How The World Works

Jim Naseum

I can recognize the art of R&R without having to experience it or even approve of its true meaning, right?

Example: The year was 1974 and I was 11 years old. Jim Stafford had a hit on the radio "Wildwood Weed". I really liked it at the time. This song was about discovering marijuana on the farm and getting high, etc. My mom explained the song to my brothers and me. Told us how marijuana was illegal and to stay away from it. The song wasn't banned from our radio or anything else, yet my mom didn't approve of its meaning. I turned out ok lol. 

• Like 1

I can recognize the art of R&R without having to experience it or even approve of its true meaning, right?

Example: The year was 1974 and I was 11 years old. Jim Stafford had a hit on the radio "Wildwood Weed". I really liked it at the time. This song was about discovering marijuana on the farm and getting high, etc. My mom explained the song to my brothers and me. Told us how marijuana was illegal and to stay away from it. The song wasn't banned from our radio or anything else, yet my mom didn't approve of its meaning. I turned out ok lol.

What rock groups do you favor today? Do you buy their records?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

It's easier to find songs about alcohol, drugs and general bad behavior in the C&W genre.

The C&W genre is not about rebellion, anti-establishment, revolution and drugs, however. It is about redemption, patriotism and another subject which can't be mentioned here.  

"Lyrics" are a product OF the art form. They are not the philosophical underpinnings of the genre. Is it actually possible that most fans of the rock genre don't understand it's artistic foundations? What fuels it? Don't understand the phrase, "That's so Rock and Roll!" 

I think so.

Funny you should ask. Been listening to a lot of Amy Winehouse lately. Go figure as I don't do Blow or Puff. As for buying, my wife buys the music around here and did buy Amy's "Frank" album recently off Amazon.

Other artists I like are Amos Lee, Rita Ora, Bill Withers, Bill Evans, Norah Jones. Count Basie.

The C&W genre is not about rebellion, anti-establishment, revolution and drugs, however. It is about redemption, patriotism and another subject which can't be mentioned here.

I'll Never Smoke Weed With Willy Again

Copperhead Road

Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw

Take This Job And Shove It

She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft

I'll be typing all day if I just wrote off the top of my head, and that's without any David Alan Coe included.

• Like 1

People who write music write about what they know and live.  There's good and bad just as in real life.  You're reading way too much into how much influence it has on our day to day behavior.   It's entertainment.  I like to watch football but don't go around hitting people.

Funny you should ask. Been listening to a lot of Amy Winehouse lately. Go figure as I don't do Blow or Puff. As for buying, my wife buys the music around here and did buy Amy's "Frank" album recently off Amazon.

Other artists I like are Amos Lee, Rita Ora, Bill Withers, Bill Evans, Norah Jones. Count Basie.

I presume therefore, that when you like Amy Winehouse, you are enjoying songs like "Alcohol Logic"? I'm just trying to understand how people operate on this.

I'll Never Smoke Weed With Willy Again

Copperhead Road

Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw

Take This Job And Shove It

She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft

I'll be typing all day if I just wrote off the top of my head, and that's without any David Alan Coe included.

Once more, you are nominating songs, without considering the ethics and values of the genre. Where do all the patriotic songs come from, C&W musicians, or Rock musicians? Where did all the protest songs come from during the Civil Rights era - C&W or Rock? Are you actually going to argue that you don't see anti-establishment values in Rock and Roll, and patriotic values in C&W? 

Are C&W stars typically found in drug fueled orgies, or is it more likely to find Rock stars? Do C&W stars destroy their equipment on stage as a rage against the system, or would that be Rock stars? 

At least now, we are uncovering the way people operate. That's good.

Which genre is almost exclusively anti-war? Country music or rock?

Which is almost exclusively pro-war? Country or Rock?

Which genre is highly sensitive to global warming? Country or Rock?

Which genre almost exclusively espouses conservative values? Country or Rock?

Which genre almost exclusively espouses worship of the unmentionable on this forum? Country or Rock?

Is the difference in ethos still unclear?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Which genre is almost exclusively anti-war? Country music or rock?

Which is almost exclusively pro-war? Country or Rock?

Which genre is highly sensitive to global warming? Country or Rock?

Which genre almost exclusively espouses conservative values? Country or Rock?

Which genre almost exclusively espouses worship of the unmentionable on this forum? Country or Rock?

Is the difference in ethos still unclear?

Does any of this really matter?

• Like 1

Are C&W stars typically found in drug fueled orgies

Yes, they have been orgies on the tour busses.

or is it more likely to find Rock stars

They do it too.

Where did all the protest songs come from during the Civil Rights era - C&W or Rock?

Neither. Folk music was the genre of choice for most protest music back then. Dylan, Baez, Pete Seeger, etc. 

Are you actually going to argue that you don't see anti-establishment values in Rock and Roll, and patriotic values in C&W?

Well, there are certainly anti-establishment C&W songs, and patriotic Rock songs also.

Are C&W stars typically found in drug fueled orgies

Yes, they have been orgies on the tour busses.

or is it more likely to find Rock stars

They do it too.

Where did all the protest songs come from during the Civil Rights era - C&W or Rock?

Neither. Folk music was the genre of choice for most protest music back then. Dylan, Baez, Pete Seeger, etc. 

Are you actually going to argue that you don't see anti-establishment values in Rock and Roll, and patriotic values in C&W?

Well, there are certainly anti-establishment C&W songs, and patriotic Rock songs also.

So for you, there is no difference in the genres.

Let's see what more discriminating fans think. I think the difference is night and day, and would hope that people who claim to be "music lovers" know a little bit more about the art forms they are involved with. but, maybe not? Maybe it's all just noise in the ear?

You're getting a window into her life like reading a book.

Definately part of the equation. Also like visiting with the artist.

When you visit, are you having feelings of admiration? Pity? Scorn? What?

Depends on the artist and the song. 

You don't have to agree with the artists message to admire their artistry or instrument.

• Like 2