Official Forum Snow Gage-Snowmageddon II

thebes

By far. 

I think the news this AM reported that 29 people have already died from this snow storm. That would be a lot for a US earthquake. The Northridge quake killed around 50. And maybe 10 more for the Loma Prieta.

But, quite apart from the direct risk of death is just the living conditions issue of convenience, comfort, access, cost and so on. 

This reminds me of the winter of 1979, i was just a kid and we were jumping out of my friends second story window into the 8 foot snow drifts.

Grandma's neighbor had a jacked up 4x4 with huge tires and remember even he gave up and had to shovel his way out of the skinny Chicago side street.

Pick your poison...

Northeast - Snow, heat and humidity

Southeast - Heat, humidity, torrential rain, flooding

Gulf Coast - Hurricanes, flooding, tornadoes

Midwest - Heat, humidity, snow, tornadoes, flooding

Southwest - Scorching heat, tornadoes, wind

California - earthquakes, no water, freeways

Pacific NW - Earthquakes, volcanoes, rain, flooding

Alaska - earthquakes, volcanoes, flooding, snow, cold, wind 

This reminds me of the winter of 1979, i was just a kid and we were jumping out of my friends second story window into the 8 foot snow drifts.

Grandma's neighbor had a jacked up 4x4 with huge tires and remember even he gave up and had to shovel his way out of the skinny Chicago side street.

Could this be the blizzard of 1978? I remember that well. We were off from school for 2 weeks :D

The thing with most earthquakes at least here in Southern California, is the fact that a single event usually only lasts around 5 or 10 seconds, if that.   Then it's over.  I get more house shaking going on from the Marines at Camp Pendleton dropping bombs and blowing stuff up off in the distance.   

• Like 1

Could this be the blizzard of 1978? I remember that well. We were off from school for 2 weeks :D

The big blizzards in Chicago were 1967 & 1979.

The 1967 blizzard occurred a little before i was born but i do remember my family talking about it when the 79 blizzard was happening.

Could have been in part of late 1978 i would guess, i can't remember myself.

Actually, in California the disasters to worry about are not earthquakes - it is fires, followed by mudslides, and they usually come in that order. In terms of lives at stake, sure a truly huge earthquake could kill thousands, but they are on a rarity scale of hundreds of years, or at least dozens. Fire and mudslide is annual, and accounts for huge property losses. 

The 1967 blizzard occurred a little before i was born but i do remember my family talking about it when the 79 blizzard was happening.

Great Blizzard of 1978
Occasion

The Great Blizzard of 1978, also known as the White Hurricane, was a historic winter storm that struck the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes from Wednesday, January 25 through Friday, January 27, 1978. Wikipedia

Great Blizzard of 1978
Occasion

The Great Blizzard of 1978, also known as the White Hurricane, was a historic winter storm that struck the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes from Wednesday, January 25 through Friday, January 27, 1978. Wikipedia

Not the same storm, we only received a foot or so of snow in that round.

The Chicago blizzard i was talking about was much worse than that and closed down the city for days.

Chicago blizzard of 1979

Great Blizzard of 1978
Occasion

Not the same storm, we only received a foot or so of snow in that round.

The Chicago blizzard i was talking about was much worse than that and closed down the city for days.

Chicago blizzard of 1979

Was that your storm that got your Mayor in some kind of trouble? I don't remember why.

I was living in the dorms of Illinois Institute of Technology from 75 to 78. IIT has several iconic buildings designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Mostly black steel and glass. Of course Chicago has lots of snow and subzero temperatures even in normal years.

My recall is that there was snowfall during winter break. The campus was running a skeleton crew because of that and snow drifts piled up among the MvdR buildings.

When the storm cleared the situation on campus was very pretty with mountainous, curved drifts up against the square black steel buildings and a deep blue sky. It was very cold in part because the clear blue sky allows radiation cooling. I think that was not the 78 storm because I recall it being earlier in January.

The big one was in 79. Actually several storms. The amount of snow was not the big issue. Rather, temperatures stayed below zero F. for several weeks. Rock salt, as used on streets, was ineffective.

It is my understanding that the zero on the Fahrenheit scale is established by a saturated brine solution. It just shows how much of snow removal is actually the use of salt to melt it so it can run down to the sewers.

WMcD

More images

Great Blizzard of 1978

Occasion