RF-5 or RB-75

ClintonH

Well as I have both RF5 and RB75, I would say that sonically there is little to distinguish them. I feel the RF5 is a better speaker in the bass dept, but the difference is negligible. Feed either one of them with lots of good quality power (120wpc Luxman) and either speaker shine. I don't know which of them has the upper hand when it comes to the official specs, but in practice either would keep you happy until you got the RF7.

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 1

Just ran across some close mic measurements of the RB-75, doesn't come very close to the spec sheet on sensitivity.

Sensitivity averages 92.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

Keep in mind that the RB-75 crosses over from the woofer to the horn tweeter at 2kHz so S&V's test may be a bit skewed.  In other words, only the woofer is being utilized in the test.  What about the sensitivity average from 2kHz on up to it's limit around 20kHz?

Just something to note.

Scratch everything I have said in this post if I have no clue about measuring sensitivity. :unsure:

Bill

Edited by willland

Just ran across some close mic measurements of the RB-75, doesn't come very close to the spec sheet on sensitivity.

Keep in mind that the RB-75 crosses over from the woofer to the horn tweeter at 2kHz so S&V's test may be a bit skewed.  In other words, only the woofer is being utilized in the test.  What about the sensitivity average from 2kHz on up to it's limit around 20kHz?

Just something to note.

Scratch everything I have said in this post if I have no clue about measuring sensitivity. :unsure:

Bill

I'm pretty sure the mic is picking up the CD as well since it graphs the full range and you can even see the crossover point.

doesn't come very close to the spec sheet on sensitivity.
pretty common among all klipsch except for cinema and heritage lines.  

I knew they stretched the truth a bit and measure a different way to "pad" the measurements but I wasn't aware it was that much. That's 4.5dB which is pretty huge IMO, I'm guessing this is a good reason to go DIY rather than buy into the hype. <_<  Wish the drivers looked better in the DIY stuff, I just really like the look of th Klipsch but might be time to jump ship.

Well I can say I love the RF-5 sound, that's with an F as in FRANK. I bought my RF-5's new around 2001 and have upgraded everything in my system since but I have never felt the need to change my RF-5's, I love their natural sound. They just have kept sounding better and better as I have fine tuned my system around them. I prefer them to the RF-63, I never really cared that much for the RF-63 / RF-83 models. The RF-7 is just larger than I really want and I don't feel it is has the natural balanced sound that I love in the RF-5. I find the RF-5 has been the perfect speaker for me, I don't want a big sound, I want a natural and well refined sound and my RF-5's have been perfect. When setup with a system that works well with them they really perform very good, but if not they won't.

Keep in mind that the RB-75 crosses over from the woofer to the horn tweeter at 2kHz so S&V's test may be a bit skewed. In other words, only the woofer is being utilized in the test. What about the sensitivity average from 2kHz on up to it's limit around 20kHz?

Just something to note.

Bill

I'm pretty sure the mic is picking up the CD as well since it graphs the full range and you can even see the crossover point.

doesn't come very close to the spec sheet on sensitivity.

pretty common among all klipsch except for cinema and heritage lines.

I knew they stretched the truth a bit and measure a different way to "pad" the measurements but I wasn't aware it was that much. That's 4.5dB which is pretty huge IMO, I'm guessing this is a good reason to go DIY rather than buy into the hype. <_< Wish the drivers looked better in the DIY stuff, I just really like the look of th Klipsch but might be time to jump ship.

pm sent

my 2 cents is this, which one will fit better? do you already have shelves on the front stage or is it a blank wall where you would need to either mount to buy/make a speaker stand?

you can upgrade the crossover on both so that's a wash.....

unless you are putting them in a true HT room with acoustic built walls, it will be hard to hear the difference.

good luck with the decision (oh side note...picking up/ moving the RB-75's are easier than the RF-5's, just say'n...)

my 2 cents is this, which one will fit better? do you already have shelves on the front stage or is it a blank wall where you would need to either mount to buy/make a speaker stand?

you can upgrade the crossover on both so that's a wash.....

unless you are putting them in a true HT room with acoustic built walls, it will be hard to hear the difference.

good luck with the decision (oh side note...picking up/ moving the RB-75's are easier than the RF-5's, just say'n...)

