Is bigger always better with Klipsch Speakers?

BobK

I've always had the opinion that bigger is better.  Think of a car engine.  A large (strong) car engine will get your car up to speed easier than a small weak engine.  Would you prefer a V8 in your Chevrolet or would you prefer a VW engine in the same car?

Oh I love car comparisons. :)  So, would you rather have a big AMC 360 V8 or a dinky little 3.6L Pentastar V6?   :)  The little one is either about equal or far superior to the big one in most every way.  Generally speaking, bigger is not always better.  How smart the final design is makes a difference.  

You forget the big reason to take the 360 V8 over the 3.6 V6 is torque…………..and that says it all!

Why are you comparing an AMC turd engine and an 3.6L turd Chrysler here?

Oh, and Dr. Morbius, if you want torque, put a tractor engine or a Cummins in stock form in your Hot Rod, and see how much fun that is?

If we are going to compare, lets compare a 255 cu inch DOHC Ford! Now there is an air pump of beauty, with almost no torque at all down low. But intake ports between the cam banks, how sexy is that?

:wub:  :wub:  :)

Roger

I've always had the opinion that bigger is better.  Think of a car engine.  A large (strong) car engine will get your car up to speed easier than a small weak engine.  Would you prefer a V8 in your Chevrolet or would you prefer a VW engine in the same car?

Oh I love car comparisons. :)  So, would you rather have a big AMC 360 V8 or a dinky little 3.6L Pentastar V6?   :)  The little one is either about equal or far superior to the big one in most every way.  Generally speaking, bigger is not always better.  How smart the final design is makes a difference.  

Comparing old tech car engines with new tech ones shows how much engine designs have improved over the years.  As it happens, my vehicle has a 2012 Pentastar 3.6 litre engine, and I'm very impressed with it.  In spite of having 103 more horsepower than the 1998 3.8 V-6 it replaced (283 hp vs 180 hp), it uses about 25% less fuel.  Put another way, the 3.8 would run about 8 hours on a full tank in mixed city/highway driving, while the 3.6 runs for about 10-1/2 hours on the same amount of fuel.  That seems almost like magic.  The lovely snarl it makes on its way to its 6400 rpm shift point is just a bonus.

That said, those are apples and oranges, so the comparison is irrelevant to this discussion.  With Klipsch speakers of a given family (Reference, Heritage, Palladium, and so on), to allow us to say "all else being equal", it seems clear that bigger is almost always better.

Can you name a pair of Klipsch speakers of a single family that show the smaller speaker sounding better than the bigger one?

Yes, I can :)

The Forte'II seems to have a slightly better following than the Chorus II

Roger

• Like 1

There's Klipschorns, and everything else.  There is nothing that beats a Klipschorn in size, price, and performance.  PWK said it, I hear it, that settles it.

Dave

I would disagree Dave :)

New, Jubilee is cheaper than new Klipschorns, yet sounds better to my ears!

A k-69 / K-402 sitting on top of a used MWM Double bin is a lot cheaper than jubilee and trumps the Jubilee in sound.

I have less in the actual KP-600 stacks than I did in my used klipschorns, yet I sold my klipschorns in a second when I first heard the KP-600s

Exceptions to everything ;0

roger

• Like 2

Seems like many people are missing out on the big speaker experience, I was.  

I remember way way back in HS one of my friends older brother saved and saved and got a pair of huge klipsch speakers.   Not sure the model, it was early 80s   All I remember was they had a huge woofer and horns and sounded big and clear.

Many years and speakers later (all small ones) there was always something missing, sure they were clear but they were missing something.    I'm liking these Chorus Speakers they have that sound that was missing from the smaller speakers.

Yes I have a V8 in my LR too.  

I sent an E mail to Fiat/Chrysler stating that they need a 750CC aluminum Hemi V8 with all the stuff that gets 40 MPG but they just don't pay me no nevermind.

JJK

Honda made a motorcycle in the early 80s that was a 750cc aluminum hemi V8, actually it was a V4 with oval pistons, but the World Superbike promoters called it a V8 so Honda wasn't able to race it. It is called a NR750, around 75k new, extremely rare now.

There's Klipschorns, and everything else.  There is nothing that beats a Klipschorn in size, price, and performance.  PWK said it, I hear it, that settles it.

Dave

A k-69 / K-402 sitting on top of a used MWM Double bin is a lot cheaper than jubilee and trumps the Jubilee in sound.

I have less in the actual KP-600 stacks than I did in my used klipschorns, yet I sold my klipschorns in a second when I first heard the KP-600s

roger

This would seem to be a very revealing post about what constitutes admirable SQ for the fan.

I'd say it's really all about integration.  A poorly integrated system with great speakers can sound bad, while a well integrated system with less than great speakers can sound fantastic.  I've heard a poorly setup system costing well over $100k that my most modest system would beat.

• Like 1

Dave

roger

This would seem to be a very revealing post about what constitutes admirable SQ for the fan.

Exactly!

I have always been for Sound Quality over the fact of how a speaker may look :)

Roger

• Like 1

Paradoxically, Klipsch engineers keep making the product smaller.

You're probably talking about their other entry-level products, but the main speaker series' keep getting bigger actually.

The RP-160 is bigger and deeper than any previous 6" RB, and the R-15m is bigger than all previous 5" Synergy bookshelf.

The RF-7ii isn't as tall as the older RF-83, but overall cabinet volume is much larger than the 83 and original RF-7. RF-3 has also steadily grown in cabinet volume over the generations.

You're probably talking about their other entry-level products, but the main speaker series' keep getting bigger actually.

The RP-160 is bigger and deeper than any previous 6" RB, and the R-15m is bigger than all previous 5" Synergy bookshelf.

The RF-7ii isn't as tall as the older RF-83, but overall cabinet volume is much larger than the 83 and original RF-7. RF-3 has also steadily grown in cabinet volume over the generations.

But all of those are smaller than the Klipschorn, no? I was just challenging the adage of big is better by using the engineers. 

no the marketing department keep making the product smaller for a host of reasons the customer being number one. The Engineering department is run/funded by the market/sales department.

You need to compare old to newer before you decide which is better. It sounds like you may be assuming that new smaller equals better. Better for sales or better for sound they are two different things.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

Small studio monitors on a desk may be able to create a sense of space better than a gigantic speaker in that same space.

Say has anybody put their khorns on their desk? I betcha they sounds awesome. Won't work on mine because my desk is only sixty inches wide. Well, maybe with a little overhang, since each khorns about 31 inches wide.  Toed in properly, there might be enough room left on the desk for a legal pad.

When it comes to Klipsch. Go large or go home.

• Like 1

no the marketing department keep making the product smaller for a host of reasons the customer being number one. The Engineering department is run/funded by the market/sales department.

You need to compare old to newer before you decide which is better. It sounds like you may be assuming that new smaller equals better. Better for sales or better for sound they are two different things.

All you've got to do to confirm this is think back to the look on your woman's face the first time you dragged in a Klipsch Cornwall, Khorn, LaScala or Belle.  :)

Wb

• Like 1

All you've got to do to confirm this is think back to the look on your woman's face the first time you dragged in a Klipsch Cornwall, Khorn, LaScala or Belle.  :)

Wb

The look on my wifes face when i brought my Chorus II's home from Simply Stereo was a Kodak moment for sure.

No sex for weeks though that was pretty normal if i recall.

• Like 1