Shortwave question...

Mighty Favog

• Moderators

http://time.is/GMT

The DoD uses the Naval Observatory to set all military time and GPS satellites,

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/master-clock

You have one of those watches that automatically adjust?

How does is account for the time that the radio waves take to arrive at your watch?

I miss the days when you could call "popcorn"

But whatever station transmitted the time "pulse" out of Ft. Collins, CO hasn't been easy for me to receive for a long time.

Interestingly I can pick up the atomic signal ONLY when I wear my watch to bed. Apparently the human body makes a pretty good antenna.

Edited by JL Sargent

Mighty One.

Are you saying you used to be able to be able to hear WWV on your little Sony?

I'd think that some sort of even modest antenna and a ground will be very helpful.

When in Dallas I can hear WWV on at least one band during the day.  Probably 15 MHz, rather than 5 MHz or 10 MHz.  That is with a Flex Radio QRP rig with an antenna and ground.  At night the latter two  freqs work too.

Back in my New York days WWV was not quite as strong but the radio was not so good.  OTOH CHU was always fairly strong.  You might have better luck with CHU at your location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHU_(radio_station)

WMcD

I have an atomic watch I doubt that Casio would consider the .055 seconds it takes for the signal to come to me (I read that figure somewhere).

But, yea, that tiny Sony used to pull it in pulse noises after fiddling around with the tuning dial for a minute or so at 10.00 on 31m. It wouldn't be a strong signal but it was discernable. But that little radio doesn't have the other 2.5, 5, 15 or 20 Mhz. on the dial. All it does have a about an 8" whip antenna.

According to the interwebs, KIH42 is listed as a NWS station near Cincinnati, but WWV still broadcasts time at 10 MHz.  I miss the telephone number you could call and hear the time broadcast. 

This one?   (303) 499-7111

I have to reset my old fashioned watch a lot but it's a good feeling to have it set perfectly - at least I know that I'm right about at least one thing.  My cell phone is right on the button, it's a Blackberry and it has a killer clock app :D.