They would be going in a already setup (8 years now) home theater that run Rc-35/RF-35's

Odd question but for anyone that has had these which would you choose for the front stage on a HT setup? I found a set of both and the price is within $50 for the pair either or, ($600 USD)

I know they are both fairly good in there own right, I've never heard either and I am not sure a bookself would even be up to the task. These will be run with 3 JLW7 subs so 100hz and below isn't a issue.

no doubt the RF5 which has larger horn (same as the FR7 largest in the RF series) much greater range and dynamic capability. No contest between the two.

Odd question but for anyone that has had these which would you choose for the front stage on a HT setup? I found a set of both and the price is within $50 for the pair either or, ($600 USD)

I know they are both fairly good in there own right, I've never heard either and I am not sure a bookself would even be up to the task. These will be run with 3 JLW7 subs so 100hz and below isn't a issue.

no doubt the RF5 which has larger horn (same as the FR7 largest in the RF series) much greater range and dynamic capability. No contest between the two.

The RB-75 and the RF-5 use the same size horn actually both 8", the RB-75 has a better/larger CD where the RF-5 has a tweeter similar to the RF-82 just mated with the larger 8" horn.

You can probably find RF-5's cheaper than the RB-75's as well.  I'd go with the 5's, they're great speakers.

No not here in Canada you can't, I have only ever found 2 sets for sale this is the cheapest I have found a set and they are $50 more than the RB-75's. Niether of these come up for sale here often, I see them all the time in the US but that means less than zero since they wont ship and if they did the cost of shipping is more than what a guy pays for the speakers.

The RB-75 and the RF-5 use the same size horn actually both 8", the RB-75 has a better/larger CD where the RF-5 has a tweeter similar to the RF-82 just mated with the larger 8" horn.

my bad then I was mistaken then thinking the FR5 was the only other speaker that the RF7/7-ll which had the same horn. That being the case if you want to keep things stock go with the RB75. If you want to have it all buy both and switch out the horn/drivers use the bookshelf elsewhere in the system.

To the OP, if it were me I'd want em both, if the price was right. The rf5 in my same room was a better sounding speak than the rf82ll. This is a slightly difficult room that it finally took the klf30 to overpower room effect. The rf83, which I owned two different times could not even tame the room.

To the OP, if it were me I'd want em both, if the price was right. The rf5 in my same room was a better sounding speak than the rf82ll. This is a slightly difficult room that it finally took the klf30 to overpower room effect. The rf83, which I owned two different times could not even tame the room.

Not really they are $800 USD for the pair plus shipping. That would would be around $1800 or a bit better for both pairs shipped I am guessing

I'm guessing this is a good reason to go DIY rather than buy into the hype. <_<Wish the drivers looked better in the DIY stuff, I just really like the look of th Klipsch but might be time to jump ship.

What do you mean?  Not challenging you, I'm just not sure to what you are referring. :)

I think I've seen you on AVS.com.  Do you frequent the DIY section?  There are plenty of DIY True Believers there with regards to horn driven DIY kits.  B)

I'm guessing this is a good reason to go DIY rather than buy into the hype. <_<Wish the drivers looked better in the DIY stuff, I just really like the look of th Klipsch but might be time to jump ship.

What do you mean?  Not challenging you, I'm just not sure to what you are referring. :)

I think I've seen you on AVS.com.  Do you frequent the DIY section?  There are plenty of DIY True Believers there with regards to horn driven DIY kits.  B)

I do go there mostly focused on the Sub builds since I just built 3 JLW7 subs, 2 13.5" and one 12" which is why I need to upgrade the fronts now. lol Vicious circle.

And what I mean by drivers is I really like the copper/brass look and finish on the Klipsch, the DIY stuff looks like pro speakers (which is what they are) Nothign wrong with them, they have far better specs than the Klipsch just looks are not that great. I like to run my stuff bare no grilles so as much as it shouldn't make a difference (looks) it does for me.

I can build them fine just can't change the looks of the acutal drivers, pics of 2 of the subs I have built.

9212015144718_zpsftsaqzph.jpg

Sub_2_zpswzdtbl4a.jpg