Klipsch Jubilee newbie seeking help please ....

joeinid

45 minutes ago, Chris A said:
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:12 PM, jazzmessengers said:

I have TAD 4001 drivers already, would these work in the K-402? They do not have the throat adapter like the TAD 4002.

You'll need a 1.5"-->2" adapter that comes from TAD or from some other source.  The K-402 throat is 2 inches diameter.

Hey Chris the TAD TD4001 is a 2" exit driver and no adapter is needed.  The 1.5" to 2" throat transition is an integral part of it's construction and not removable versus the TAD TD4002 design designed with an optional 1.5" to 2" adapter.

From what I know the main difference between these drivers is magnet material/circuit difference otherwise it appears the diaphragm/phase plug and (1.5" to 2" section when adapter is used with the TD4002) are identical. From what I've seen in some measurements and listening to them they are pretty much interchangeable on the K402 with very close if not identical performance.

miketn

Tad TD-4002.jpg

Tad TD-4001 bro.jpg

• Like 2

I was thinking that the TD-4001 has the same 1.5-2 inch throat adapter as the 4002.  If it doesn't then I yield to your knowledge.  I concur on the difference being the magnet (Alnico vs. Neodymium).  That makes the 4002 assembly much lighter, even though the 4002's magnetic flux density in the vicinity of the voice coils is actually higher.

Many instances of the similarity of the two drivers' listening performance exist on the web. 

Chris

• Like 1

Excellent, that is good to know about the TD-4001. I'll also ask Roy to see if he has any experience with them. I can't recall if they have the same high frequency extension as the TD-4002.

They are much more common to find used than the TD-4002 which is why I bought them when I was trying a JMLC horn project.

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

I think that you'd be missing the clean bass of the Jubilee bass bins.  Subwoofers that are not horn loaded have high levels of distortion in comparison.  I recommend crossing at 40 Hz instead, which I currently use, and have experimented with the crossover frequency in my listening room.  YMMV.

Chris

I am planning to do a Welti mid front wall and mid back wall setup that "destructively" eliminates room modes (along with plenty of bass traps from RPG). So this means I need subwoofers with phase controls.

The other way to achieve the same effect is to use two subwoofers, each of which is positioned in a lobe of different acoustic polarity. This means that the positive sound wave created by the subwoofer in the left, positive lobe is met by a sound wave of equal level but negative polarity created by the subwoofer in the other lobe. If you have two sound waves that are identical in frequency and level but the polarities are opposite then there will be perfect cancellation. This means that there will again not be any measurable frequency response peak or time domain ringing.

The authors built a mathematical simulation that examined the impact of a different subwoofer numbers (up to one thousand!) and placement on the MSV. The results of these simulations showed that a configuration of two or four subwoofers in a rectangular room could significantly reduce the MSV such that global equalization could be effectively employed to produce a smooth frequency response. This result is instinctively expected as an extension of the simple model we introduced last week where two subwoofers were used to destructively drive a particular room mode.

For more details follow this link to a PDF of the paper.

• 4 weeks later...

I really want to buy some 2 way Jubilee's, soon. When looking at the back of the active crossovers, the connections are completely different than what I am familiar with.  My amps only have RCA inputs. How do you hook them up ? 

With something like these from your preamp: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010CFML4/

...and with something like these to your amplifiers: https://smile.amazon.com/Single-Professional-XLR-RCA-Cable/dp/B005K5LN9C/

Chris

11 hours ago, Speed said:

I really want to buy some 2 way Jubilee's, soon. When looking at the back of the active crossovers, the connections are completely different than what I am familiar with.  My amps only have RCA inputs. How do you hook them up ? 

Dont hesitate - buy 'em. Active isn't a prerequisite with Jubes but it seems the more common configuration. Just acquired mine with Bob Crites passives and certainly have zero regrets. Now have I compared them, in my room, my amps, to active - no. 

And For a good while I don't intend to - pretty awe inspiring as is. Does "shock and awe" sound familiar?!

