husband got back into the house. The husband fired at his wife hitting one of the policemen in the back. His jacket saved his life as well as that of the wife. Coincidentally, that particular police officer used to be one of my employees years ago. The jackets are about $800 apiece and have to be discarded after 5 years. They certainly don't wear them for looks around here.

And at smaller departments they have to purchase their own. Very difficult for some officers.

I don't fault them one iota for gearing up like they do.  It certainly provides the impetus for critics when one of them goes rogue, but all in all, I don't even have the balls to be a cop.  It's a perilous job.  They should be well-armed and well-shielded.  I want law enforcement to prevail over serious criminals.

• Like 1

Further to my point above, I am impressed at how they are able to respond so quickly.  They are "Johnny on the Spot" in these types of situations.  Just like they got the Boston Marathon bombers, etc.  I don't think enough people realize just how heroic that is.  Law enforcement has really become effective at responding.  I wish we could do better at preventing.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

• Moderators

Further to my point above, I am impressed at how they are able to respond so quickly. They are "Johnny on the Spot" in these types of situations. Just like they got the Boston Marathon bombers, etc. I don't think enough people realize just how heroic that is. Law enforcement has really become effective at responding. I wish we could do better at preventing.

And there's the rub. That discussion always goes downhill real fast.

• Like 1

I don't fault them one iota for gearing up like they do.  It certainly provides the impetus for critics when one of them goes rogue, but all in all, I don't even have the balls to be a cop.  It's a perilous job.  They should be well-armed and well-shielded.  I want law enforcement to prevail over serious criminals.

Yes of course. The problem though is getting in a mindset where they treat everyone like a serious criminal, as if every neighborhood is a war zone. We are seeing this more and more. No-knocks raids where kids are getting shot in the face within seconds of barging in, flash-bangs being thrown into cribs, etc. The more you gear them up as if they're playing Call of Duty, the more this kind of mess gets out of control.

• Like 1