My first Klipsch speakers!

SoundMind66

Just ordered my first pair of Klipsch speakers today!!! SOOOO EXCITED!!!! I ordered RP 160M for a 2 channel bedroom system. My next purchase will be a receiver. I have been researching and i need at least one coaxial and optical input, I'd also like to have a phono input, WIFI would be nice but not necessary and i like app control so i can control the amp with my phone but again not absolutely necessary. Of course i would like good quality DAC's and good quality power. I am favoring 2 receivers, Harman Kardon HK3770 and the Onkyo TX-8160 both on paper seem to be a great fit, both great names in audio. The Onkyo is pretty new, no reviews yet and the HK has been around for a while but i haven't seen many reviews. The one review i read on the HK was good but the new Onkyo is so well rounded, it has a Asahi Kasei AK4452 DAC 384K/32 bit,  i'm not familiar with that seems to handle every audio format available (Apple Lossless, DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz, Dolby TrueHD, FLAC 192/24, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, WMA) which i use many of these. Also has a Front USB input for my flash drives. My only issue with the Onkyo is some of the random older av and stereo reviews have mentioned software problems and some crashing issues. Anyone own or familiar with either one of these receivers? I've never owned either brand so i'm not biased in anyway and i am open other suggestions in and around the $399 to $499.99 price range. Thank you for any opinions or suggestions.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Klipsch's! I've read the 160's sound really nice but have yet to hear them for myself. I've been out of the loop on new receivers for quite some time now but I'm sure others will chime in, good luck!

• Like 1

SoundMind66,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not heard the RP160M's but have heard really great things about them.

The Onkyo TX-8160 seems to be a newer version of the TX-8050(Integra DTM-40.4) and sure appears to have some great features.  I absolutely love the synergy of my Integra DTM-40.4 and Klipsch Heresy IIs and have no plans anytime soon of breaking up the combo.  

Another network stereo receiver option would be the Yamaha R-N500 which does appear to a bit more hefty(21.6lbs) vs the TX-8160(18.3lbs) if that matters to you.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn500bl/yamaha-r-n500-80watts-x-2ch-stereo-receiver-with-networking-and-airplay/1.html

Or the newest Yamaha network stereo receiver R-N602.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn602bl/yamaha-r-n602-network-stereo-receiver-wi-fi-bluetooth-musiccast/1.html#!specifications

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the system.  Most of the 32 bit DAC's in the new avr's are pretty good.  I would pick an avr that has all the feature that you like.  Don't discard all the added features: I never thought that I would use all the features in my having but, have expanded to use more of them.  If you don't have the features, you can't use them or know how nice some of them really are.

• Like 1

Most of the 32 bit DAC's in the new avr's are pretty good.  I would pick an avr that has all the feature that you like.

Derrick,

I think the OP is looking for a stereo receiver not a multichannel AVR but I could be mistaken.

Bill 

• Like 1

Derrick, I think the OP is looking for a stereo receiver not a multichannel AVR but I could be mistaken. Bill

My mistake in wording.  The ability of the 32 bit DAC's  in a stereo receiver  should be pretty good and I would base my purchase off the other features.

• Like 1

Congrats on the RP-160s! They're quite excellent.

I've also been shopping around for a stereo receiver with the DAC being of main concern.

I've narrowed it down to:

PS Audio Sprout

Teac AI-301DA and AI-501DA

Peachtree Decco 65

NAD D3020

I think I'm going with the Teac 501, but you may want to check some of those out. They're all small 2-ch integrated amps with great DACs and decent power.

• Like 2

Are you using subs?  If so, consider an AVR for the superior bass management capability.  I like the slim line Marantz AVRs for such duty.  They have front L and R pre-outs in the unlikely case you need to add a more powerful amp.  If you won't be using a sub and have no plans to do so, go straight for one of those cool neo-retro networking, dac equipped Yamaha receivers.

• Like 2

Thanks derrickdj1, Matthews, mattSER, Ceptorman, oldred.

Derrickdj1, I agree, most of the well established audio names will sound good, and i love learning of new features and how i can benefit from them. Thanks mattSER, I think i looked at most of them and i think they are all great performance choices but if i remember correctly, most of them were missing some key features that i wanted. Ski Bum, i love deep bass and i listen a little bit of everything but budget and space is my limiting factor now. I'm not sure of the dimension of my room off hand but it's not really big so maybe with combination of the bass extension from the RP 160M and room gain may give me plenty of bass for now. Yes willland suggested checking out yamaha as well. I like the R-N602 and i really like the A-S801 with the ESS SABRE DAC even though its way past my initial budget.