Any pool repair people here? Pump question

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a Pentair variable speed pump that juts died.  Water got in the controller right after I rebuilt the motor. 

The entitre pump needs to be replaced.  This stinks that I cannot replace the controller or boards in there.  Any experiance with this?

Is the Intelliflo worth it (up tp 3 HP about $900) or is the superflow (1.5 hp about $650) OK for the job? 

A 3 HP pump for a small, private pool is completely unnecessary.  My biggest pool is about 30K gallons and high traffic.  A 1.5 HP pump is all I use.  1 main drain, 2 skimmers, sand filter, 2" lines.

Keep some dough in your pocket, get the 1.5 :emotion-21:

IMO - Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Your filter should have a recommended flow rate, follow it.

Much depends if the pool is in ground or above as well changing your flow rate.

Keep in mind i know nothing about pools but this is pretty basic stuff.

If you have any doubts look up the information in your filter manual.

Why variable speed?  The more electronics you have in a pool system, the higher the expense and the more likely it will fail.  Any way to convert to a plain pump?

Well, my thoughts, ---   More electronics - Definitely higher fail possibility.

But, supposedly, variable rate = cheaper electrical bill overall.

I keep it "Old School", never had any problem.

But, at end, I agree w CECAA (from what I know),  KISS, and do not overhorse for KWH $ reasons.

There is SO much , SO frustrated now, WHAT's the word, ??????  intelligible discernible  Google info on this subject.   Lars   

I had to order the more expensive pump.  If no, I will have to redo my plumbing to match up with the lower cost pump and I do not feel like it.

I will just run it at low speed like I did in the past. 

More money down the drain for a useless amenity. 

If you do not have a pool, never put one it.  Use it for a few years, then let is suck money from you for years to come.  After a while, it winds up costing you $100's each time you use the pool (maybe over $1k per dip in the pool) because they get used so little.  What a waste. 

I had to order the more expensive pump.  If no, I will have to redo my plumbing to match up with the lower cost pump and I do not feel like it.

I will just run it at low speed like I did in the past. 

More money down the drain for a useless amenity. 

If you do not have a pool, never put one it.  Use it for a few years, then let is suck money from you for years to come.  After a while, it winds up costing you $100's each time you use the pool (maybe over $1k per dip in the pool) because they get used so little.  What a waste. 

I just have to say, in my case, TOTALLY disagree.

Surprisingly cheap in all respects and WAY lower maintenance than anticipated.

Just my mileage.   Lars

If no, I will have to redo my plumbing to match up with the lower cost pump and I do not feel like it.

PVC fittings are relatively cheap.  I do agree about the overall cost of a pool.  I had to rip my heat exchanger apart a couple weekends ago and replace a couple parts.  It was only $35.00 in parts but I'm sure if I hired someone to do it, the charges would have easily been in the hundreds of dollars.

I would have to agree with Lars, I have little maintenance cost at all but the key with me has always been about the water chemistry being darn close to perfect when it gets opened up and closed for the winter.  I have a 25,000 gallon pool and run a 1HP pump without any problems, it's a chlorine pool and a robotic cleaner.  Maybe we can help to make it easier but it takes me about 24 hrs  from when I remove the cover to have it balanced and ready to swim by first getting the PH perfect, then the alkalinity and only then do I get the chlorine levels correct or you will just battle it.  After that, it's keeping a couple tablets in the system and shocking every few weeks.