Nakamichi receivers

red1302

Has anyone experience with this brand of stereo receivers? I've seen some on eBay that were made in Japan, and others made in Malaysia.

Besides the budget prices, what caught my attention is that many models have a phono stage and can be used as pre-amplifiers, which I am in need of.

Let me add that I am not an audiophile. I am just looking for something that will meet my needs and can be had for not much money.

Also what kind of lamp is best to use with the turntable RPM discs that are available from Vinylengine?

Thanks,

John

I owned an AV-500 that I sold to billybob. It was my first AVR that had output over 50 Watts a channel and sounded wonderful. Many Nak components are sought after by audioheads still.

I would have a Nak amp just for two channel listening again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

phono stage and can be used as pre-amplifiers, which I am in need of.

There's this guy that's designed to do just that. ($149 - new)

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-1

And this: ($129 - new)

http://schiit.com/products/mani

And this one: ($89 - refurb)

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/camb551pbl/cambridge-audio-azur-551p-moving-magnet-phono-preamplifier-black/1.html

Not to mention all of the AVR's out there that have phono amps built in.

The Nakamichi receivers to look for are the ones that will have "STASIS" written on the front panel.  These are the Nelson Pass designs.  They should be the SR-2A, SR-3A, SR-4A, TA-2A, TA-3A, and TA-4A.  The SR-1A and TA-1A were not STASIS models to my recollection.

• Like 2

I purchased Integra for this reason, I was not impressed.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are a lot of kits out there that are great pre amps.   One of the things that comes to mind with older units, like DJK posted, you will need to run the piece through the shop.  This brings up the cost of the unit, if its worth it to you than do it.  If you are on a budget Ibizaflame brings up another good point, a person could purchase a newer unit that sounds great a lot cheaper than refurbishing one.

The SA versions were made in Japan (more desireable).  The TA versions in Malaysia/Taiwan.  Ditto on the models with STASIS very nice sounding units.

I bought a TA-4A brand new for $1,250 and they are STASIS and made in Japan, so you have holes in your theory.

My sister still owns that TA4A, the Quartets and Nakamichi CD player I bought all on the same day.

The TA4A is a great sounding 100 watt RMS receiver with STASIS amp and pre outs. They go for about $400 on eBay and are much nicer than the SA model.

I still use four Nakamichi amplifiers to drive my 7 channels for surround sound duty, two PA-7's at 200 watts per channel RMS and two PA-7II's at 225 watts per channel RMS, all STASIS design amplifiers.

I would not hesitate one instant to recommend a TA4A receiver to you for great sound, my sisters husband also owns a Nakamichi TA2A as well for his bedroom.

Roger

• Like 1

I purchased Integra for this reason, I was not impressed.

Of course some are better than others. I have never had a problem with either Yamaha or Pioneer onboard preamps when handling turntables. Never owned Integra.

Thanks for all the replies. I did wonder how much restoration was needed on these amps. The power amp I use is a kit from ClassDAudio  http://www.classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits/cda-258-kit.html, which was a blast to assemble. the "preamp" I'm using is this http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc754pp.html. The "preamp is around three years old and the volume pot is "scratchy ,even after a dose of Deoxit. 

I did build a "Quickie" preamp from Bottlehead, when completed, It has hissed , scratched, and popped terribly whenever I have wired to the system.

Duder, you have alluded to kits. Are they "from scratch kits" or are they more like my amp kit? I can use a soldering iron as long as the solder points are not too detailed (I have Cerebral Palsy in right arm and hand.) The reason the "Quickie" was a failure.

Is anyone aware of a "preassembled" kit that incorporates a phono stage and one other input stage and power source? As I stated above the amp kit was fun to put together.

I do appreciate everyone's input. That is what makes these forums so great.

Thanks,

John

I owned an AV-500 that I sold to billybob. It was my first AVR that had output over 50 Watts a channel and sounded wonderful. Many Nak components are sought after by audioheads still.

*Zuess has first dibs on it, lol. Thinking the specs were 120 watts fronts on that gem I got from you w/50 watt rears.

Audioreview sure liked it. Still sounds like seperates. No kidding ;) Used the sub out to my inwall for 3 channel.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

*Zuess has first dibs on it, lol. Thinking the specs were 120 watts fronts on that gem I got from you w/50 watt rears.

Audioreview sure liked it. Still sounds like seperates. No kidding ;) Used the sub out to my inwall for 3 channel.

Rub it in, that's fine :) :) :)

Mark

• Like 2

• 3 years later...