What my life as an academic is actually like...

The History Kid

To resurrect this thread, since the whole premise of it was based off of one thing that happened today: presentation day...and...

I TOTALLY BOTCHED IT.

Seriously, it was by far, the worst presentation I have ever given. Not entirely because of the fact that the info wasn't there, but the character's story built too slowly, matured too quickly at the end, and to boot...I was dead tired and sick. Let the record show that after setting a precedent as someone who presents marvelously...I totally botched it and set a new low to my standard.

God bless it...

I was/am totally depressed about it. The only saving grace is that it's only 10% of the grade, and any points there (I wouldn't expect higher than a 70) will buffer it. I'm fine in all other aspects of the class at least, so there's that.

The thing that really bums me out though is that this was the first solo pres I had done at this institution, and the class had the department chair sitting in it. Meanwhile just a few days ago I was in her office talking about my Capstone project and how "presentations are a reflection of the individual." Ugh...

Should have just stayed home instead of going in today. There were plenty of others that needed to present today that didn't get to, and I was totally sick as could be.

• Like 1

I honestly think this class is miscategorized too as it seems to be more to the tune of a Literary course, not Art History. Truthfully the name of it even threw me off, as I was expecting more of a cryptic kind of course.

At any rate, I suppose one screw up is to be expected St the undergrad level, and even this screw up I managed to limp through.

The thing that really bums me out though is that this was the first solo pres I had done at this institution, and the class had the department chair sitting in it. Meanwhile just a few days ago I was in her office talking about my Capstone project and how "presentations are a reflection of the individual." Ugh...

Should have just stayed home instead of going in today. There were plenty of others that needed to present today that didn't get to, and I was totally sick as could be.

It could have went worse. I had a kid in grade school that got so nervous about having to read a chapter out loud in front of the class that he pissed himself!

I'm sorry to hear that it did not go well.

Let me say that giving presentation and appearing before people is not something anyone does the first time. Everyone gets a bit of stage fright. One of my first times in college I was shaking and had to hold on to the podium. That passed.

You must rehearse. First in private and then before friends. One instructor suggested that the friends interrupt and insult the speaker. "You're funny looking." "You don't know what you're talking about." He said, "It is your ego which makes you frightened."

I didn't try that in rehearsal but it makes sense. Later in a presentation my nominal friends did insult me from the floor. I heckled back, gracefully.

It helps if what you are saying is something you believe in and find interesting. You can use this as an opening. "I'd like to talk to you today about an insight about cave painting and modern art."

Sometimes you have to make the best of material which is forced onto you. Early in my career a boss would demand that I go before a judge and argue X and Y and Z. It made no sense and I was embarrassed. Of course boss man knew that and wouldn't go himself.

Overall, please know that you will improve with some experience. The first time is the hardest. The second is better. The third time you've got confidence.

BTW: Winston Churchill was a great writer and speaker. But he got halfway though a speech and drew a blank and said, "I've totally forgotten what I want to say." From that day on he had an outline of his speech in his pocket to refer to. So do it.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD

I agree with the rehearsal thing.  I treat life as movie, so when I have to encounter things such as this.  I relate it to a movie (if I can) then become that character.  I often take the Jordan Belfort character.   Not because of how he was intoxicated (well maybe for certain situations),  but I love his motivation.  Become a character and forget all around you, have fun with it. 

Haha...like I said, I'm usually a great presenter, it was something I was known for at Maryville. The subject matter I was presenting on this time was kind of bland, but the material I had was fine, I just wasn't feeling it though. Too much tiredness, too much sickedness, not enough energy to sell it.

If I learned anything today it's that I will never present something that really requires me to sell an idea when I don't have the energy to talk about it with myself at the time. That was the issue today, didn't even want to get out of bed.

Hmm. It could be depression from stress.

I read a book about that and was astounded how well it described my situation at the time. I did not before that see them as related.

Exercise helps. It is another thing I did not see as related, but it is somewhat of a cure.

Do one more rep grimacing, "That bastard professor."

Whoops I better get back to that, myself because I've turned into a couch potato these years.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

Do one more rep grimacing, "That bastard professor."

Actually, we had one of those at Maryville, he even had it on his office door. He used to bring a water bottle to class that said "tears of students" too. Helluva guy.

Michael - I finally got around to reading this whole thread. About being a history major - AWESOME! My dad taught at my high school, U.S. History and Civics. He was, by all accounts dry and boring, but I don't know since I didn't have him for any classes.

My best friend retired last year, history and library science major. He specialized in U.S. Civil War history, but also worked for the U.S. Army as a historian at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) in Carlisle, PA. His last few years he worked in Washington D.C. He is an amazing storyteller and researcher, and has published a few books along the way. While not exactly raking in the money, he did very well.

We need people to document where we've been, so we can get a better idea of where we are going.

Bruce

• Like 2

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"..."If I had permitted my failures, or what seemed to me at the time a lack of success to discourage me, I cannot see any way in which I ever would have made progress." --- Calvin Coolidge

• Like 2

Bruce - that's kind of what I've been hoping to do on the Rock Island Arsenal, here. Though, the Secretary of the Army is currently reviewing the status of the museum in October. Some of my instructors who work on the island don't seem to be too worried about it though, so I'm hopeful.

There were also talks of opening an air and space museum here - which I was unaware of. I'm trying to get in touch with the right people to help petition with them to do so, as aviation is my shining needle in a haystack of history.

Even if both of those fall through, my possibilities are pretty much endless.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"..."If I had permitted my failures, or what seemed to me at the time a lack of success to discourage me, I cannot see any way in which I ever would have made progress." --- Calvin Coolidge

From the man that helped bring us the Great Depression, lol.

• Like 1

Finals week is here, but I only have two actual classes with in-class exams left. I have two papers, one of which I will begin working on tonight, continue into tomorrow and Tuesday, and another that will be sent in on Wednesday - ending the semester.

I thank James Taylor Quartet for getting me through the last week and this upcoming week...it's hard to get uptight and stressed with this kind of stuff...