• Like 1

Active is nice if you swap drivers later on...  you can simply reprogram rather than disassemble and reassemble a passive. (not to mention that you can also add delay in an active but, since I'm not mentioning that, pretend you didn't just read it)

I will never down play the input from long time Jubilee owners to this 3-day Newbie. Kinda like me and turntables - just don't care to get involved with the cost and added complexity. I'm two channel only; high end CD, most generally tubes and something to produce the sound. KISS sums me up I suppose. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone says I am missing out on the last 10% of Jubilee performance using passive vs. active. And I wouldn't be surprised if they are right. But I must assume that Bob Crites optimized the Faital driver into the system for maximum playback? 

Now after a few days of listening, running through several amps I plan to give my opinion soon. And it will only be what my ears tell me, not graphs, analytics, flow charts, dispersion charts etc. That is all away above my pay scale. As I said - KISS.

And yes I epitomize the last two letters - simple, stupid.

40 minutes ago, richieb said:

Dont hesitate - buy 'em. Active isn't a prerequisite with Jubes but it seems the more common configuration. Just acquired mine with Bob Crites passives and certainly have zero regrets. Now have I compared them, in my room, my amps, to active - no. 

And For a good while I don't intend to - pretty awe inspiring as is. Does "shock and awe" sound familiar?!

Glad you love them, any pics ? I am checking prices/options now. Will go active, just hope they blow my LaScala's out of the water. 

Congrats rich!!!

Yes, please keep us up to date as you get more comfy with your new Jubs.

I started building my pair of jub-likes  a bit over 3 months ago and I am hoping to put signal through them in a day or two.

With so many either buying a pair, building a pair (in my case), and those thinking about getting a pair.

I think 2017 should be known as the Jubilee Year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speed said:

just hope they blow my LaScala's out of the water. 

As an owner of LaScalas for 38 years and Jubilee's for 10 years, I've got an educated opinion.  (I also owned Khorns for about...3-4 years)

Although I'm keeping my LaScalas, they are relegated to rear channel duty.  Jubilee's get front duty.

If you did a side by side...well...  with due respect to the LaScala, let me just say it's not pretty.  Then again, you can argue that it's not fair.  Putting up the tiny K400/K77 horns against the 2" throated K402??  Not too fair at all.  Heck, the K402 alone (if you've not seen pictures) is itself, larger in height/width than the entire LaScala.

I don't say that to bash on the LaScala, especially since I still own a pair.

If an (in competitive condition) Olympic sprinter lined up against your 8 year old son... would you expect your son to get blown out of the water?  Would you love him any less?

I sold my Khorns after hearing the Jubilee's and haven't missed them for 15 seconds since.

2 hours ago, richieb said:

K-31 ?

Yes, unless they changed the number.  As I understand, they had an issue getting them at one time.  I don't know if the manufacturer had an issue making them or if Klipsch altered the specs on what they wanted.

I do however, recall Roy saying something like the performance would be the same (or something like that)

13 minutes ago, Coytee said:

As an owner of LaScalas for 38 years and Jubilee's for 10 years, I've got an educated opinion.  (I also owned Khorns for about...3-4 years)

Although I'm keeping my LaScalas, they are relegated to rear channel duty.  Jubilee's get front duty.

If you did a side by side...well...  with due respect to the LaScala, let me just say it's not pretty.  Then again, you can argue that it's not fair.  Putting up the tiny K400/K77 horns against the 2" throated K402??  Not too fair at all.  Heck, the K402 alone (if you've not seen pictures) is itself, larger in height/width than the entire LaScala.

If an (in competitive condition) Olympic sprinter lined up against your 8 year old son... would you expect your son to get blown out of the water?  Would you love him any less?

I sold my Khorns after hearing the Jubilee's and haven't missed them for 15 seconds since.

Thanks for your honest opinions and recommendations. It's good to hear, before you drop some serious money on Jubilee's. I will keep 1 of my 2 pair of my LaScala's, ( hint-hint ) as I am attached to them.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Coytee said:

Very respectful way to answer, I love the LaScala also, but you really can't compare those two like that. Like you said as far as parts go they are to far apart to be fair, price new, that's another thing. :unsure: