Big scores on Legends AND Epics in the same week!

mattSER

So yeah, it's been a good week.

Thanks to Arrow in the "Alerts!" section, I landed a pair of mint, light oak KLF-20s for $300.

Then, just last night, scored a pair of cherry CF-3s, original owner, consecutive SNs, for $175!!

post-57978-0-26260000-1449512769_thumb.j

post-57978-0-50620000-1449512841_thumb.j

Both pairs sound great and balanced from top to bottom and side to side.

They sound very different from each other, but I can't decide which ones I like better.

Also, what can I do to shape up the veneer on the CF-3s? There are tiny scratches everywhere and it has an overall dry and pale look to a lot of it. When I wiped it down with a damp cloth, the veneer's deep, rich color came back, but mostly reverted after drying.

Is this something that can be simply treated with a can of pledge? What type of product would be recommended for this?

Thanks guys!

• Like 3

For rejuvenating I use 0000 steel wool and Old English lemon oil ($3.50/bottle@Walmart) work it into a slurry and it will fill a lot of the scratches if they aren't too deep. That might take 3-5 coats depending on how dry they are. After that, once a week for a month and then every month thereafter

Mark

• Like 1

LUCK!! Nice score very interested in what your thoughts will be once you have had them for awhile. I have never had any of the EPIC series owned a set of KLF 20's and they got moved on once I got a set of Chorus 2's. I'm wanting to try som KLF 30's and the EPIC series next.

Well guys, at least someone is benefitting from my search & shares.

I'm sure there are others still sharing their finds offsite by PM, as long as they don't fit their needs.

Anyway, I would've thought those 20's would be more desirable due to being a 3-way set up.

But with the woofer size, huge horn, and front ports I can see how the CF-3's call out to some.

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 1

Well guys, at least someone is benefiting from my search & shares.

I'm sure B is still sharing his finds offsite by PM, as long as they don't fit his needs.

Anyway, I would've thought those 20's would be more desirable due to being a 3-way set up.

But with the woofer size, huge horn, and front ports I can see how the CF-3's call out to some.

Nice find!  Score another one for the Klipsch Collective! 

Some of us love our two-ways.  It takes an expensive HF driver that can really dig low and woofers that can cross over high to outperform a 3-way.  Put that together with an MTM design in a large enclosure and you end up with a sound that is accurate and dynamic.

Here is the definitive thread on the CF-3 and CF-4, authored by none other than our own Mr. kapsnb01, the Klipsch Epic Owners Group.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159405-klipsch-epic-owners-group/#entry1927200

Welcome to the club, Matt.  B)

Edited by wvu80

Thanks to Arrow in the "Alerts!" section, I landed a pair of mint, light oak KLF-20s for $300.

Then, just last night, scored a pair of cherry CF-3s, original owner, consecutive SNs, for $175!!

attachicon.gif20151206_233137.jpeg

attachicon.gif20151206_233042.jpeg

They sound very different from each other, but I can't decide which ones I like better.

Also, what can I do to shape up the veneer on the CF-3s? There are tiny scratches everywhere and it has an overall dry and pale look to a lot of it. When I wiped it down with a damp cloth, the veneer's deep, rich color came back, but mostly reverted after drying.

Is this something that can be simply treated with a can of pledge? What type of product would be recommended for this?

Thanks guys!

Howard's Restor A Finish and 0000 steel wool with the grain

Thanks for all the congrats, everyone!

I definitely feel like a lucky guy right now. It's like looking out into your garage and having to choose between your Ferrari and your Lamborghini.

So far, I think I'm leaning toward the sound of the Legends, but the killer bass from the Epics makes a strong case. And those huge horns are like giant audio magnifying glasses. The detail is insane on both models.

As far as the CF-3s veneer, went to Lowe's and found this

post-57978-0-24700000-1449561558_thumb.j

So far it's doing an amazing job. Probably going to take 3 coats like Zeus said, but it's done wonders already! The color looks great and after I clean up the grills, they're going to look amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

This pair of CF-3s does sound pretty awesome, even at a bit higher price! Nice to meet you, Matt. As I contemplate what to do with my first pair of non-DIY speakers in 15 years (well, finishing the amps is the first thing), I'm pleased to have found you guys.

Best,

Paul

It was great to meet you too, Paul!

Hope you're enjoying them as much as I was. I had no intention of "flipping" them, but I did a sub par job of managing my winter income and then those back-to-back snowstorms just killed me. You literally paid my rent!

Like I said, if you consider selling them over the summer, let me know. :-)

Welcome, Paul.

The CF-3's do enjoy a stellar reputation on this board, but as always we like to hear how they sound in your room with your AVR.

Pictures would be nice.  B)

-Dave

Edited by wvu80

As always, I'll add that I'm thoroughly happy with my v3 CF-3's and would take something major to replace them.  They've had their crossovers reworked to as close to v1 as they can, re-braced internally, the backs re-attached, horns wrapped with medical Coban (not messy/stinky whatsoever), and ports extended to 5.75".  I'll either buy or build a pair of Belle's but those will be used in a completely different room on low powered tube gear whereas my CF-3's are being ran by a completely rebuilt "BillD" Carver C-1 preamp and Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 amplifier (rated at 460 wpc).  They do love some power.

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

attachicon.gif20151206_233137.jpeg

attachicon.gif20151206_233042.jpeg

Thanks guys!

Howard's Restor A Finish and 0000 steel wool with the grain

+1 on this product. Just used it on an antique cedar chest, an antique sewing machine cabinet from 1929 and a small table. Excellent results.

...wrapped with medical Coban (not messy/stinky whatsoever), and horns extended to 5.75".

You threw me there for a second.  I was getting ready to take my CF-4's apart so I could extend my horns, just like yours.  I couldn't live with myself if my CF-4's didn't have every possible upgrade.  :rolleyes:

You had your ports extended to 5.75".  I'm with you.  B)