Emergency - My mother wants to buy a Bose soundbar!

tigerwoodKhorns

She went to Frys and that is what they wanted to sell her. 

I showed her Quintets that I have. 

She needs a receiver speakers and a sub to go with a new Sony x850 TV (so HDMI and 4K are necessary).  Budget, don't know, under $1k for everything? 

I think she should get a receiver and sub for now, and I can lend her some small surround speakers (you know, the cute ones - not Bose), until her B day in the spring. 

Any ideas?  She will probably be very happy with Quintets. 

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/ele/5316856710.html

These are near me. I could pick them up for you if you wanted and get them shipped. IF it is still there.

Or if you really wanted to get crazy:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/5338025094.html

Edited by IbizaFlame

+1 (at least!) to Minermark.

Your mother does not think like you.  She changed your diapers so there is nothing you know that she didn't know first.  And besides, the polite young man at Frys was very nice to her.  It would help you to know that manners goes a long way when making a speaker purchase, so please take note, your mother probably thinks you could visit a little more often if you really cared.

But I digress.

Whatever you suggest to her, even one more button is confusing.  Don't argue with me, please just accept that this is true.  She would really like it if she could it the "on" button and everything simply worked.  It's your job to make that happen.

I would suggest some kind of powered speakers connected to the headphones out jack of the TV.  If that's a soundbar, then so be it.  If you can get HDMI to do that, then we are really in business here.

I know most of us audio nerds all like to gang up on Bose, but they make a product a lot of people like.  I would say if you could steer her towards a sound bar with better sound for the same money, then you have done your job. 

Doesn't Klipsch make a sound bar?  B)

http://www.klipsch.com/soundbars

R-10B_635397415804530000_medium.jpg

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

She went to Frys and that is what they wanted to sell her. 

I showed her Quintets that I have. 

She needs a receiver speakers and a sub to go with a new Sony x850 TV (so HDMI and 4K are necessary).  Budget, don't know, under $1k for everything? 

I think she should get a receiver and sub for now, and I can lend her some small surround speakers (you know, the cute ones - not Bose), until her B day in the spring. 

Any ideas?  She will probably be very happy with Quintets. 

She wouldn't need a Budget if you bought everything for her.

Your poor old mom sacrificed so much for you...go ahead---buy her the BOSE.

• Like 2

Your mother does not think like you.  She changed your diapers so there is nothing you know that she didn't know first.  And besides, the polite young man at Frys was very nice to her.  It would help you to know that manners goes a long way when making a speaker purchase, so please take note, your mother probably thinks you could visit a little more often if you really cared.

But I digress.

Whatever you suggest to her, even one more button is confusing.  Don't argue with me, please just accept that this is true.  She would really like it if she could it the "on" button and everything simply worked.  It's your job to make that happen.

I would suggest some kind of powered speakers connected to the headphones out jack of the TV.  If that's a soundbar, then so be it.  If you can get HDMI to do that, then we are really in business here.

I know most of us audio nerds all like to gang up on Bose, but they make a product a lot of people like.  I would say if you could steer her towards a sound bar with better sound for the same money, then you have done your job. 

I thought about just saying go w/Bose, in some circles it's fine and im sure it does a good job.

Thinking about the simple control of, everything comes on when you power up the TV, is what really makes sense.

If Bose does that, what the hell. 

But I digress.

This is called wisdom!

• Like 2

+1 (at least!) to Minermark.   Your mother does not think like you.  She changed your diapers so there is nothing you know that she didn't know first.  And besides, the polite young man at Frys was very nice to her.  It would help you to know that manners goes a long way when making a speaker purchase, so please take note, your mother probably thinks you could visit a little more often if you really cared.

Dave, you understand!!!  Funny.  Laughable from a certain perspective.  And (not "but") true:  she is likely to care more about how much you "understand" her than how much you know--and how "right" you may be.

But then, what the heck, is that not how we elect most of our "leaders"?

• Like 2

Quintet's would be a good choice with a new Marantz receiver or whatever your favorite flavor is, if you need a sub check out the Sub-1200 from parts express its on sale & sounds great.

Well under your budget.

+1^

I use quintets for our den system.  I added a sub.  The sound from the center (mainly voice) is very good and the small speakers are high on the WAF.  We don't use it at high volume like the HT, but for general listening to commercial TV they work fine.  I got mine used online.  Check and I'll bet you can find some very reasonable..